Good cigarettes?
Jul 8, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #61 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I tried the Hint once before. Made more sense when it was called Hint of Mint. It's closer to the classic but with even less mint. I enjoy having the stronger mint but if I smoked more, I'd probably go with the hint of mint.

I haven't tried any of the other ones mentioned. I noticed the clove uses the same filter method of the mint ones. They don't mix it with the tobacco, only place it in the filter. I'll have to check their site to see what the other ones are.

So you basically in terms of mint strength you would rate them (from least to most):
1. Hint
2. Classic menthol
3. Natural menthol

If that's the case I may go for the classic menthols.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #62 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason, I've been one of the lucky ones who has never been addicted. If I'm not around anyone smoking, I will never smoke. When I do smoke, it's usually with alcohol and around others who smoke. Even then, there are many times I prefer not too smoke. I completely gave it up for a while, but then went on a trip to St. Louis, where you can smoke everywhere.

I believe I had my first smoke when I was 12 and saw many of my friends become regular smokers from that point on. Still to this day, if I have too many, I'll feel sick.

Fair dos man, that's a nice compatibility with smoking to have
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #63 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you basically in terms of mint strength you would rate them (from least to most):
1. Hint
2. Classic menthol
3. Natural menthol

If that's the case I may go for the classic menthols.

Yep, that's the order. I'd say if you already like the Classic, you might like the menthol one. I find the regular Classic too strong, so I don't like the menthol one as much as the Natural one. I don't think I've tried the regular Natural yet. It's still weird seeing menthol used for their products. Probably would have never tried it if it said menthol. Mint sounds so much better.

You can always try the Natural later if you don't think the Classic is minty enough. The other big difference between Nat Sherman menthols and the rest, is it's not cool on the throat. You just taste the mint flavor mixed with the natural tobacco. The other brands not only smell like Halls, they have that vapory coolness to them. Some people many like this, but it tastes like chemicals to me.

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #64 of 113
On a related side-note: Anyone of us junkies smoke while listening with headphones?
I don't, ever - partly because it would be distracting, mainly because because I don't want my phones to have that stale-smoke 'aroma'...(for the latter reason, with regard to my home, I smoke out the window or in the garden/outdoors.)

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #67 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone recommend any other hand-rolling tobaccos?

McClintock is pretty good.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #68 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good cigarettes? I dunno if they are an acquired taste, but to me the term sounds like an oxymoron. I was hoping this thread would be about some kind of quitting aid lol

Smoking is one of life's greatest pleasures. I think this is the conclusion anyone who has smoked and thought seriously about smoking must reach. Of course, it will kill you if you let it.

And without question there are good cigarettes and bad cigarettes. Probably more bad cigarettes than good.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #69 of 113
I'm impressed! This is a 'long-winded' thread for smokers. Aw c'mon! It had to be said!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Smoking is one of life's greatest pleasures. I think this is the conclusion anyone who has smoked and thought seriously about smoking must reach....

I completely disagree and know quite a few who also would disagree. I smoked for over 15 years and was damn glad when I finally gave it up. Food alone tastes way better not to mention I can really smell the roses. One of life's greatest pleasures is being outdoors on a beautiful day and smelling the fresh air.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #70 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
McClintock is pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep an eye out for it, along with American Spirit and the aforementioned cigarette brands I'm interested in, whilst in Spain
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #71 of 113
Have a good trip, BS. And post what you bought/found/smoked over there
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, those Rioja-filled evenings....sigh....followed by the San Miguel-filled nights...

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #72 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely disagree and know quite a few who also would disagree. I smoked for over 15 years and was damn glad when I finally gave it up. Food alone tastes way better not to mention I can really smell the roses. One of life's greatest pleasures is being outdoors on a beautiful day and smelling the fresh air.

I remember when I was quitting that I thought this line of reasoning was the biggest line of bull I'd ever heard. Suddenly, I could smell the staleness of my apartment. I could smell the Arkansas River! That simply wasn't pleasant at all. All the smells of summer (rotting crap and garbage, people's body odor, and above all stale cigarette smoke) suddenly invaded my space.

I found myself dreaming of lighting up again just to make all those damn smells go away.

Now, of course, five years later I feel differently. I still think the biggest pleasure of quitting is losing the damn anxiousness that I lived with constantly for most of my life. I used to think I smoked cigarettes to calm down-- I didn't realize that the damn things were what were making me feel nervous and in need of calming to begin with.

They are indeed a great pleasure if you like being dependent on them to insulate you from the ugly smells around you, taking the edge off the world. It's just that they also cause many of the ugly smells and jagged edges.

Smoking a disease supplying it's own cure-- which unfortunately, eventually involves death. The good news, as a surgeon told me years before I quit, is that you can stop. And when you do, most of the damage is reversible. That is the only thing that a non smoker told me while I was smoking that ever seemed like a good motivation for quitting.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #73 of 113
Gawd, this thread is dead. The non-smokers have arrived
biggrin.gif

Life supplies its own cure, too....
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #74 of 113
I haven't gone all that exotic, but of the smokeshop varieties I have dug into, here's a list of favourites. Please bear in mind I'm Canadian.

Canada:

Player's Special Blend - Hard to find, exceptionally strong. They have a blend of Canadian and American tobacco and taste absolutely marvelous. Filtre only, king size should be avoided - these babies are meant to be short and sweet. They burn fast and can be difficult to find fresh. This is my favourite cigarette by a long margin.

Player's Smooth - This one is a light smoke with nice flavour. Not harsh on the throat like most other light smokes. My everyday tobacco.

Belmont Milds - This is a Benson & Hedges tobacco (if familiar, they tend to be mild and sweet, typically "girl smokes") with a charcoal filtre for a smooth draw and light flavour. This one is nice once in a while.

USA:

Lucky Strike - If you can handle it, these should be smoked filtreless, but filtred isn't bad. Full strength is a must; the lights are dry, tasteless and abrasive. Their claim to fame is the "toasted" tobacco which makes them unique and rich in flavour, if a bit "dirty". My favourite standard American smoke.

England:

Rothman's Reds - Quintessential British tobacco. Delicious, smooth, and robust.

Dunhill Special Reserve - This may be a curiosity to the Canadian market, I'm not sure, but these are amazing. A bit lighter than Dunhill's normal tobacco, but with a distinct flavour that keeps you from missing the extra kick. Expect to pay more for these, and they are only available in 20s.

France:

Gauloise Blondes - Similar to American tobacco but very tame in comparison. Tasty, but they leave a bit to be desired in robustness.

Switzerland:

Davidoff Classics - Beautiful aroma, nice taste and finish - definitely the byproduct of a company with a deep legacy of cigars and pipe tobaccos.

Indonesia:

Djarum Black - This is a clove cigarette. Nicotine is all but non-existent, but the tar levels are off the map. This is probably the most delicious cigarette I've ever tasted but they are far too rich for regular smoking and, if you're a regular smoker, leave a lot to be desired when the nicotine itch needs a good scratching.

Rolling Tobacco - I'm pretty sure I've tried the European and American varieties, but couldn't tell you with any recent experience which I preferred. In either case, Drum Gold is the best commonly available shag tobacco on the market. Exceptionally sweet and flavourful, make sure you get this fresh (should be somewhat moist - not wet, but soft) and ditch it if it dries out. Trust me.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #75 of 113
Djarum Blacks are delish. I like Lucky Strikes also. You might have to go to a smaller convenience store to find these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back