Got me them Panasonic HJE900 for 110 bucks
Mar 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #271 of 287
^ Sorry to hear that, they should have better treble extension than the PL50. I did an A/B with the RE0 a few days ago, listening to extremly high violin notes, and the HJE900 did an awesome job. Extension was on par with the RE0 and refinement was noticably better. However (as for refinement), I had mine foam modded.

Sadly the filter issue is rather widespread and there's a good chance they'll come off your replacement pair too, so be on your guard.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #272 of 287
=/ tough luck. I've recently been A/Bing the two sides since they are filterless to maek sure everything is fine. Luckily, everythings ok. The filter thing is a very common problem, but disparity between the two earpieces isn't =/ Good luck with your replacement!

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #273 of 287
I just found out about this thread......... I've been an owner of the CZs for about two weeks and these are really freaking sweet. First i was listening to low bit rate songs with these and thought these aren't really any different from my ADDIEM, then I listened to my MUSE FLAC files and was pretty much blown away.

On another note, of the people who have tried the UE and Sony hybrid tips which tips worked the best, which double flange tips have you guys used and sounded pretty good.

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #274 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by MKang25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found out about this thread......... I've been an owner of the CZs for about two weeks and these are really freaking sweet. First i was listening to low bit rate songs with these and thought these aren't really any different from my ADDIEM, then I listened to my MUSE FLAC files and was pretty much blown away.

On another note, of the people who have tried the UE and Sony hybrid tips which tips worked the best, which double flange tips have you guys used and sounded pretty good.

Glad to hear you are enjoying them!

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but pretty much everyone I've read who's tried standard UE style tips and the hybrids has said the UE style ones are better. Note I'm saying UE "style", I doubt theres a big sonic difference between UE tips and other tips of the same overall shape. I've used meelec tips and the hybrids and certainly prefer the meleec ones. The hybrids congest the soundstage and warm things up, while slightly attenuating the treble. They're not bad at all really, but the hybrids tend to take away from precisely the qualities people tend to love with these, like soundstage and imaging, clarity, and extension(though the treble attenuation can be good for some to counteract sometimes harsh treble). I've only used Meelec biflanges, and they work well enough, but to me they seem to widen but flatten the soundstage while and take away from the transparency. A bit only though.

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #275 of 287

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I have a source for those genuine UE single flange tips you found superior to the ones that came with the 900's? I sure want to try them.

I'm using the same UE single flanges and buy my spare tips from here:

Ultimate Ears Super.fi Single Flange Silicone Tips (5 Pairs) - Ultimate Ears Replacement Tips

Sorry to bring alive an older thread, but I just got a pair of the HJE-900 and would like to find the middle size UE tips. Does this guy ever carry the middle size? He only has small and large and there's no contact email address to contact him to ask. Thanks.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #276 of 287

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyostrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont think that these are really the sleeping kind of earphones...

They are actually. I've slept with them on numerous times.

I have slept with IEMs (specifically Sony 51/71 and Creative 630) on a daily basis for years and years. As much as I love the HJE-900, they are definitely not comfortable for use during sleep. My ears really hurt the next morning--and this coming from a person who has slept with IEMs for many, many years. I'd have to agree that these are are definitely not the sleeping kind of IEMs.

Quote:
anyone have experience comparing them to UE700?

I'd love to see a comparison of the HJE-900 and the UE700. I think the UE700 would be very comfortable while used during sleep.

Quote:
daouda said:

Hmm.. i like my bass, sure have some basshead tendencies, but am not one for sure. My VB have too much sub-bass for my tastes, the M9 way too much midbass, and i find the pr1pro bass amount just about perfect but could tolerate and even in some cases enjoy a tiny bit more... hope HJE900 bass quantity is not too much more than pr1pro bass quantity
Also, i listen to a lot of old tracks and badly recorded stuff (older and even newer african & cuban music), i hope the foam mod will at least make them listenable

Daouda, what happened to you? Did you start your own thread? Having read this entire thread, it seemed you were the most excited about getting the HJE-900, and yet, nothing has been heard from you after you, ostensibly, received your pair. Comments? Do you find them too bassy? Not bassy enough? How does your less-than-stella original source music sound with the HJE-900? Are the deficiencies being amplified/exaggerated? I do find the HJE-900 will spotlight all the deficiencies of a low bit-rate music/sound source.

There's not a lot of cons to these 'phones. Basically two main cons for some are 1) cable may be a bit short for taller folk and 2) the highs maybe a bit too harsh/sibilant. Other than that, they seem like very capable all-arounder pair of phones for a broad demographic. Real bass heads need not apply. These do not have a lot of bass for real bass heads.

