Good Movie soundtracks and scores.
Feb 26, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #46 of 69
Get both albums of Gladiator, Braveheart and Titanic.  Did you know there is a longer version of Dances with Wolves ?  That's a good one too, it contains some tracks as heard in the movie.  

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #47 of 69
I too have been into the Tron soundtrack and have been hungry for some good electro scores, like Bladerunner or say A Clockwork Orange to name a couple. 

Can anyone recommend me something in that neighborhood? 

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #48 of 69

I also dug the Tron soundtrack, but then I like almost all of what Daft Punk release. Some others to check out that are a little moodier in flavour:

21 Grams soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1yx5mwy__U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2owBJYFbSxo

The Fountain soundtrack by Clint Mansell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUgC6215Gko&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZW4PCaxGS8

Give them a chance to sink in. The beauty of these particular scores changed my life in a way, hope they can do the same for you :)

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #49 of 69

Quote:
I too have been into the Tron soundtrack and have been hungry for some good electro scores, like Bladerunner or say A Clockwork Orange to name a couple.

Can anyone recommend me something in that neighborhood? 

Check out The Social Network. Not my favorite from the Oscars list this year, but some good tracks. Inception is more similar to Tron than TSN, though.

On a different note, listening to Alexandre Desplat's The King Speech, which is so beautiful and light. I think Desplat, Powell, or Zimmer should have won the award this year, over Reznor and Ross. TSN is good, but only as paired to the visuals, whereas the other three's scores mostly stand on their own (Zimmer's score treads the fine line of standalone music and movie-dependent score), which is what a good score should be able to do.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #50 of 69
Just got the OST for Danny Boyles movie "127 Hours" and I find it amazing. Lot of rock and electronic elements that are hypnotic and hallucinatory. I would definitely recommend it for some one who may be looking for something other than the usual big orchestral type OST music.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #52 of 69
127 Hours - A unique score with diverse music genres. Especially like the Liberation tracks from the arm amputation scene.
I really liked the Twilight Eclipse score (can't say the same about the movie), has some good female vocal and rock tunes.
I heard probably 80% of the recommendations here and couldn't believe no one mentioned Thomas Newman's American Beauty! My favorite score so far.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #53 of 69
Back to Titanic and more music from Gladiator really let me see the movie again with the right gear. They never seem to grow old.
More music from Braveheart was a bit of a disappointment. The voice overs here feels almost comical. Possible just the scottish accent that is hard to blend with music. Standard soundtrack preferrable here.

The Ultimate Collection of the Magnificent westerns is an awesome collection as well. A lot of Morrecone goldness here.
Star Wars 4-6 soundtrack is still going strong though the mix make it a bit tougher to listen to with headphones.
Vangelis has a lot of great work as well.
Pride and Prejudice soundtrack
Into the Wild. Short but sweet.
Twin Peaks
LOTR is decent as well.
Kill Bill 2 has moments of glory as well but a bit uneven.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #54 of 69
You guys should check out the soundtrack for 'The Social Network'. It's ridiculously good, whether you care about the movie or not.

It's one of my favorite movie soundtracks of all time now.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #55 of 69

Quote:
Hey Guys! I've been an electronic dance music listener for at least five years now, but I always like to try new stuff. Recently after watching inception, i fell in love with the track at the end... I did some research and found out that the OST for inseption was done by Hans Zimmer, who, apparently, has done a bunch of scores for some good movies. I got a bunch of them ( Inception, The last Samurai, The Davinci Code) and really liked the way they sound.... Really well done production with a lot of details and stuff... So I was wondering if any of you guys know some good Soundtracks!:D 

Other scores that Hans Zimmer has done that I thoroughly enjoy: Black Hawk Down, and The Gladiator

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #57 of 69
That's a major bummer that they haven't released the OST for Warrior's Way: http://www.picktainment.com/blog/2010/12/the-warriors-way-evokes-spaghetti-westerns/

basically some tongue-in-cheek Morricone spaghetti rip off, amazing!

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #58 of 69
Listening to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams.

I would say this is his finest contribution to the 8-part movie saga. It's more varied and flavorful than his previous offerings. My favorite would have to be "Secrets of the Castle," especially at the very last part, which is a flighty, virtuosic flute passage.

I was listening to the soundtrack late at night, and although I knew I encoded it long ago at 128 kbps (before I started on audiophilia), I never knew how low bitrate encoding affected sound quality until now. I noticed that the sound itself seem to struggle to catch up with the orchestra, and there was the compression artifact sounds that permeate low bitrate encodes, especially in the detailed and loud passages. So I pulled out the old soundtrack and ripped an ALAC set, and immediately went to my favorite passage. Clear as crystal, even letting me hear the flautist pressing the holes. It was mindboggling.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #59 of 69
I'm rather surprised that nobody has mentioned the Transformers 1 score.  IMO, it's the PERFECT movie score, and up till a few days ago, I though that is was the perfect music.  I have since been proven wrong (Two Steps from Hell has taken that throne).  Buy anyways, the Transformers 1 score is as good as they come.  LoTR comes close, but not quite.  In this case, the music made the whole movie.  Don't bother with the Transformers 2 score, though.  That thing was a waste of musical talent.  

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #60 of 69
I'm rather surprised that nobody has mentioned the Transformers 1 score.  IMO, it's the PERFECT movie score, and up till a few days ago, I though that is was the perfect music.  I have since been proven wrong (Two Steps from Hell has taken that throne).  Buy anyways, the Transformers 1 score is as good as they come.  LoTR comes close, but not quite.  In this case, the music made the whole movie.  Don't bother with the Transformers 2 score, though.  That thing was a waste of musical talent.  

Have to agree. The Transformers 1 score is extremely good. I downloaded it on iTunes because the CD was to expensive (69€ because there aren't many discs printed). After almost two years now I thought to buy it and did it because I listen to it very much and wanted to dig into the frequencies the mp3 format doesn't deliver. And I was right: th CD is much better, far more balanced than the iTunes version. I had the feeling that the iTunes version was far too puched in the low frequencies which caused some of my headphones to crack sometimes. Indeed really annoying ^^ If someone really likes the Score of this movie, buy the CD! the iTunes version isn't that good...

Two steps from Hell is like listening to the God of Soundtrack! They are the epic of the epic epicness :wink:

The Lord of the Rings soundtrack which was mentioned is a quiet interesting soundtrack! A few month ago I bought the Complete Recordings which are indeed rather expensiv, but worth every penny!! The soundstage is just enormous and if you know something of the recordings, you even can hear out that they were recorded in the Abbey Road Studios! It's just so impressif! The little problem is that they are hard to listen! it takes much time away to recognize the structure of the whole recording. What's a very cool feature is the little booklet which explains all the different themes from the characters and the places in the movie. Once you read these and checked the structure it is a pleasure to sit there more than 9 hours to listen to the complete work! I did it once and it's very exhaustif but really impressif.

To return to some Hans Zimmer, the third soundtrack of the Pirates of the Caribbean is the best in my opinion! The tracks "Multiple Jacks", "Up is Down" and "Drink up me Hearties" are very good.

These are the soundtracks I listen for the moment.

The Tron Soundtrack was also very good but as I listened a little too much to it so I was bored very fast. I don't want to say that it is a bad CD! I personally listened to much to it :wink:

cheers

Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back