mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Dude, I haven't even left work yet!!! Tonight is going to be pure listening... I'll try to post pics tomorrow morning/early afternoon.

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, I haven't even left work yet!!! Tonight is going to be pure listening... I'll try to post pics tomorrow morning/early afternoon.

NEVER EVER POST SUCH A THING WITHOUT PICS! [size=x-large]EVER![/size]

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 227
Holy crap, after listing all my components, I decided to add up how much I spent... $20,018. I am such an addict. I've always joked that my headphone rig is worth more than my car, but now it's official... the car was $14,000.

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #19 of 227
Quote:

Holy crap, after listing all my components, I decided to add up how much I spent... $20,018. I am such an addict. I've always joked that my headphone rig is worth more than my car, but now it's official... the car was $14,000.

Easy solution to that. Get a new car.

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy solution to that. Get a new car.

Honestly, a car just isn't a priority for me. My first car was a 1971 Porsche 911... it rocked, it was fun as hell, fast as hell, and even got me a couple of dates with very shallow women. But I ended up selling it after a couple of years because it constantly broke down and cost me major $$$. Since then I've been budget cars all the way.

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 227
Quote:

Sorry man I am sure you're a nice guy and should enjoy your purchases as you see fit *but* this is the land of Head-fi where pics are first required of all citizens!

Why not set up a webcam in your house and publish it to the web-- then we can see it without you needing to bother pulling out your camera.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #22 of 227
Oh and yes, Congratulations on your major purchase.

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #23 of 227
Quote:

money well spent. that seteup will give you years and years of audio bliss.

congrats.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #26 of 227
Just to bring up cars again, I thought about trading my car for a B-52 when I heard the thing earlier this year.

That would be a long bike ride to work though.

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #27 of 227
listen and listen closely..

first off do not plg the b52 in any power conditioners of any kind, plug it strait into the wall. sonics will be destroyed. get used of it without power crap then try it if you so feel after weeks on end of strait to the wall.

every power cable i tried also hurt the sonics, a nice thick stock wire will do.

do not double load her, either balanced headphone or unbalanced at one time, it can drive both but again sonics go down.

since your only using the headphone out and not the pre out then forget to play with the back right two tubes..those are pre outs only.

12ax7 on the inputs are two high of gain, dont waste your time and money.

12au7 telefunken and 5687 tungsols are a dream match for headphones..best match i found for the gs1000 and 600's. the 650s may have a bit to much bass with this combo, for them i would try different 12au7's with the tung's. another headphone that sparkles is the 701 with this match on the b52..omg!

try out enigma onemal ic's also, i found them better then my Cardas Neutral that i had before. plus if you sold the cardas that could be more money for tubes.

the power supply has no heat but considering you have 8 tubes on top i would give the head section good clearance. with my setup the top of the unit barely gets warm.

if your going to stack the two units with the stock spikes watch it! one wrong move and you'll have a cute scratch on top of the power supply like i do on mine.

keep the phono input at one end and the cd input on the opposite end of the selector.

keep your xr-2 away from the power supply, not much will happen but youll notice if you move them close while listening to a silent section of the vinyl..

and one more thing..
What are you only using her for headphones? get into speakers somewhat and enjoy her REAL beauty. try 600's with cardas balanced if you get bored and have money..its soooooo ****ing nice!

i have pics up here all over the place if you search...maybe we should start a tube rolling b52 thread huh? congrats on the best pre amp i ever heard..preamp..hehe

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #28 of 227
Ray builds beaaaautiful amps. I love the solid well designed looks and I know the sound has to be fantastic. Worth saving for I would say. I would just sit and stare at it. I love tubes and I love quality and it has both.

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #29 of 227
MIGHTY CONGRATULATIONS!

Screw these guys and their demands for pics.

Just enjoy yourself and wallow in the music from a spectacular amp!

It is a powerhouse. The only amp that made me really enjoy the Grado PS1 -- with Ray's mil-spec ICs, of course (now if you can just acquire those for your phones…).

It also blew the socks off the Senns I heard with it -- both the 600s (my pref) and the 650s.

I heard the Apache do astounding things with the K701 and Sony MDR-R10, but I didn't get to hear these with the B52 -- but I expect they'll be at least as wonderful.

Just glorious.

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #30 of 227
Quote:

Here's my main rig...

CD Player--Opus 21 modified by Great Northern Sound
Digital Interconnects--LAT IC-300 Signature
Vinyl--VPI Scout with Shelter 501 cartridge (may upgrade)
Phono Stage--some brand I can't remember that Todd the Vinyl Junkie is letting me borrow until I get my Ray Samuels XR-2
Analog Interconnects--Cardas Neutral Reference
Power Supply--PS Audio P500 (currently being repaired, so I'm now using a horrible computer-store wonder)
Amp--Ray Samuels B-52
Phones--Balanced HD-650 (StefanArt cable on the way), AudioTechnica ATH-W2002, Grado GS1000 is ordered and on the way

Whew, that took some thinking!

Hmmm... we use the same turntable (using dynavector karat mk2), power supply and headphones (HD-650, unbalanced).

I think the P500 may be picky about tube stuff. You may want to research whether to use multi-wave.

I too am eying the XR-2. I like its innate tweakiness.

I'd just love to try the B-52 as a preamp feeding my Bryston 4B-SST.

I'd love to teach your grandmother to suck eggs...
tongue.gif

-m

P.S., gratz!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back