My personal complaint is that 1) they're uncomfortable to use during sleeping and 2) they're a bit heavy when you wear it hanging down. Wearing it over one's ears helps to alleviate the weight of the CZs, but then it makes the already short cord even shorter.

Love the build quality of these. I can't imagine a more solidly built pair of 'phones. I read that the CK-10s are even better; I'd love to see one myself. For now, the HJE-900 ranks a solid 10/10 in terms of build quality for me. Everyone talks about SQ on this forum--as they should this being an 'audiophile' forum--but the SQ is pointless if the phones/cabling easily break down. So for me, the build quality was an extremely important factor in my decision to purchase these. The HJE-900 just feels solid and substantial, both in terms of sound quality and build quality.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #277 of 287
BUILD quality may be good, but quality CONTROL seems to be lacking.  My new HJE900s died in less than a week.  I noticed that one of the buds was quieter than the other after a few days, and now that driver will sometimes go dead entirely.  It's not a cable issue since I can swap the buds and the same thing happens.

I also didn't really enjoy the sound.  The bottom end is a little bloated and the highs are shrill and undetailed.

I was going to try to get panasonic support to handle this, but I'm now just going to return them to the retailer and hopefully enjoy the UE 700s I just ordered.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #278 of 287

Quote:

I have slept with IEMs (specifically Sony 51/71 and Creative 630) on a daily basis for years and years. As much as I love the HJE-900, they are definitely not comfortable for use during sleep. My ears really hurt the next morning--and this coming from a person who has slept with IEMs for many, many years. I'd have to agree that these are are definitely not the sleeping kind of IEMs.

I'd love to see a comparison of the HJE-900 and the UE700. I think the UE700 would be very comfortable while used during sleep.

Daouda, what happened to you? Did you start your own thread? Having read this entire thread, it seemed you were the most excited about getting the HJE-900, and yet, nothing has been heard from you after you, ostensibly, received your pair. Comments? Do you find them too bassy? Not bassy enough? How does your less-than-stella original source music sound with the HJE-900? Are the deficiencies being amplified/exaggerated? I do find the HJE-900 will spotlight all the deficiencies of a low bit-rate music/sound source.

There's not a lot of cons to these 'phones. Basically two main cons for some are 1) cable may be a bit short for taller folk and 2) the highs maybe a bit too harsh/sibilant. Other than that, they seem like very capable all-arounder pair of phones for a broad demographic. Real bass heads need not apply. These do not have a lot of bass for real bass heads.

My personal complaint is that 1) they're uncomfortable to use during sleeping and 2) they're a bit heavy when you wear it hanging down. Wearing it over one's ears helps to alleviate the weight of the CZs, but then it makes the already short cord even shorter.

Love the build quality of these. I can't imagine a more solidly built pair of 'phones. I read that the CK-10s are even better; I'd love to see one myself. For now, the HJE-900 ranks a solid 10/10 in terms of build quality for me. Everyone talks about SQ on this forum--as they should this being an 'audiophile' forum--but the SQ is pointless if the phones/cabling easily break down. So for me, the build quality was an extremely important factor in my decision to purchase these. The HJE-900 just feels solid and substantial, both in terms of sound quality and build quality.

Hmm shame they are uncomfortable for you sleeping, for me on the other hand, these are one of the few IEMs I've used I can sleep comfortably with =P But glad you are enjoying their sound! 

Also, I believe Douda did get his, and he seemed to have liked them about equally to his VBs. He did seem to enjoy them overall, from my memory. He just mentioned it in another thread.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #279 of 287

Quote:
BUILD quality may be good, but quality CONTROL seems to be lacking.  My new HJE900s died in less than a week.  I noticed that one of the buds was quieter than the other after a few days, and now that driver will sometimes go dead entirely.  It's not a cable issue since I can swap the buds and the same thing happens.

I also didn't really enjoy the sound.  The bottom end is a little bloated and the highs are shrill and undetailed.

I was going to try to get panasonic support to handle this, but I'm now just going to return them to the retailer and hopefully enjoy the UE 700s I just ordered.

pj325is, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I'd be very disappointed--probably quite pissed--if mine dies after a week. If you don't like the sound, you don't like the sound. I'm quite interested in the UE-700 myself. Please do share your experiences with those. I'm especially interested in their build quality of the cable and its strain relief as I would use them while sleeping.

Quote:
Hmm shame they are uncomfortable for you sleeping, for me on the other hand, these are one of the few IEMs I've used I can sleep comfortably with =P But glad you are enjoying their sound! 

Also, I believe Douda did get his, and he seemed to have liked them about equally to his VBs. He did seem to enjoy them overall, from my memory. He just mentioned it in another thread.

