Good Pair of Headphones for under $200
Jul 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm very new to this site, and was simply overwhelmed with the sheer amount of content. I know this has definitely been touched on before, but I didn't really find a post that was tailored exactly to my needs. I need some help in deciding on a pair of headphones. I used to own a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, but am now looking for a new pair of cans. I liked them, but I feel like they didn't really fit the music I listen to. I mainly listen to metal (Misery Signals, August Burns Red, etc.), hardcore (Counterparts, Hundredth, etc.), classic rock, rock, and a little bit of post-rock and folk (Explosions In The Sky, Bon Iver, etc.) I already own a pair of Ety HF5's that I use when traveling, walking around, and playing the drums. These are my general everyday buds, so portability is not really an issue in the headphones I'll be looking at (but it would still be nice for them to be portable). Sound isolation isn't totally important, but I don't really want sound leaking out. I would like for the headphones to be decently comfortable as well. I'll mainly be listening to these with my computer out of a Audioengine D1, but sometimes with my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S II), so I'd like them to be fairly easy to drive so I don't have to carry an amp with me if I do go out and about. I don't really know what sound I'm looking for in these headphones, but I'd like it to accentuate the styles of music I listen to. I'd also really like to stay below $200. I really like the sound of my Ety's, but would really like to take advantage of a full size set of headphones. I found that the Grado SR225i's would be a good choice, and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's seemed like a good choice as well. If someone could give me advice, though, I'd be forever grateful.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 15
Ultrasones HFI 780 / Pro 750

KRK KNS 8400

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

V-MODA M80 

Phillips Uptown

DT 880 maybe...

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 15
If you get a chance, please demo. Seriously...narrow down the list to top 3 and try to demo them. U will not go wrong. :) 
Hope you find what you are looking for ...

Cheerz !

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 15
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to do. I'm just trying to find places that carry the headphones I'm looking for haha. After a bit of research tonight I think I've narrowed down to the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, the Ultrasone HFI-780, and the Grado SR 225i. I think I may be leaning more towards the Ultrasone's, though. I heard Grado's are very good for rock/metal (which is what I'm looking for), but I would rather have a closed back headphone. Do you have any experience with any of these?

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 15
I am more of a post rock / ambient / electronic / new age / fusion kinda guy...i tried the Grado 80s once...didn't quite connect to me.
Somehow, I love Ultrasones...i mean i am not a basshead or anything...but they really have an interesting sound signature for my taste.
Just ensure they are comfortable enough ... some ppl have issues with that....also can consider 750 Pro (Ultrasone)...

I too not am into open headphones yet...but my dream list does include Hifimans 300, 400, 500 ... gorgeous :)

Hope you get to demo your shortlisted candidates :) 

Cheerz !

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 15
Do you want something that sounds like your HF5s? If so, Ultrasones and the M50 are definitely not for you. A good HF5 upgrade would be the Brainwavz HM5. If you want something completely different from the Ety's I couldn't recommend Ultrasones more; just make sure you're aware that they will sound nothing like your earphones.

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 15
I can vouch for the HD 25s, they handle rock and metal with aplomb--punchy tight bass and a very balanced and versatile sound signature. I had Grados and they were competent for rock and metal but a bit fatiguing with harsh highs and underwhelming bass. Also flat pads on many models are VERY uncomfortable for serious listening. HD 25 is comfortable and it's also portable and has seriously good isolation. It's a predictable sound that hasn't changed much in 20 years probably because it one would be hard pressed to improve it. It's a solid choice--a classic.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Do you want something that sounds like your HF5s?

I enjoy my HF5's for what I use them for, but I wanted something that would sound more exciting and vibrant. The HF5's have awesome isolation for when I drum, and a really accurate sound (at least in my experience). They're also really convenient due to their portability. But I wanted something that was going to make listening to music more fun as opposed to analytical.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, but I decided on the Ultrasone HFI-780's. All I heard were positive things about it, with the only negatives being the lengthy burn in (isn't really an issue in my books) and some discomfort (I have a small head, so I'm not too worried). I'll let you guys know what I think when I get them!

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 15
Congratulations :) looking forward for your feedback.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, but I decided on the Ultrasone HFI-780's. All I heard were positive things about it, with the only negatives being the lengthy burn in (isn't really an issue in my books) and some discomfort (I have a small head, so I'm not too worried). I'll let you guys know what I think when I get them!

Good choice! As a drummer I think you'll like how well they reproduce drums in music.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Ultrasones HFI 780 / Pro 750

KRK KNS 8400

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

V-MODA M80 

Phillips Uptown

DT 880 maybe...

+1 for the KRK KNS 8400.. super comfy memory foam pads...fast headphone for rock...good isolation...works well out of laptop jack and MP3 player.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 15
Also if you like drums and percussion, you will not find a better headphone anywhere in that price range and higher that does percussion better then the KRK KNS 8400 with the right tonality. It does drums and percussion just as good as my HE-500

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 15
All right so I've been using my Ultrasone's for the past couple of weeks, and they sounded pretty amazing right out of the box. The bass is incredible. The highs are a little harsh, but I've heard they mellow out after the burn in. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back