Good Headphone under $50.
Aug 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MegaMind

New Head-Fier
Guys, i need ur valuable advice on a good headphone under $50... 
Usage : Music, Movies & gaming with Xonar DX.

I was thinking of Sony XB500 & JVC HARX700.
Any better options? 

Thanks in advance..

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 16
I've seen quite a lot positive comments on HARX700 for gaming in that pricerange for a closed headphone. It's probably a very good pick.

I'm using XB500 for music listening and gaming (I only very rarely watch movies but I'd figure they'd be quite entertaining for that purpose for action/war etc movies). I've rarely seen any comments on XB500 regarding gaming so here's my opinion. They have clear positional cues, somehow they even beat big brother XB700 in this regard and with my setup I can in most games tell exactly from which directions the sounds are coming from, even behind/front and above/beneath (this will heavily depend on your source/DAC though, I did some brief testing with an ASUS D2 though and with dolby headphone especially it worked very well). I'm using a pretty much optimally EQ'd XB500 though for hearing all details as great as possible, the bass is still a bit overhelming in some circumstances but I'm a basshead and willing to sacrifice that, for competitive gaming a more basslight headphone would be good but then again these are so much fun with explosions and such going on, it feels much more realistic in that regard so immersion there's nothing wrong about at least but it depends if you're the kind of guy simply looking to get as great success in online gaming as possible or just playing "for fun". Positional sound is great like I said but the huge bass quantity can overhelm with explosions, rocket launchers and such things. An important note to notice with ASUS cards though is that the EQ isn't of very good quality, so you're probably better of with a bit better balanced headphone such as the HARX700.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 16
I'm going to come in and recommend the Superlux 681 and 668B before the usual suspects do
beyersmile.png

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 16
Superlux HD-668B is extremely good for the price. Their signature is somewhat V-shaped and is fairly treble happy.

For those that are up for modding and are comfortable with recables, you can turn it into something even better with just $6 in wire and by removing the black paper behind the grill.
I actually disliked this headphone (only due to it's signature) until modding it. I've found that with Belden wire it's more neutral and the mids are much better.

With all the mods, it's easily the best $50 gaming headphone there is.

Also, I just picked up the HD-428 at Best Buy for $59 on sale. Sure it's online for cheaper, but I'm lazy and didn't want to wait.
I demoed it in store and it actually sounded quite good.

Sony MDR-7506 isn't bad if you can get them around $50, but I don't think you can.

Another headphone I like is the Beyer Dynamic DT-235. It's supra-aural, but will run an extra $5.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Wats wrong with Xonar EQs?

It just isn't good! Even missing values on the sliders is a big fail but yea it colors the frequencies too much or it can't give a natural sounding boost to the frequencies, it's not much better than for example Realtek onboard chip's EQ. It's a night and day difference comparing Titanium HD's EQ to the ASUS for example. When EQ'd optimally my XB500 sounded much better on either the Audigy 2 ZS/kX audio driver's wonderful EQ or Titanium HD's compared to ASUS D2's EQ, the difference was strikingly huge. Not all EQs are equally good, far from it. I've you gotten used to having a good EQ you're not gonna be able to cope without one after hearing how big improvements you can make to most headphones as at least 95%+ of headphones aren't optimally balanced or sounding like you'd personally optimally prefer/percieve it to sound like.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Good for you!

Remember, equalize the mids/highs up just a little. They will come alive like you wouldn't believe. Such a great little headphone once this is done. And oooohhh the bass.
basshead.gif

Very best,

Will do... Any tips for burn-in?
I've used noise n sweep from burninwave.com for my Altec Lansing VS4121 speakers and they did some magic on the speakers... Shall i do the same for headphones?

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:

Will do... Any tips for burn-in?
I've used noise n sweep from burninwave.com for my Altec Lansing VS4121 speakers and they did some magic on the speakers... Shall i do the same for headphones?

Heya,

That's up to you. I didn't notice anything that I could definitely say was a change that wasn't just in my head. I would say to just listen to them. They're great out of the box. Burn in phenomenon is like being a sports fan.

Put 'em on your head. Listen.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back