Hi Napilopez. I do enjoy the HJE-900 very much. I just don't/can't use them while sleeping.
bigsmile_face.gif
They definitely hurts my ears. But if they work for you while sleeping, then they work. More power to you. 
wink_face.gif
  No need to debate what works or what doesn't work, as we each have our varying comfort level.

I have no intentions of returning my HJE-900 as I like them quite a bit, but I am still looking for a high quality--both SQ and BQ--pair of IEMs to use while sleeping. I like the footprint of the Jay q-Jays and the UE700 but am definitely concerned about their build quality with specific regards to cabling and strain relief if used during sleep.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #280 of 287
just got a second hand pair from fellow head-fier 2rooi123. im a bit disappointed though. i have a ep630 which i have been using for a good two years already and comparing these two on flac tracks(Tool and John Coltrane albums), i cant say the price difference was worth it(except for build quality). i can still hear the same things just different color or sound levels. if this is my observation, is it safe to say that getting high end customs in the future won't be worth it for me either?

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #281 of 287

Quote:
just got a second hand pair from fellow head-fier 2rooi123. im a bit disappointed though. i have a ep630 which i have been using for a good two years already and comparing these two on flac tracks(Tool and John Coltrane albums), i cant say the price difference was worth it(except for build quality). i can still hear the same things just different color or sound levels. if this is my observation, is it safe to say that getting high end customs in the future won't be worth it for me either?

I don't know, do some more listening, give yourself some time. I take literally weeks of hours of listening to all sorts of different material at different volumes and in different moods before I decidedly decide on a can, IEM, or speaker (I don't understand those who think they love or hate some gear after listening to it, distracted, on not their own setup, for about 2 or 20 minutes at best at some meet or store). It is true though that usually if I just don't like a can/IEM/speaker within a bit of listening (at least about 20 minutes here though) then I don't like it no matter how much I try to get used to it. BUT if I do at least like a can/IEM/speaker overall (or don't hear any big flaw in it) even if I'm not blown away first off, then I can grow to really like it later on. Not always though.

Anyway, I think, the longer and longer I mess with hi-fi gear (around 5 years now) that it isn't so much a matter of price than how much one simply likes the sound signature of any piece of gear. Some people hate Grado sound and it doesn't much matter what model or what they cost, others, like me, enjoy it (though it does have its strengths and weaknesses) but dislike something like the Senn sound signature (from what I've heard anyway: the 600, 650, and 595's, either owned or borrowed from a friend for extended periods/house sitting). So I would actually prefer a Grado SR60 or 80 to the Senn's I listed costing many times as much (and, in fact, I do). It's not that I think the Senns are "bad" or low-fi, it's just that I don't like their SS. And I recognize the Grado's as being colored and not really that refined (although the highest model I've heard is my 225i's), but I still like their overall SS. Then again, I prefer my AKG 702's out of all my headphones and all I've heard. And some think those just sound off or weird (and, in a way, they do).

So...just because you don't like these particular IEM's right off or will not in the future might not at all mean that you wouldn't like/love some at half the price (like your 630's) or more than twice the price (like customs) simply because you prefer their SS to these. Don't go by price alone, it's more of a matter of what SS you prefer in all things audio imo.

Oh yea, and I just ordered these. Couldn't resist the $90 shipped price. The only other IEM's I've had are my old RE2's I got for $30 after the price reduction. They are fine really, I like them, but they are nothing exceptional. Needed to upgrade, and liked the SS description of these over some cheaper IEM's ($50 to $80) I was considering.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #282 of 287
sorry but i did not have a chance to go through all 19 pages but i know these are good for rock which is one of the major categories i listen to. but are these good for classical which i listen to just about as much as rock? and how bout hip hop and other such as electronic/metal?

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #284 of 287

Quote:
sorry but i did not have a chance to go through all 19 pages but i know these are good for rock which is one of the major categories i listen to. but are these good for classical which i listen to just about as much as rock? and how bout hip hop and other such as electronic/metal?

Hey you already ordered these right? Why worry? You'll hear for yourself soon enough =]. I for one, think they are great with classical thanks to a crystalline timbre, great soundstage depth, and detailed imaging/separation . I'd actually say some varieties of rock is one of their weaker genres, if I had to choose a weak one. That depends on taste though.

Quote:
Anyone........................How do the hje900's compare to the detail level of the er4s?

I haven't heard the er4s, but I own the etyomic MC5, and imo the HJE900s are as detailed, perhaps more. Just the MC5 maybe lets you pick out the details more easily because of it's less colored sound. I doubt the HJE900s would be as detailed as the ER4s, but they shouldn't be too far off from what I've read(again depending on tastes, and what you consider "far off"). They are certainly quite detailed, if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back