Good soundstage and good bass, plus comfort, without spending a fortune?
Jan 11, 2011 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iandh

New Head-Fier
I've been using the search function on the forums for a week straight, and googling until I can't stand it any more. I started another thread, but tonight I realized that it wasn't really asking the right questions.

Previously I owned a set of JVC HARX900's. They were very nice sounding for the price, and VERY comfortable with the large diameter ear cups and thick pads, but they have NO soundstage. It's just not there.

From what I understand, this is because they are semi-closed, but the 900's are particularly major offenders in this area.

I've been recommended the ATH-M50's, but I don't know if I can stand another soundstage-less phone, and I've heard the same said about the M50's by some.

I just have a gut feeling that I will have a similar experience to the HARX... enjoy listening to them, but not LOVE it. Furthermore, an amp is out of the question... the headphones will be powered by the built in X-Fi on my laptop, and that is pretty much the bottom line. I've heard that listening to the M50's on a laptop or ipod is a completely different experience than through an amp.

It would seem that the AD700's are the perfect solution... but a headphone with thin bass is absolutely unacceptable to me. I'm not a basshead by any means... but I've been a bass guitar player for 15 years, and I will not purchase a headphone that neglects (IMO) the most important part of the music I like to listen to, the beat. I listen to rock, electronic, classical, but most importantly... jazz. Jazz is nothing without a good, crispy bassline. At least the jazz I like isn't.

So this is the list I'm left with:

1. COMFORT- This is of the utmost importance. My ears are very sensitive to pressure and 99% of the headphones on the market are pure torture. The minimum inside dimensions of the earcup must be 2.5" x 2" x .75", or else the phones will press on my ears, and my ears will hurt.

2. Soundstage- Headphones can still be fun to listen to without a wide soundstage... been there, done that. I'm a musician, and I want to hear stereo tracks IN STEREO. :D

3. Cost- My original plan was to spend around $100-150. It's looking like that won't happen. I can push that budget to around $200 at most.

4. Efficiency- I need headphones that can achieve moderate listening levels from a laptop X-Fi chip's headphone output.

Thank you so much for your time...

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 4
i see it doesn't get mention a lot but the akg 240s is a wonderful headphone and really comfortable. i love mine to death the moment i put it on my ears. it's in my opinion very natural in the bass so it will sound great with bass guitar. i love listening to thievery corporation through these. soundstage is airy and really good and well defined i personally think. has massive amounts of detail as well from guitar pic sliding across the strings to detecting dead notes,to clicking of pedals when listening to piano.

i love mine a lot and it will play fine out of your laptop output with more then reasonable volume control. it's in the 100 dollar price range as well.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 4
Those AKG 240s look pretty good, and they're only $99, which is great. My only concern is the earpad depth. I suppose thatI could just redo the earpads overstuffed with memory foam, which is something I may end up doing regardless of which phones I get. It looks like they are the ones the superlux $40 jobbies are modeled after.

I really like the Beyer 770's, but from what I can tell the $199 250ohm version won't really be suitable, and the 32ohm version is $230, which is out of my desired price range. I'm not going to be making the purchase for a while anyways, but I still would like to set some kind of limit.

I like everything about the AD700's, besides the bass issue, which is a deal killer for me. I have also looked at the A700's, but that kind of defeats what makes the AD700's a winner, the open design and wide soundstage. I have heard that the A700's are pretty nice cans as well, but they don't seem to be all that popular.

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 4
the pad depth is pretty good and pretty big pleather pads. it has a thick foam behind the pads. i replaced mine with a thinner foam and it's great(just slides right out). other alternative is the fostex t50rp. i'm not sure on the soundstage of them but read there very good studio cans as well. do you have a local pro audio shop around or guitar center? Cause i would suggest try to give some headphones a demo if can. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back