Got 114$ Need some Great Audiophile quality headphone recommendations!
Jul 5, 2010 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

xiorath

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've got exactly 114$ on a greendot prepaid card, and I just ordered a Auzentech Forte 7.1 Sound Card. I enjoy Deathmetal and Alternative music like Deftones and APC. I love gaming and I would really love a realistic feel to my sound when I play first person shooters. I would also love a great wide soundstage. I have been recommended Alessandro MS1, Audio Technica's ATH A700's & ATH M50's. I prefer closed headphones for more intense and immersive sound. I don't really care about comfortability but its always a plus ofcourse. I also like good solid, but REAL bass.

I was originally going to buy the ATH A700's but Buydig.com screwed me over by putting me through 5 day Processing and then telling me they are out of stock and that they will refund the money on my card(I have yet to receive my refund) So while I wait I decided to do some research on which headphones would best suit me. So far I am leaning towards The M50's as people say they are so great for the price.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 19
Ath-m50's, the Denon d1000/ Creative Aurvana Live (creatives are cheaper), Harx700's are great bang for buck especially with a few mods, 

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 19
all the ones i mentioned are solid all-arounders i think... I personally love my harx700's.... good after burn in..... comfy...... cheap..... so you would have money to spare....the Creatives can be had for 63 dollars at newegg....the ath-m50's are pretty much a staple for a lot of people and one of the most favored first headphones for people. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 19
The CAL is supposed to be good value for an allrounder headphone but I don't know how it performs specifically for any one application.

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 19
id go with Ath-m50.... but it might suffer from the gaming stand point since the sound stage isnt that big.... but its a good all arounder

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 19
for gaming at your price range only ath a700s are the only thing really i never gamed on my m50s when i had them for a short time.

a700s have no bass really but good sound stage for price
m50s have bass but no sound stage

raw reaction time and aim luck will always beat a pair of good headphones. 120 hrz crt ftw

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 19
After all my research I have narrowed my choices down to ...

1. JVC HA-RX900's
  2. Shure SRH440's
  3. Audio Technica ATH A700's
  4. Audio Technica ATH AD700's
  5. Audio Technica ATH M50's
  6. Alessandro MS1 with Sennheiser HD414 pads w/ quarter mod.

oh god i hate choices >_<

I would probably pick the SRH840's but like I said I am only limited to a max of 114.01$

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 19
I suggest going cheap with the RX700 for < $35 - until you can afford much more expensive headphones with a good enough amp to drive them. The most common and effective mods for the RX700 are cheap and easy - felt removal and add foam under the ear pads. I've owned and modded the RX700 and RX900, but did not game with them. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiorath /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love gaming and I would really love a realistic feel to my sound when I play first person shooters. I would also love a great wide soundstage.

I prefer closed headphones for more intense and immersive sound. I don't really care about comfortability but its always a plus ofcourse. I also like good solid, but REAL bass.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Nope...the shure's soundstage is not good enough if you plan to use them for gaming. 

Whoops, never saw that in the OP. You're absolutely right, but its only to a fault for FPS games; for any other genre of gaming the Shure's do sweet to my ears. I even play Bad Company 2 with them and the explosions and guns are so lifelike I could care less that I cant pinpoint every minute footstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back