Good speakers + no dac OR Decent speakers + usb dac
Mar 17, 2010 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hansen

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I need desktop speakers to listen to music, watch movies and play games.

My motherboard is ASUS P7P55D PRO with Audio Chipset VIA VT1828S

I need some opinions, as I greatly appreciate online reviews and opinions before I make my purchasing decisions.

Option 1:
Swan M200MKIII ($400) run on my onboard audio.

Option 2:
Swan D1080MKII 08($170) and Music Streamer II($150)

There is a little price difference there, but I am willing to spend the extra $80 if needed/justified.

Now, what would make more sense? Is a DAC overrated for desktop speakers? Would the M200MKIII be much better than D1080MKII 08 + DAC when been run from computer onboard audio?

I appreciate any information/opinion/suggestion.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm just not convinced that for $400.00 the Swans are the best option for powered monitor speaker. Are there other recommendations?

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 9
I would, if possible, listen to the Swans, AudioEngines, KRKs and even eSI near 08's or behringer truths in that price range and compare them. The competition is quite fierce so it's hard to choose just based on internet reviews etc.

I ended up with the KRKs but they really need to be augmented with a sub, I personally didn't like the others as much but YMMV. I found the transient response on the KRKs to be the quickest and percussion (which is quite important to me) to be the most realistic as such.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 9
The transducers (speakers / headphones) are responsible for the vast majority of the distortion so as others have suggested spend the money on the speakers now, worry about a DAC later.  

This might be streaching your budget a bit since you will need an amp  but check out this Dayton kit.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-963

I've been into DIY audio for awhile now and these speakers are a different class than the before mentioned Swans, and KRK.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
The transducers (speakers / headphones) are responsible for the vast majority of the distortion so as others have suggested spend the money on the speakers now, worry about a DAC later.  

This might be streaching your budget a bit since you will need an amp  but check out this Dayton kit.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-963

I've been into DIY audio for awhile now and these speakers are a different class than the before mentioned Swans, and KRK.

Thanks for that link man, I might actually try those out myself! They look quite awesome.

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for that link man, I might actually try those out myself! They look quite awesome.

No problem.

I haven't heard those particular speakers but I've heard other DIY designs in that class and the design is really well regarded (which is why the made a kit out of it) so I'm its excellent.  Make sure you created a thread if you build them!

Dayton also makes a pretty cool small 2.1 plate amp if want a 2.1 system, its up to you to come up with a subwoofer design and build it but there is plenty of help out there.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-772

Users who are viewing this thread

Back