Good Headphone Match for Project Sunrise
Aug 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

audio snob

Head-Fier
I just ordered a Project Sunrise Kit but I don't yet have good headphones for them (I just have the Brainwavz HM5 for traveling) does anyone have any advice for a pair of cans that go well with Project Sunrise. I have been between Hifiman HE-4/HE-400 and Sennheiser HD600/650 and Beyerdynamic DT 990. Any advice would be greatly appreciated if they were headphones in the same price range, over $450 will just make me sad because I can't afford it 
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
I just ordered a Project Sunrise Kit but I don't yet have good headphones for them (I just have the Brainwavz HM5 for traveling) does anyone have any advice for a pair of cans that go well with Project Sunrise. I have been between Hifiman HE-4/HE-400 and Sennheiser HD600/650 and Beyerdynamic DT 990. Any advice would be greatly appreciated if they were headphones in the same price range, over $450 will just make me sad because I can't afford it 
frown.gif

After you use the Project Sunrise for awhile, please post a detailed review on it.
I'm guessing your plugging the Project Sunrise into a PC?
What DAC are you using?
I'm assuming this is first for music, what about movies and gaming?
Does it matter if the headphones are open, or do they need to be closed to block noise?

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
After you use the Project Sunrise for awhile, please post a detailed review on it.
I'm guessing your plugging the Project Sunrise into a PC?
What DAC are you using?
I'm assuming this is first for music, what about movies and gaming?
Does it matter if the headphones are open, or do they need to be closed to block noise?

I will do so once it arrives and I finish building it. 
Yes, I will be plugging it into my PC
I currently don't have a DAC although I do have a Fiio E7 if that counts
It will be almost entirely for music as I have other headphones that may be better suited for movies and gaming
I would actually prefer open because I don't have a pair of open cans yet. I am not opposed to closed though

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
I will do so once it arrives and I finish building it. 
Yes, I will be plugging it into my PC
I currently don't have a DAC although I do have a Fiio E7 if that counts
It will be almost entirely for music as I have other headphones that may be better suited for movies and gaming
I would actually prefer open because I don't have a pair of open cans yet. I am not opposed to closed though

I would say to get the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, I'm assuming they will become your main headphones for music, movies and gaming.
Motherboards come with low cost DACs (Digital to Analog Converter) that barely do the job.
The Asus Xonar DX & D1 sound cards (used $50) come with the CS4398 DAC chip, should be way better then what is built into your motherboard.
Also the DX/D1 come with Dolby Headphone 7.1, great for movies.

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 18
Could you compare them to the HE-400, I've heard they are similar. Would I have to install the sound card into my laptop? Could I use my E7 and a DAC. Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Could you compare them to the HE-400, I've heard they are similar. Would I have to install the sound card into my laptop? Could I use my E7 and a DAC. Sorry to bombard you with questions.

I believe the Hifiman HE-400 are better then the DT990, but I do not own the HE-400s to compare, but I have been thinking a little about getting the HE-400.

So you got the Project Sunrise to use with a PC laptop?

You can use the Fiio E7 (DAC & Amp) with your laptop and HE-400 headphones.

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 18
I plan on using the project sunrise with my laptop, yes. Can I use the E7 strictly as a DAC and run it through the Project Sunrise?
So the HE-400 would be better to get than the beyers?

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
I plan on using the Project Sunrise with my laptop, yes. Can I use the E7 strictly as a DAC and run it through the Project Sunrise?
So the HE-400 would be better to get than the Beyers?

The Fiio E7 does not appear to come with a line-out, just two headphone jacks.
So you need to get a separate DAC for use with the Project Sunrise.

HE-400 vs. DT990, better to ask on one of the Hifiman HE-400 threads, as I have not really do enough reading up on the HE-400, and was just making a "guess".
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
DO you think it would be worth it to get a stand alone DAC like the bifrost?

I have not gotten to the point of spending that kind of cash ($350) for a DAC (yet).
On eBay they sell the SMSL SD-1955 external DAC for around $100. it has a better DAC (AD1955) chip then what comes in any sound card.
It's something better to start out with.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 18
Aug 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Great thanks, I would rather use the line out I think and not buy a dedicated DAC yet. Unless there is a DAC under $100 that is really great for the price and a decent entry level DAC

This DAC needs a computer (or laptop) with a S/PDIF optical or coaxial output.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-SD-793-Mini-DAC-DIR9001-PCM1793-OPA2134-Decoder-Optical-Coaxial-RCA-/320961660062?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item4abace449e

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 18
Great thanks, I would rather use the line out I think and not buy a dedicated DAC yet. Unless there is a DAC under $100 that is really great for the price and a decent entry level DAC

There's a cheap DAC on ebay called Dac Destroyer which I constantly hear about here. Might be something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back