Good Headphone for these qualities - "effortless" and "immediacy", microdynamics
Nov 28, 2010 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chesterdad

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a new set of phones to contrast with my Senn 600's.  Don't know if I am ready to lay out for Electrostatic, but would like to find something that is effortless in reproducing subtle nuance in music, like the harmonics on a guitar string, microdynamics for instance.

Would I find that in AKG 702's or Beyerdynamic DT-880's or 990's?  Are there some other phones I should look at?

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 13
The K701s can be somewhat described as effortless, only when coupled with a good amp and good music. But immediacy... not too sure about that, but the vocals of the K701s are pretty laid back.

The 880s are better with detail but lack the musicality of the 990s (imo).

Try the higher range grados too, and maybe the high end audio technicas.

Or yes, if you have too much cash on hand, you can get some stax or the HE6/LCD2/4 figure headphone :D

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Electrostats or orrhodynamics

+1

Does seem with dynamics, no matter how good, there is always this sense of "struggle" that would only recognize after listening to orthos or stats.

Double edged sword though... once you hear them it is hard to go back to dynamics... Especially the highs... they always sound a little harsh and grainy.

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 13
The HD600 is good until you hear the HE6. The HD600 can be grainy/harsh on some recordings and fatiguing, but the HE6 is not. I could listen to it for hours without fatigue. And I hear sounds that I have not heard before on recordings that I'm very familiar with.

Also the HE6 is effortless, the HD600 at times can sound sluggish.

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
The HD600 is good until you hear the HE6. The HD600 can be grainy/harsh on some recordings and fatiguing, but the HE6 is not. I could listen to it for hours without fatigue. And I hear sounds that I have not heard before on recordings that I'm very familiar with.

Also the HE6 is effortless, the HD600 at times can sound sluggish.

can't say I ever heard the HD 600 as grainy or harsh... ever, and on many different set ups.

but they DEFINITELY sound sluggish compared to other headphones, even ones in the same "tier". This is blatantly apparently when pitted against "speed" demons like these orthos.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 13
If you want to get a cheap introduction into what orthodynamics are capable off check out the Fostex T50rp for $75 bucks.  With a little bit of simple modding they can sound great.  There's a reason why they are on backorder pretty much everywhere right now.  They fight way above their weight class.  

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Agree as well on the electrostatics, when you say "effortless", "subtle details", "microdynamics" etc. you basically say "stats". I'm pretty sure the orthodynamics sound effortless too, although I haven't heard one. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
What are orthodynamics?  I also would agree that I have never heard the Sennheisers as harsh.  BTW, my main audio system is Martin Logan Requests and Logos center channel

Orthodynamics are kind of like halfway between an electrostat and a dynamic. They have a printed circuit as their driver.

They have stat like speed +detail , with dynamic like amp requirements and dynamic bass capabilities. If this sounds too good to be true, you need to get yourself a pair!

LCD-2, HE-6, Fostex T50RP are orthodynamics to name a few.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 13
See for example this description of the technology (scroll down to the bottom half of the page) and this list of orthodynamic phones. There's a lot of interest here on Head-Fi in the Audeze and Hifiman orthos, as well as some talk about Fostex and the vintage models, just do a search.
Since you have Martin Logans I suppose you are familiar with the effortlessness of the electrostats.

Edit: seems like I'm too slow...
smile.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I am looking for a new set of phones to contrast with my Senn 600's.  Don't know if I am ready to lay out for Electrostatic, but would like to find something that is effortless in reproducing subtle nuance in music, like the harmonics on a guitar string, microdynamics for instance.
Would I find that in AKG 702's or Beyerdynamic DT-880's or 990's?  Are there some other phones I should look at?

affordable stats, and one of the best buys in the headphone world (as it's a great sounding can/amp system for ~$300) is the stax  sr001 mk2. it's a bit rolled off at the frequency extremes but is always smooth and sounds alive and effortless. and it's even portable.

Quote:
What are orthodynamics?  I also would agree that I have never heard the Sennheisers as harsh.  BTW, my main audio system is Martin Logan Requests and Logos center channel

i'm a little surprised that no one mentioned the yamaha cans here. they may not be sota like the audeze (pronounced like odyssey) or the hifiman he6 but you can get a set for a small fraction of the $1000 price tag of those two cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back