Got me them Panasonic HJE900 for 110 bucks
Feb 6, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #107 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are very much looking like my next IEM. Unless I decide to spring up for the CK10s(and I'd rather nor deal with shipping to my college... bleh), the the new monsters are the only other contendor, which would really just be me taking a leap of faith lol. I can't wait to get paid so I can at least just settle things! XD.

How good are these at staying in your ear?

Not very well if you are a head banger like me. they weigh a lot compared to other iems, so I've noticed it's really easy to lose a seal. These are with the stock tips mind you. I have to get some new tips for metal how are the complys with staying in your ear?

Edit: will try those UEs

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #109 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really do not like the Shure Olives on the HJE900, makes the sound very muddied and boomy...

...For me, I find that the 'ultimate' tip is the UE single flange, they are firmer than stock / Sony etc, which help to provide a better seal, and a slight warmth to the sound...

I am sooo tempted to start a different thread about these, comparing them to the likes of the Senn IE8 / Denon C710 / JVC FX500... What I can say as an ultimate summary is that the HJE900, when fitted properly, and with good source synergy (which comes in spades with the iPhone 3GS!) have the cleanest, sweetest sound that I have yet heard from an IEM...

...Sure, there may be better out there, especially when going to customs, but for a relatively cheap set of canalphones (compared to the customs at least), the whole sound is just 'right', vocals are to die for, and the cleanliness of the upper ranges... wow! - it makes the Denon C710 (by example) sound wooly throughout all frequencies, and even the well loved FX500s sound slightly nasal in comparison...

For $110, these are quite possibly the buy of 2010! - Even at full MSRP ($249) I wouldn't complain at paying the price...

Just remember if you do pick up a pair, make sure you burn them in well (they don't sound 'stellar' out of the box), and have very careful tip selection - these, more than any other canalphone I've had, are very picky about the tip selection, but - once those two factors are sorted out, prepare to be wowed!
smily_headphones1.gif

...Hey, don't need to do a full comparison now, you already know my verdict
wink.gif

Can you comment more on the mids? I thought the mids were recessed based on other reviews - but you comment on vocals to die for . . . Also - I'd asked this earlier before others had bought these headphones - can anyone compare to the Re0? I'd like to know how they compare in detail, mids and highs. Thanks.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #110 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you james444. Do you know what size would equal the largest tips that came with the 900's? Since you don't get to order a variety pack but one size...

I use the large UE tips and they are slightly larger than the largest stock tips. Don't know how the medium would compare though.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #112 of 287
PolloLoco...

Compared to the Shure E5x0, yes - the mids are quite laid back, but to me these days I find the Shures to sound quite syrupy...

I guess the whole thing (from my POV) is that the overall sound is so clean, with very little in terms of coloration, that it just 'works' with vocals... Hopefully other owners can chime in here and help me out...

ulogin...

Don't know when it will be, but - thanks for the vote of confidence
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #113 of 287
What attracted Lawrence of Arabia to the desert? The desert is clean. The 900's are clean.

And to me, with my limited exposure to phones they are also elegant like Michael Jackson or Fred Astaire, nimble, graceful, smooth, quick . They are lovely to my ears.

I can only wax poetic as that is as good as I can do explaining how I find the sound. Mids recessed? Mids forward? I dunno, I never tire, and if it is true the vocalist is mainly in the midrange then the voices sound perfect.

Thank you James, I will go with the slightly larger large size then.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #115 of 287
Damn, these phones are tempting me so much but i still cant picture a precise idea of their sound signature... They really need more impressions writeups/reviews!

An example of things that confuse me : james has once qualified them as "poor man E-Q7" (which looks like my dream phones but cant afford now), however E-Q7 seems to be a rather mid-centric phone with exceptionnaly beautiful, and warmish sounding vocals whereas the CZ look like somehow treble-centric and with almost recessed mids(hence the mods to bring them up) ... I like my mids present and dont care for overly sharp treble, so i dont know what to think here...

James444, now that you have spent enough time with these, do you think you could find the time to write one of your great "Impressions of the XXX vs X, Y and Z", starring the panasonic hje900 vs E-Q7, FX500, IE8, PR1 pro (because i own those hehe) and maybe PR2 and PL50... and CK10? Using the same format/same songs, off course. I think this would greatly help lurking headfiers willing to have a better idea of the CZ sound sig before taking the leap and jump on the JR deal.
Duncan, im really looking forward to your impressions as well... Not pressuring anybody, but im sure im not the only one thinking the hje900 sound sig is still too much of a mystery without more comparisons and impressions

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #116 of 287
^ You're referring to my comparison here. I hadn't done the foam mod then, but still thought they are a bit warmer than the e-Q7, at least in the lower mids. The Panas have extremely clear and extended treble out of the box but also punchy bass. I would characterize them more as slightly U-shaped than treble-centric. My main reason for the small foam mod was to tame the highs a bit, but the dampening of bass was a welcome side-effect. They were already great phones then but are more pleasantly balanced now to my ears. I like my vocals too and can attest that they don't fall short in this regard.

As for "Impressions of the XXX vs X, Y and Z" I'd love to do another one. I have the CK10s coming too, so there would be enough new material to make for an interesting comparison. But working full time it's also a matter of finding the time to A/B all these phones, plus doing a proper writeup (in a foreign language). I'm not complaining, it's a great hobby and a fantastic community. Just asking for your understanding and patience.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #117 of 287
I have decided on my top five IEMs, and the order that I like them - from best to worst:

1, JVC HP-FX500
2, Panasonic RP-HJE900
3, Sennheiser IE8
4, Klipsch Image X10
5, Denon C710

As great as the Panasonics are, and they truly are, the JVCs to me just sound a little bit more 'there', probably due in part to the Panasonics being quite fussy with tip choice...

I'm looking forward to the first HP-FX700 reviews to hit head-fi
biggrin.gif

Even though my ultimate choice is to not put Panasonic at the top of the tree, I can say that I no longer have misconceptions that they can only make poor sounding, budget earphones..
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #119 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided on my top five IEMs, and the order that I like them - from best to worst:

1, JVC HP-FX500
2, Panasonic RP-HJE900
3, Sennheiser IE8
4, Klipsch Image X10
5, Denon C710

As great as the Panasonics are, and they truly are, the JVCs to me just sound a little bit more 'there', probably due in part to the Panasonics being quite fussy with tip choice...

I'm looking forward to the first HP-FX700 reviews to hit head-fi
biggrin.gif

Even though my ultimate choice is to not put Panasonic at the top of the tree, I can say that I no longer have misconceptions that they can only make poor sounding, budget earphones..
biggrin.gif

thats an interesting ranking even if im not sure how the 710 got on there

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #120 of 287
Hows the FX500 really? I didn't realize it was better than the 8 whats better about it? I might like to get one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back