Good for listening to electronic dance music, a little production & watching movies.
Dec 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Jrexxx

New Head-Fier
Hi. I'm searching for some headphones. Usually used to buy every year like 2 pairs of headphones each for like 30$ and they'd get broken or something like that.... I've finally decided to buy a decent pair of headphones! I'll mostly be using them for hearing music (electronic dance music), I'm a little bit of a music producer (yes i know that I should buy Speakers for that but I'm living in a dorm so thats not possible:p), and I'll be using them for watching movies.
Usually I'm a Sony customer but they have so many models that I am really lost and don't know which one to buy, plus I've had some bad experiences with sony headphones in the past so I think that I'm not going to get a Sony pair....
I've read some some threads on this forum and found out that people here hate Bose products, mainly because they're very pricey. I was considering buying a pair of Bose AE-2 because I'm really lost and don't know what to get.. I know that I'm going to pay a little more, but I don't have any other choice since I don't really know any other good headphones and I really really need an upgrade. An other issue that I've been having is finding headphones that have passive noise canceling and I heard that the AE-2 are somewhat good at that.... Durability is of course also very important because if I'm going to pay 150$ I would like them to last.
If someone could help me I would be really thankful because I usually don't like companies like Bose or Monster that make you pay a lot just for the name...
Thanks a lot!

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 25

Quote:
Hi. I'm searching for some headphones. Usually used to buy every year like 2 pairs of headphones each for like 30$ and they'd get broken or something like that.... I've finally decided to buy a decent pair of headphones! I'll mostly be using them for hearing music (electronic dance music), I'm a little bit of a music producer (yes i know that I should buy Speakers for that but I'm living in a dorm so thats not possible:p), and I'll be using them for watching movies.
Usually I'm a Sony customer but they have so many models that I am really lost and don't know which one to buy, plus I've had some bad experiences with sony headphones in the past so I think that I'm not going to get a Sony pair....
I've read some some threads on this forum and found out that people here hate Bose products, mainly because they're very pricey. I was considering buying a pair of Bose AE-2 because I'm really lost and don't know what to get.. I know that I'm going to pay a little more, but I don't have any other choice since I don't really know any other good headphones and I really really need an upgrade. An other issue that I've been having is finding headphones that have passive noise canceling and I heard that the AE-2 are somewhat good at that.... Durability is of course also very important because if I'm going to pay 150$ I would like them to last.
If someone could help me I would be really thankful because I usually don't like companies like Bose or Monster that make you pay a lot just for the name...
Thanks a lot!

You can start with some Ultrasone PL/Pro-650, GMP 8.35 (more natural), and maybe the M-50 too. The best thing to do, is to try to listing to those hps before you buy them.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 25
the M-50 is a great can, I don't think you can go wrong with it, especially if you are into electronic music. The only Sony that fits your needs is the V6 or mdr-7506 (same cans) they are the industry standard for studio use, and a hell of a lot of dj's use them because of their durability and close to neutral sound. Be sure to get the sonys and the m-50 from authorized dealers, cause there are a lot of fake going around on Ebay, so I don't recommend it.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 25
Ok thx! I've seen PvD use the mdr-7506 =P. Th only problem is that I live in Belgium and it's a bit difficult to find these models =/...

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
Ok thx! I've seen PvD use the mdr-7506 =P. Th only problem is that I live in Belgium and it's a bit difficult to find these models =/...

The MDR 7506 is to be found in a lot of online store though. Then again I live in the Randstad. Otherwise the Sony dealer should be able to help you out. The Sony dealer in Amsterdam did not know what a MDR V6 was though (a year ago...), so good luck with that.

Otherwise go with Acix'  post. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 25
Thx a lot guys!!! I really apreciate it... I've been having this problem for like months, and now i got the answers I need :p!! Anw, I'll check out a couple of stores that specialize in Headphones, and I'll see if visiting the Sony dealer helps...

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 25
Check marktplaats if you can. There are some 7509s to be found and if you ask some tricky questions to the sellers you might be able to negotiate a reasonable price. 

If you want to play it safe go for a Shure SRH440 or something like that. The prices for those headphone are getting lower. 

Check this link out:
http://audio-tv-foto.marktplaats.nl/koptelefoons-en-headsets/398387699-pioneer-monitor-10r-koptelefoon.html?return=eJw1jW1ugzAMQO9SqfzjI4S1WxCq2hPsChExIiLEETZrt2l3nzN1%2BfWe/SJbo8y3N01Ppj115kBgt3HuZ%2BZk6nrBBLFa7bZwCtYyVTHUdnceS/4oIZYTMuaKIcCEGCkPZ7COgKke9bmaeQ2XRxhU4WhgPOqrOupb2gUagSB21XkU2kxnIeeFcpT%2BIxb48qI3mhw9t/zcrjmL%2BwqbH3P8yDfak377%2B/op1r12qnkRW%2B5i7x4jwCaKlC%2B1RUr70BQJiUd0MCh5h/7nFxzzVpc%3D&df=1&fta=eNpFj11uwyAQhO/CQ575By/yFareIMJeaK06MQp24jbK3bukrcrD6tPsiJ2J4OBewQPbLvPxGufKQgUhNbB97sUBa78uIELZgIdZgBJhlqBcwAlCKU1c4WsqoWaspKyknAqct1O6TGOYd/rLqo5sn6C9FtyEjxu8Tss5pUtY6gTyUMrW80NZ6joumHpBr4WgCCW%2BJRYmul9BAZvwJ523wNChSSh34XLOJvIGI/fCN3AudYKAJurmSd51NjfgGeNAgNpyFQmGlLqsCEajk8QGWucxNVCI5unJxuqxQSczbxA7n5Lf/1N4l6RpGzFEM9AFi9oN6AhsxDHTyirpMY7PCtRmXUrEepzT%2BW19/2vZATvF/diKU1d8ahJYvLHw8otXFiJwuD8e319Mh40%3D&fta_ind=9&fs=1

It is a crystal clear sounding headphone with ample of bass and more definition than you will find in the price range you are looking now. This rare beast is very tempting and needs power. In the right set up it can be all you need. It is one of my favourites...

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #12 of 25
OK thanks a lot guys! just sent an email to sony center to see if i they can find me the 7506... Hope this works...

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 25
I think you will like the 7506 a lot, I listen to psytrance everyday with them and they are great!, also you can get beyerdynamic dt-250 velour pads when the stock ones start to go...they will be even better, comfort wise.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

I love the ATH-M50s for electronica.  And guess what?  Not only are they studio monitor headphone built exactly for the purpose you'll be using them for, but they're also arguably one of the most highly recommended and universally praised studio monitors on these forums.  And all can be had for under $100 if you take a look around.  Just throwing that out there.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back