Got me them Panasonic HJE900 for 110 bucks
Feb 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #137 of 287
Allright, after james latest post i am now convinced that these earphones are for me. Actually both these and the monster turbine pro look like the prefect fit for my tastes especially for the similar qualities that they seem to share (well E-Q7 would be even better but it is too expensive). Both have been said to be on the warmish side of neutral, with deep punchy bass (when called for it) and a very realistic timbre, although the MTP could possibly be an even better fit for me because they havent been accused of brightness or overly sharp treble, which i am sensitive to.

Actually those are my remaining concerns about the panasonics : i dislike brightness and really am sensitive to any treble harshness, and i do like my mids "unrecessed" or even slightly forward, but the foam mod should take care of all that, right?

Now about the pr1pro

Quote:

Hi, my fit with the PR1 Pro is fine, I get good isolation and sound characteristics match the descriptions. However, due to the shape of my outer ear canals and short corpus of the PR1 Pro (+ I hate that pointed backside) the fit is shallow and I can virtually adjust the soundstage width/depth by tilting them forward/backward. Still, my impression of their soundstage is average at best. Tilting them to gain some depth I lose some width, and vice versa.

This is VERY intersting because i had the EXACT same problem as yours. I was frustrated with these because no matter what tip i used and although the seal seemed to be fine, i noticed that i couldnt get their fullest sound unless i was tilting the outer part forward and slightly upward (thus rotating the inner part inwards and downwards). I finally resolved that problem using the double flange tips (even though i hate deep insertion i got used to it) that came with my meelec m9. This is weird because they look exactly the same as the one that came with the pr1pro with only a slightly wider stem opening (which implies a less secure fit on the nozzle, they sometimes stay stuck inside my ear!), but whereas the stock pr1pro biflange killed all the sub-bass, these give me a totally full sound that is a huge improvement, not only soundstage-wise, over any other tip i used. I suggest you try different biflanges (the kind that would fit on UE, most sennheiser and audio-technica nozzles) with the pr1pro with a quite deep insertion, and get back at us about that.

Now about frenchmen and english langage : most of french people do indeed suck really bad at english or any other foreign langage for that matter, but you wouldnt ever see them venture on english-speaking forums. Those who do have an above average english level for sure, but i still think that its pretty clear that french, spanish and italian have on average the worst english among all our fellow europeans. Besides me a a few others, or dervishd (who is spanish) you wont see a lot "latin" europeans on these boards.

EDIT: i dont mean to insist too hard, but i wanted to let you know that i also got a nice sound that also matched the pr1pro descriptions with the stock single flanges and the sony hybrids, detailed with deep punchy bass, good neutral mids and nice highs and wide soundstage(narrower with the hybrids); the improved fit just gave me an all around fuller sound, restored some soundstage depth (which might have been at the expense of some width), and brought out more details.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #138 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey James, as I've seen you've gotten the CK10, can you give me an idea of how the soundstage compares between the CK10 and the HJE900? Would be much appreciated.

Keep in mind that soundstage perception depends to a certain degree on tips and ear anatomy, so take this with a grain of salt: both IEMs have very nice soundstage width, certainly above average IMO. Depth is a bit less on the CK10, vocal jazz feels very intimate, like your sitting in front row whereas with the HJE900 you're sitting a bit further from the stage, let's say 3rd row. The CK10's pronouced highs makes you think they have a tad better instrument seperation, but on closer listening I can find no significant differences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Allright, after james latest post i am now convinced that these earphones are for me. Actually both these and the monster turbine pro look like the prefect fit for my tastes especially for the similar qualities that they seem to share (well E-Q7 would be even better but it is too expensive). Both have been said to be on the warmish side of neutral, with deep punchy bass (when called for it) and a very realistic timbre, although the MTP could possibly be an even better fit for me because they havent been accused of brightness or overly sharp treble, which i am sensitive to.

Actually those are my remaining concerns about the panasonics : i dislike brightness and really am sensitive to any treble harshness, and i do like my mids "unrecessed" or even slightly forward, but the foam mod should take care of all that, right?

