Got the Audio Technica AD2000
Jan 23, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #196 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think to truly assess a headphone, you need to use it and compare it over some time period, and as your senses adjust and calibrate, you appreciate the sound for what it is, rather than its comparative differences to the previous headphone you were most familiar with .
Switching from the 595 to the AD2000 may make someone feel the (fuzzy) bass slam is gone and the warmth is less, whereas if you listen to the AD2000 on its own for some period, it seems nicely balanced for its own presentation, at least that has been my experience with the music I listen to.

This is totally true. listening to the ad2ks right after the 595 makes it seem imbalanced at first just like going from the ad2k to the 595 makes the 595s sound like garbage. Listening for a longer period of time with all genres of music, the 595s just don't compete with the ad2000s. Classical is amazing on these. I can't believe how people can hate these with violins at least.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #197 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
coolag7.gif

LOL
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
... How true
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #198 of 305
yup, I think I am done. listening to rodrigos concierto de aranjuez gave me goosebumps on my ad2000s. It is not the most refined can but i am really happy with them now. Now to get some magnepan mg12s! hehehe

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #200 of 305
Mar 14, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #203 of 305
Why conditioner? That'd make 'em gross and oily, no?

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #204 of 305
once rinsed off, conditioner is not oily. It made my senn 595s pads stay soft. The time I didn't use conditioner they were a little stiffer. It sort of feels like using fabric softener. I'm not talking about the leave on conditioner stuff, just the basic bath conditioner.

The reason I was asking this is that the ad2ks look like the pads are made of suede instead of velour. Wonder if washing them with shampoo will damage them

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #206 of 305
I got these today.

I've been listening to them the whole day through the zero(LT1364dac/LT1361amp) trying to get what they are all about, but I just didn't see it. They were very cold, sterile, and bassless. The good deep bass which everyone raves about just wasn't there. I almost fell sorry for buying them.

15 minutes ago I swiched the LT1361 in the amp section of the zero for LT1469 and the headphone is completely changed. It is no longer cold and lifeless
smily_headphones1.gif
This headphone is actually something I could like very much now
smily_headphones1.gif
It's like the sun shines through the clouds and warms my cheeks after a cold rainy night.

The AD2000 must be a very amp dependant headphone for me. I think a warm amp would take these phones to the next level for me.

Something like a Yamamoto HA-02 perhaps, or darkvoice 332, little dot mkIII?

EDIT: From listening a bit more to ad2000, I think that it really might be the headphone to live with for me. Need to pair it with a good synergizing amp which adds a slight bit of warmth (like the LT1469 did) and just a tad more bass than neutral.

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #207 of 305
They get much better with burn in and a good set up. You will be very pleased - especially with some padding added to the rear of the ear pads.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #209 of 305
all i can say about the bass is that it is still more than neutral even straight from the ipod headphone jack. it is just that everyone of us need different amounts of bass to compensate for that physical bass we get from a live performance or speakers that shake our entire body

Apr 5, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #210 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by zanimation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are some really good synergizing amps for the AD2000? I've read the SS amps are better as the AD2Ks are pretty transparent. I've heard about gilmore lite / GS-1 being pretty good amps for the AD2K. How much better is the GS-1 over the lite?

I want to know this too, as I'm very close to getting a new amp.

How do they work with tubeamps like Little Dot MKIII / DV332 / YamamotoHA-02 / Mapletree Ear+ purist HD?

Which SS amps works well? Little Dot MKV / ECSS / Gilmore Lite ?

I rather not get an amp which does not work well with my other cans, so Glite is out I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back