Got the Audio Technica AD2000
Jan 8, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #181 of 305
They give you how that sound will sound if you know what each frequency sounds like. I was an avid eq person during my car audio days and could adjust my systems to measure flat by ear then measure with an RTA to confirm my adjustment. Just remember though that tonality is different from transient response and some people get these confused. Ex people thinking grados are very fast because of the fact that they can't reach deep down in the bass enhances that effect even though the lack of deep bass has nothing to do with a cans speed.

I don't pretend to be an expert however that I can totally tell how a transducer/headphone sounds just by looking at its measured freq response. I could only go so far because there are so many other factors that come to play which is why listening first is the best way to judge before buying. Now my problem is that I live in a place where doing that is not an option and I have to buy to try.

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #182 of 305
welcome to the club........ almost no one has access to try most of the headphones. Just gotta suck it up and buy one and give it a try if you are in search for a good headphone.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #183 of 305
Doing more experimentation, I find that the headfive's crossfeed is actually a good thing for the ad2000s sound tonally. It seems to solidify the sound by getting rid of those resonances which I though were from the earcups turning out to be hard panned info that sounded like exaggerated detail without the crossfeed on

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #184 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doing more experimentation, I find that the headfive's crossfeed is actually a good thing for the ad2000s sound tonally. It seems to solidify the sound by getting rid of those resonances which I though were from the earcups turning out to be hard panned info that sounded like exaggerated detail without the crossfeed on

Talking about "experimentation"... have you ever tried to stuff some cotton wool under the pads? I've done that right after I got them since the drivers were resting on my ears, which turned out to be a little painful over time.
I really love my AD2Ks that way, I'd be interested to read what you think of the mod. By the way: it should suffice to stuff some cotton wool under the bottom area of the pads only, where the cables enter the housing. The idea is to create more distance between the drivers and your ears, it seems to work well for me.

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #186 of 305
Quote:

My ears don't touch the insides though. I've never had that problem

Well, nevertheless you could try what it changes for you soundwise. It's no harm to the phones if you stuff cotton wool in there, you can easily remove it again. The whole process requires 5 minutes at most.

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #188 of 305
...and cables...at least platinum or gold...
crazy.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #189 of 305
hahaha. There are days that I love them and some days the midrange is not good enough but I think I'll keep them unless the next headphone I get totally kills them in all departments. After all they are still the best I've got. Maybe one day I'll get the r10. Maybe one of those modded denons will do, who knows. Anyways the ad2ks are great but not good enough to make me feel that the music on it sounds real. Upgradeitus is still in full effect
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #190 of 305
Either the ad2ks have settled or my brain is fully burned in to them because I now love them even with classical! violins are awesome with these cans. The 595s sound very thin in comparison. wow. The thing of it is that they give the best tonal balance straight out of the ipods headphone jack among my sources. The line out to headfive might give a little more realism to the instruments and more dynamics and slam but it adds too much midbass for my tastes and adds a curtain of veil to the mids and highs. From anything to the headfive, the midbass is bloated and bothers me quite a bit. The headfives did that with my hd555s too but makes the thin midbass of the 595s seem more neutral.

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #191 of 305
The leading edges are a little soft with the ipod as a source though compared to my laptops headphone jack. A lavry might be all I need to maximize these cans

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #193 of 305
Quote:

I think I might be done for at least a year with headphone purchases

coolag7.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #195 of 305
I finally got rid of my 595s and the new owner is loving it. I haven't heard it on his system yet but he says he is using ipods treble booster eq into his nad integrated amp and it sounds great. I'm doubtful but still want to listen to it since he lives less than 10 miles away from me. I got a wharfedale subwoofer for the 595s. great blend with my klipsch speakers.

The AD2ks have really made me content(for now) hehehe. They totally trash the jmlab speakers that I'm listening to right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back