Got my Ray Samuels B-52!!!
Aug 12, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #31 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
listen and listen closely..

first off do not plg the b52 in any power conditioners of any kind, plug it strait into the wall. sonics will be destroyed. get used of it without power crap then try it if you so feel after weeks on end of strait to the wall.

<snip>

Respectfully, while I do agree with you regarding cheap power conditioners, the OP's P500 is an AC re-generator, not a power conditioner. Apples and oranges.

I use the regenerated AC for everything but my power amp with phenomenal results. I'm guessing the OP really wishes he had his back from service.
icon10.gif

Apartment AC quality can be destructive--especially in older buildings. OP may need to protect his investment, thus the interim power conditioner.

-m

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #32 of 227
QUICK first impressions...

Holy crap, headphones can have bass. I've always assumed that this was just something you had to deal without. Obviously, we're not talking 15" subwoofer bass, but it's damn thumpin'.

Sound is very natural... it sounds much more live than my HeadRoom Balanced Desktop, which is a pretty darn good amp. It's really hard to close your eyes and not think the band is in the room with you.

So far the only negative... IT WON'T TURN OFF!!! Flipping the switch powered it on at first, but when I switched it back, nothing. I had to rip it out of the power strip to get it to turn off. Oh god, oh god, let Ray be able to troubleshoot this by phone, it will kill me to have to send it back for repair...

Other than that, I'm 200% satisfied with this thing. It is flat out the best sounding amp I've heard.

Oh, by the way, I took some photos, but it looks like the cleaning lady has moved my USB cable. I'll either find it tomorrow or get a new one, it's not like they're expensive.

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #33 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<Snippy snip snip...>

Oh, by the way, I took some photos, but it looks like the cleaning lady has moved my USB cable. I'll either find it tomorrow or get a new one, it's not like they're expensive.

Sack the wench immediately!!!
eek.gif

-m

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #34 of 227
Quote:

and one more thing..
What are you only using her for headphones? get into speakers somewhat and enjoy her REAL beauty.

Because I live in an apartment and I respect my neighbors. It's a freaking curse, man
biggrin.gif
. Trust me, I'd LOVE to have a nice set of speakers, but what's the point if you can't listen to them the way they're meant to be heard? Plus, there is no way I could get decent acoustics out of this place. It's SMALL, and it's made of drywall and cardboard. Ah, for now, I'm stuck on headphones.

Thanks for all the rest of the info, though. It's a lot to digest; I'm a total tube newbie. The PS Audio has a couple, for lack of the right word, "straight" jacks that aren't messed around with as far as the power shaping curves and what-not. I think it should be ok to run it out of this.

Aug 12, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #37 of 227
Yeah, but when you have no choice you have to believe that. I have two sets of fantastic speakers, in storage with some fine preamps and amps, so at this time. . . . headphones . . wi . . headphones . . wi ah win. . yeah. . ok . .

I do enjoy them though thank the music god I have something to listen to.

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #39 of 227
I have no insight on the power issue, but I have heard 4N6's B52 and it is SWEET!

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #40 of 227
Quote:

So far the only negative... IT WON'T TURN OFF!!! Flipping the switch powered it on at first, but when I switched it back, nothing. I had to rip it out of the power strip to get it to turn off. Oh god, oh god, let Ray be able to troubleshoot this by phone, it will kill me to have to send it back for repair...

Your a B52 owner man..Ray paying shipping both ways is not unheard. thats the good news you want the bad news?

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #42 of 227
Quote:

Holy crap, headphones can have bass. I've always assumed that this was just something you had to deal without. Obviously, we're not talking 15" subwoofer bass, but it's damn thumpin'.

Congrats, earwicker7!

Quote:

Sound is very natural... it sounds much more live than my HeadRoom Balanced Desktop, which is a pretty darn good amp. It's really hard to close your eyes and not think the band is in the room with you.

Oh s__t! I was afraid you'd say that. Now I'll be thinking about what I'm missing.

Quote:

Other than that, I'm 200% satisfied with this thing. It is flat out the best sounding amp I've heard.

Keep us posted on the problem of turning it off. There must be a simple explanation. Otherwise, what a bummer!

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #43 of 227
congrats! i might have missed it, but did you get black or silver? and sorry to hear about the on/off switch not working properly, hopefully you can fix it, yet if not Ray will take care of you and probably cover shipping too.

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #44 of 227
Quote:

I had the same issue with my B52 some time ago and I spoke with Ray on the phone; simple solution.

Push horizontally (push inward) on the on/off switch , when it is in the off position, until you feel it click, and then release the switch. It should work appropriately now. This maneuver seems to reset the switch. Mine has now worked flawlessy with no recurrent issues.

I'm using the B-52 with a HD650/balanced Equinox cable and I can't be more positive about the sound.

Aryaah

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #45 of 227
Quote:

and wrestling is real...

what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back