Good cigarettes?
Jul 9, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #76 of 113
During the last two years I smoked, I did make-your-own. It's different from roll-your-own in that you use pre-made filter tubes and an injector machine. Cost was about $1.50 per pack and better still, you could custom mix. I'd heard this was a bigger deal in Canada and Christendom than in the U.S.. Somebody got angry and a new tax was put on bulk tobacco, effectively making it cheaper to buy pre-made cigs. Enough! I quit 2 months ago.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #77 of 113
All things being equal, I wouldn't have quit smoking if it hadn't been for the insane taxation and a health insurance surcharge of $200/mo. I like to smoke. I like the smell of tobacco and tobacco smoke.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #78 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't gone all that exotic, but of the smokeshop varieties I have dug into, here's a list of favourites. Please bear in mind I'm Canadian.

Canada:

Are the Export As for export only? I used to like those quite a lot.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #79 of 113
Actually, I forgot about Export 'A'. The "full flavour" variety (lovingly referred to as the green death up here - the pack is green) is a very tasty cigarette, but among Canadian tobaccos, I find DuMaurier and Export to have the most abrasive smoke.

I should probably mention Craven A as a Canadian brand as well - despite being owned by Rothmans/B&H. I smoked those for a while - their strongest variety tends to be a little milder than the other marques but their tobacco is very, very tasty and exceptionally smooth. Not sure why I stopped smoking them, to be honest.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #80 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a good trip, BS. And post what you bought/found/smoked over there
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, those Rioja-filled evenings....sigh....followed by the San Miguel-filled nights...

Cheers dude! I'll be sure to post some feedback on any new brands I try out there and/or manage to bring back, no problem.
cool.gif
Ah, alcohol and smoking, it's like cheese and onion...so complementary
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #82 of 113
I've tried the Nat Sherman Classic Menthols and I really like them. I don't know what I like better, the menthols or normals. They are both very good and smell great! Unfortunately, the smoke shop I went to does not carry the natural menthols, but they do carry the plain naturals. Wonder if I should try them...

It's gonna take forever to smoke all these cigarettes though so I'd better hold off a while.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #83 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the Nat Sherman Classic Menthols and I really like them. I don't know what I like better, the menthols or normals. They are both very good and smell great! Unfortunately, the smoke shop I went to does not carry the natural menthols, but they do carry the plain naturals. Wonder if I should try them...

It's gonna take forever to smoke all these cigarettes though so I'd better hold off a while.

Do they already say menthol on the box? I'd have to imagine the plain Naturals would be like a smoother Classic. I don't know what the difference in tobacco is. Give it a try when you run out of what you got.

I'm not a huge clove fan, but I'm kind of curious about the Nat Sherman brand. Seems cloves were either cigarettes teenagers smoked or the goth crowd.

For the menthol, it could be that the Classic and Naturals have the same amount of mint but since the tobacco is lighter on the Naturals, you taste it more.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #84 of 113
Yep they said menthol. But there was a note in the box that said the name had to be changed due to new legislation, but the cigarettes are the same.

I just picked up a pack of the MCDs today, and OMG. The smell is extremely smooth and seductive, and so is the smoke! I got absolutely zero tingling feeling or discomfort in my throat! They are extremely good!

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #85 of 113
Quote:

Yep they said menthol. But there was a note in the box that said the name had to be changed due to new legislation, but the cigarettes are the same.

I just picked up a pack of the MCDs today, and OMG. The smell is extremely smooth and seductive, and so is the smoke! I got absolutely zero tingling feeling or discomfort in my throat! They are extremely good!

I might have to try those. I think I'll go with the light brown version though. Need a change from Naturals Mint.

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #86 of 113
I just finished off a 12.5g pouch of Samson original blend earlier today and it was preety good (I know I had said I had tried it in the past, along with some other hand-roll tobaccos common over the counter in the UK, but I realised that was like a memory of a memory so thought I'd give it another shot; I'm planning to do the same for Old Holbourn tomorrow, Amber Leaf I have smoked a fair bit recently when I couldn't get any GV, and, though very much smokeable, I do definately place it a good few rungs beneath GV).

The Samson roll-ups I smoked over a few days, in and amongst the odd golden virginia roll-up, were very, very smooth, and cool, not all that disimilar to a menthol cigarette, just not as cool on the mouth or throat or chest as them and, of course, minus mint/menthol. The smoke still had good body however and wasn't hollow or empty feeling as you smoked it, though, admittedly, felt a little more airy, loose and porous; lighter and less dense. However, it didn't have all that much flavour. In fact, I'd describe it as like the (distilled) water of tobacco/cigarettes in my experience, high quality in the core bases without any added frills. In short, enjoyed them. Different to GV roll-ups but nice all the same. May buy more Samson from now on
cool.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #87 of 113
Quote:

I thought the Naturals were a little dry and harsh compared to the MCDs.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #88 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Naturals were a little dry and harsh compared to the MCDs.

I just tried the MCD lights and they are one of the best. Smooth, light, and has a nice nutty taste. I can see if the regular MCDs are this clean, you may not even need the light version.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #90 of 113
Right now I'm smoking Malboro virginia blend I got at the duty free which are pretty much Malboro reds, I like. When I'm not stateside or I don't feel like driving out to the indian reserve I like Davidoff classics very much. But my all time favorite are european Malboro with Swiss tobacco, these are the kinds you can pick up when traveling to south or central america in the duty free.. I used to order these online from Korea which made it cheap for me since I live in Canada but I can't remember the site name, plus I'm trying to quit lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back