Got me them Panasonic HJE900 for 110 bucks
Jan 27, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #91 of 287
If anyone plans to use this with a fuse you'd better get an amp, because it is unable to drive them properly. Narrower sound stage, and separation are the main culprits, as is volume and clarity. The cheap chinese player I have drives them better. I miss my samsung. Now I have to get an LOD.

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #92 of 287
I finally tried the largest Sony Hybrid tips, and I still prefer the largest tips that came with the 900's. The large hybrids, seem to overly warm them, not muddy but just toned the treble and everything to be lower. Didn't care for the change.

So I haven't found any better sound out of them then what I have right now, which is pretty great and to me accurately representing voice and insturments. Ear canal+Tips +CZ's are ideal for me.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #93 of 287
Scratch that above post. Replaced the filters on the mod and all is well again. And yeah I agree with the stock tips, they provide pretty good bass response and isolation.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #95 of 287
I'll report on olives tomorrow/weekend. It's like 5am here. I haven't used them in a while. I prefer silicon for isolation purposes.

Edit: Ugh I'm a dumb stoner and i can't find them.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #98 of 287
Anyone not getting a proper fit with the stock tips? Try using them over the ear. Someone sent me a pm about the olives.They fit fine. For some reason I just went back to the stock tips.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #99 of 287
I really do not like the Shure Olives on the HJE900, makes the sound very muddied and boomy...

...For me, I find that the 'ultimate' tip is the UE single flange, they are firmer than stock / Sony etc, which help to provide a better seal, and a slight warmth to the sound...

I am sooo tempted to start a different thread about these, comparing them to the likes of the Senn IE8 / Denon C710 / JVC FX500... What I can say as an ultimate summary is that the HJE900, when fitted properly, and with good source synergy (which comes in spades with the iPhone 3GS!) have the cleanest, sweetest sound that I have yet heard from an IEM...

...Sure, there may be better out there, especially when going to customs, but for a relatively cheap set of canalphones (compared to the customs at least), the whole sound is just 'right', vocals are to die for, and the cleanliness of the upper ranges... wow! - it makes the Denon C710 (by example) sound wooly throughout all frequencies, and even the well loved FX500s sound slightly nasal in comparison...

For $110, these are quite possibly the buy of 2010! - Even at full MSRP ($249) I wouldn't complain at paying the price...

Just remember if you do pick up a pair, make sure you burn them in well (they don't sound 'stellar' out of the box), and have very careful tip selection - these, more than any other canalphone I've had, are very picky about the tip selection, but - once those two factors are sorted out, prepare to be wowed!
smily_headphones1.gif

...Hey, don't need to do a full comparison now, you already know my verdict
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #100 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sooo tempted to start a different thread about these, comparing them to the likes of the Senn IE8 / Denon C710 / JVC FX500... What I can say as an ultimate summary is that the HJE900, when fitted properly, and with good source synergy (which comes in spades with the iPhone 3GS!) have the cleanest, sweetest sound that I have yet heard from an IEM...

Hi Duncan, just do it, we need some distraction from all the CK10 Hype here!
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #101 of 287
These are very much looking like my next IEM. Unless I decide to spring up for the CK10s(and I'd rather nor deal with shipping to my college... bleh), the the new monsters are the only other contendor, which would really just be me taking a leap of faith lol. I can't wait to get paid so I can at least just settle things! XD.

How good are these at staying in your ear?

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #102 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Duncan, just do it, we need some distraction from all the CK10 Hype here!
wink.gif

Hmm... Yeah, I may just do so lol... Must ask though, you rate them lower than the IE8, what is it that you feel the IE8 does better?
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are very much looking like my next IEM. Unless I decide to spring up for the CK10s(and I'd rather nor deal with shipping to my college... bleh), the the new monsters are the only other contendor, which would really just be me taking a leap of faith lol. I can't wait to get paid so I can at least just settle things! XD.

How good are these at staying in your ear?

I have no problem, although the 'barrel' is slightly smaller (in length) than some others, so if you have... erm... big / deep ears then they may not be perfect...

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #103 of 287
Write er up Duncan!

Can I have a source for those genuine UE single flange tips you found superior to the ones that came with the 900's? I sure want to try them.

Do tell that the iphone 3g is a superior sounding music player?!?

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #104 of 287
Hi Orange,

The UE tips come from my TF10 pros, cannot comment on if you can buy them seperately...

The iPhone 3GS is definitely up there imo, definitely one of my better purchases, and am glad to have gotten rid of the iPhone 3G to help pay for it
biggrin.gif

I prefer the cleaness of the sound of the 3GS to even my Sony X1000... It just really works (although, of course consider that beauty is in the eye, or ear of the beholder...)

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #105 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must ask though, you rate them lower than the IE8, what is it that you feel the IE8 does better?
smily_headphones1.gif

You've got me there, Duncan. I've been thinking of them as roughly on par with the FX500 (and told you so in PM), but the more I listen to them I'm getting the impression that they're in fact better. Besides the AMP3/RE1 combo they are about to become my favourite commuting phones.

Vs. the IE8? The obvious answer would be soundstage. But then again there's that IE8 mid-bass hump that I can hardly listen to without EQ any more. So it could well be that you're right and I'd need to revamp my rating. Some more A/B comparing to do...
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back