GOOD over-ear phones for jogger???
May 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Etnier

New Head-Fier
Hi- first post from newbie.

I'm an audio engineer and have owned some very nice headphones over the years, including various Grados (225's now) and a Stax SR-Lambda Pro / SRM-1/MK-2s system. My wife is now enthusiastically jogging with a new iPod and some crummy JVC HAS 150BX headphones. She won't wear in-ear phones or buds, and I would like to get her something with the same form factor as the JVC, or if need be the kind which drape over the back of the neck, but which sounds like something. Don't want to spend over, say, $100.00 because of the risk of loss or damage.

Is this question too dopey for this group? Hoping someone can help.

Thanks in advance...

May 8, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 9
To me, and most audio people, over-the-ear refer to IEMs that have cable that go over the ear.

I think you're talking about circumaural headphones, in which the earpad covers the whole ear. IMO, those are not good for jogging. You also said it can be the kind that drapes over the back of the neck...and the only thing I can think of is iGrado.

May 8, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for your quick reply!

Again, I am not looking for the ideal here, I'm looking for the best headphone I can find within the parameters of what my wife will wear.

I'm starting to think AKG K 430....?

May 8, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Consider the sennheiser pmx80. They are hardly the best sounding earphones, but they stay in place when moving, and the bass is fairly big and will help maintain a good beat for exercising. The open form factor is safer as well, since it'll let her hear cars coming. Honestly, when working out, SQ should be the absolute last concern.

May 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Are open headphones an option at all? I'd like to recommend a pair of Sennheiser PX 100-IIs. They sound nice enough, are surprisingly sturdy and have the added bonus that they will let you hear vehicles hurtling towards you in time to get out of the way.

May 8, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Consider the sennheiser pmx80. They are hardly the best sounding earphones, but they stay in place when moving, and the bass is fairly big and will help maintain a good beat for exercising. The open form factor is safer as well, since it'll let her hear cars coming. Honestly, when working out, SQ should be the absolute last concern.

If she doens't want in-ear, I think these are some of the best choices. I used them for a while and they worked rather well. Newegg has them on sale every once in a while too! 

May 9, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:

I'd recommend this as well.  The sound is not audiophile quality or anything, but they sound decent overall and when you're jogging, doesn't drop out of place so you don't have to spend 1/3rd of your jog fixing or fiddling around with your earphones, every other set I've tried in the past, always flop out or require some re-adjustments during a run, which is always annoying.  They also seem to hold up pretty well to moderate wear/abuse and are fairly water/sweat resistant, always a good thing to look for in an active headset.

May 9, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 9
i'm enjoying yuin g2a's at the moment

not iem's, but clip-ons

i'm not jogging, but walking at a good pace and these thing are solid...great sound, as long as you don't mind some of the world spilling in (a good idea for a jogger)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back