Don't worry, the Panas' treble is quite tamed after the foam mod (but without losing much detail) and easy to digest. The CK10 is much more pronounced in this regard and without adequate bass counterbalance. Also the mids are noticably warmer on the HJE900, so I'm reasonably certain you will like them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now about the pr1pro

This is VERY intersting because i had the EXACT same problem as yours. I was frustrated with these because no matter what tip i used and although the seal seemed to be fine, i noticed that i couldnt get their fullest sound unless i was tilting the outer part forward and slightly upward (thus rotating the inner part inwards and downwards). I finally resolved that problem using the double flange tips (even though i hate deep insertion i got used to it) that came with my meelec m9. This is weird because they look exactly the same as the one that came with the pr1pro with only a slightly wider stem opening (which implies a less secure fit on the nozzle, they sometimes stay stuck inside my ear!), but whereas the stock pr1pro biflange killed all the sub-bass, these give me a totally full sound that is a huge improvement, not only soundstage-wise, over any other tip i used. I suggest you try different biflanges (the kind that would fit on UE, most sennheiser and audio-technica nozzles) with the pr1pro with a quite deep insertion, and get back at us about that.

Thanks for the in-depth description, I will definitely try that and report back!
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #140 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that soundstage perception depends to a certain degree on tips and ear anatomy, so take this with a grain of salt: both IEMs have very nice soundstage width, certainly above average IMO. Depth is a bit less on the CK10, vocal jazz feels very intimate, like your sitting in front row whereas with the HJE900 you're sitting a bit further from the stage, let's say 3rd row. The CK10's pronouced highs makes you think they have a tad better instrument seperation, but on closer listening I can find no significant differences.

Thanks, much appreciated ^_^

By foam mod do you mean using complys?

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #144 of 287
I made an impulse decision to buy these things based on this thread alone. I was looking to replace my Denon HP1000 full size headphones as they are currently 3 years old and duct-taped together. Has def seen its day. Still works as a makeshift portable speaker though =).

Anyway I literally just got these 5 minutes ago.

I listened to Fire & Ice - Souvenir De Chine to get a feel for these. If you haven't heard it, the bass is pretty fast and the hi-hats will blind your fkn ears! Got a feel for the bass with songs like Knuck if you buck, Damn!, Paul Wall, etc

SOUND QUALITY: IMO these are about 98% as good as the Denons. They seem to have the exact same sound signature actually. I say 98% because the lows don't extend allllll the way to floor so to speak and really shake the eyes - bass lovers probably know what I'm talking about - so I deduct 1% off the score because otherwise everything is reproduced just as well as the Denons. As for the other 1% deduction, well that comes from the highs not being high enough to bring tears to my eyes.

Soundstage: The soundstage is on par with the Denons. Very full. It seems like I'm wearing headphones. Not much else to say.

Fit/Comfort/etc: These things are tiny as hell! I just returned my Meelectronic M11s and these are only a tad bigger than they were when I had the tiniest ear pieces on. The only thing is the M11s lose all of their bass power when you insert them deep so really these might as well be as tiny as the M11s.

Also, the cords have 0 feedback when I'm wearing them over the ear. Honestly haven't tried wearing them the other way around because I'm too addicted to breaking them in to switch it up.

Cliffs

]Sound Quality - 98% as good as Denon HP1000

Sound Stage - 100% as good as Denon HP1000

Comfort - 99% as small as Meelectronics M11

Overall Review as of 2-10-2010:

99% as good as $150 full size headphones for a lower price and 10000000% more mobile.

edit: lol my bad. sometimes i forget my monitor is ridiculously huge

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #146 of 287
How incredibly disappointing - I might not have many posts, but I've been reading these boards obsessively for a while now trying to decide on the perfect IEM - I even bought the Meelec M6 to check I was happy having things in my ears.. (verdict: I love having IEMs in my ears!)

I absolutely love the sound of these so I finally talked myself into ordering them - J&R refuse to ship internationally. They must be like the only web store I've ever seen who does..

*sigh*

Anyone else want to sell on?

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #148 of 287
Amazon ships through J&R - I've found this deal on buy.com, but it's all still just J&R who for some reason won't ship outside the US.

I've just tried like 3 different checkout systems to see if I could fool them.. actually, they have google checkout which I haven't signed up for, might give that one last go..

EDIT: Haha, "Google Checkout on JR.com currently available to Continental U.S. only" - at least I didn't have to sign up to get rejected!

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #149 of 287
Joker just got the 900's I sent him on loan. Review to come.

Anon73, that is pretty great only having a few posts here and scoring the 900's for your self. And no duct tape required!

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #150 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by KramitDfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How incredibly disappointing - I might not have many posts, but I've been reading these boards obsessively for a while now trying to decide on the perfect IEM - I even bought the Meelec M6 to check I was happy having things in my ears.. (verdict: I love having IEMs in my ears!)

I absolutely love the sound of these so I finally talked myself into ordering them - J&R refuse to ship internationally. They must be like the only web store I've ever seen who does..

*sigh*

Anyone else want to sell on?

Where do you live? Amazon UK has them and ships to the EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back