Got me them Panasonic HJE900 for 110 bucks
Mar 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #256 of 287
been lurking in this thread (and forum), a lot of useful info! I think i've finally decided to make these my first real pair of IEMs.

Quick question: a few people said the isolation was fine.. I also noticed a few saying that stuffing the tips with foam was a good idea for decent isolation.

I'm going to be wearing these a lot during a subway commute in NYC. If I get a good fit with the stock tips should I be okay with these isolating the drone of the subways decently?
Or should I buy some UE single flange/Comply T-400 with my purchase?

Thanks!

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #257 of 287
^ I'm one of those who think they have only average isolation, but I use them on the subway and it's ok. I'd try the stock tips first and only buy aftermarket if you're not satisfied.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #258 of 287
Get mine tomorrow!!! YES! It's good to be back. Although i found decent $40 alternative with the pure sounds pur-600. They don't sound quite high end of enough but they were a decent replacement.

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #260 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by slimer525 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
been lurking in this thread (and forum), a lot of useful info! I think i've finally decided to make these my first real pair of IEMs.

Quick question: a few people said the isolation was fine.. I also noticed a few saying that stuffing the tips with foam was a good idea for decent isolation.

I'm going to be wearing these a lot during a subway commute in NYC. If I get a good fit with the stock tips should I be okay with these isolating the drone of the subways decently?
Or should I buy some UE single flange/Comply T-400 with my purchase?

Thanks!

I'm in NYC and I find them totally fine on the subway, but it depends on exactly how much isolation you want. I personally don't want supremely isolating phones because I don't like being totally unaware of my surroundings.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #261 of 287
I read the entire thread
ksc75smile.gif

Only got half way through tho before I ordered my HJE900s from J&R.

I began my headphone life many years ago with the Sony MDR-D66. Since then I've purchased the newer Sony MDR-V6, the Sennheiser PX-100 and the Sennheiser CX-380.

My current PMP is a Cowon D2. Previously I have a Creative Zen Vision:M, before that, a 30 GB Archos (Jukebox Recorder). I have a couple Sansa Clips as well.

To me.. it just isn't worth spending $10,000 on a home audio system when you can get the same sound from a PMP and a nice set of cans (that you can carry with you).

I want to thank everyone for their reviews. I was about to pull the plug on the Sennheiser IE7 when I saw this thread.

Saved $70 and could have saved my marriage...
wink.gif

Craig

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #262 of 287
Where do the UM1 fit in this picture? They are more or less the same price. I have smaller ears so I'm thinking the UM1 might be a better fit and provide better isolation (usage on plane) but it sounds like the HJE900 might have better response at the high end ??

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #264 of 287
Glad you're enjoying them! To me the bass on the HJE900s is almost "just right" for me, with only a slight mid-bass hump which seems to be less apparent with time, weather by burn in or mental burn in.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #265 of 287
I actually enjoy my REOs and thought the bass was more than adequate provided I got a good seal. On first listen to the Pannies I was surprised at the quantity of the bass...but now after about 20 hours it does seem more "right" . Like you I wonder if its me getting used to them or them burning in. Whatever, I' m loving FEELING that kick drum...
regular_smile .gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #266 of 287
^ This is a subject for ongoing debate here on head-fi, flat frequency response versus what I call "lifelike frequency response". There are valid arguments for both and in the end it comes down to personal preference. I have both kinds of IEMs and catch myself preferring those with lifelike bass (feeling the air pressure of drums, the vibration of bass strings) more often, because they recreate the illusion of a live performance more convincingly for me.

With many bassier IEMs you have to trade more bass for less detail, and here's what I like about the HJE900: They can keep up in detail with flatter IEMs and deliver terrific kick drums at the same time. Glad you're enjoying the Pannies too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #267 of 287
I'm loving them as well, really enjoy them. Had them a couple of weeks now and we're inseparable.

I like a decent whack of bass, but I really hate it when it sounds artificial or boomy - I love all frequency ranges, but bass is used to convey power as well as beats. You need it to have enough oomph to do certain tracks justice.

Anyway, very musical IEMs, I think I've settled quite happily on these for a while.

Thinking about getting a nuforce uDAC - anyone think I would/wouldn't notice the difference with the pannies?

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #268 of 287
So I got these to replace my now defunct PL-50s. When I first tried them I honestly hated the sound. Treble is very harsh to my ears and the treble extension isn't all that good. The bass is okay except there is too much upper bass and not enough mids to balance it out.

So I decided to switch tips to see if it would change the sound signature at all. As soon as I take the tip off the filter falls out....

After I decored and installed my left over PL50 foam tips I thought the treble was a little less harsh but the treble extension wasn't any better.

In listening to a few different albums I noticed that cymbals coming out of the left side didn't have as much treble extension as those coming out of the right. So I turned on a sound generator for some pink noise and compared the two sides. I listened to both sides using the same ear to eliminate the possibility that my left ear can't hear high frequencies as well as my right. Sure enough, one of the headphones doesn't have as much treble as the other.

Needless to say I'm not too happy with Panasonic's QC at this point. I'm going try to get J&R to exchange these for another pair and hope for the best.

On a positive note, after 35 hours or so of burn in, the treble is less harsh. Assuming my second pair has the same treble extension as the good side of my current HJE900s, then I think I'll eventually be happy with them.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #269 of 287
To be absolutely sure about that treble thing, try switching the earpieces; they are detachable, after all.

You may also want to try the foam mod. I find burn in really helps these. its not a drastic change, but rather a nice refinement. Lack of treble extension is something I've never heard bout these.

Also, you might want to try Sony hybrids, which you can get from J&R. They attenuate treble a bit without killing it, and bring out the lower bass. I personally can't stand foamies on these, it totally kills the treble. Complies might work for you if you really think its too harsh. Alternatively, if burn in helps, wearing the complies backwards gives me one of my favorite sound sigs for these.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #270 of 287
To eliminate as many variables as possible I didn't use any ear piece at all and I switched the cables. Then I asked my girlfriend to give them a listen and see if she could tell a difference between the two. Without me telling her which one had less treble she picked it out the same as I did.
frown.gif

I tried the Sony hybrids and they didn't change the sound signature too much. They also don't have enough isolation for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back