Good Combo for First Good Cans? (Senn 515 + Sony V6)
Jan 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eervig

New Head-Fier
It's finally time to pull the trigger on my now $125 headphone budget, a first foray into decent cans for me. Obviously, each set is a compromise, and I'm primarily interested in jazz, classical and folk listening. I know every pair is a trade-off (I like the idea of the AD700s, for instance, but they have some clear weaknesses). After poring over these forums, I think I've come up with a scheme, involving *two* pairs:

Sony MDR-V6 : Closed phones will be good when I'm in bed next to somebody, and in a tight space where open cans would be a bother. These seem to be well-regarded in terms of SQ and extremely durable.

Senn HD-515 : Not highly spoken of here, but I figure these will give me a nice open sound and good soundstage when I'm alone in the living room, especially for classical.

Together they add up to $107 (I am restricted to Amazon.com).

If anybody has any suggestions regarding this combination, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks!

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 8
My suggestion:

Buy the MDR-v6's and then wait until you have a slightly larger budget.. then purchase the AD700's (or something else)

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 8
A last question: the notion of the v6 being 'fatiguing' on the high-end - is this audiophile "eh, that's too harsh - ima reach for the $600 phones in the next drawer" fatiguing, or is it actually make for some unpleasant listening?

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Forget the Sonys (had them, everything since >$80 kills them in quality).  Invest in one good set of versatile headphones, don't get two sets of mediocre cans.  The headphone is the most important factor in determining sound quality- invest in the best you can afford within your budget.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks. I mean, before I came up with the two pair idea, I was ready to just grab the AKG K240s with a FiiO e5, which seemed like a good all-around from what I've read.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 8
I agree.

Don't go with two mediocre phones. The AKG 240's are a good choice (I haven't heard them first hand, but they have good feedback). Have you looked at the M50's? It's a great all around, entry level headphone. I have them and I love them, they're great.

Also, I wouldn't buy the E5. Why not save up a little and get the E7? Then at a later date you can pair it with the E9 and have a pretty nice home and portable setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back