Good cigarettes?
Jul 7, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #46 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try roll your own maybe and buy some Drum tobacco. Roll them very thin to make it last.

Thanks for the recommendation, appreciated, but I do roll my own pretty much all the time, my smoking habits consisting of primarily Golden Virginia with the occasional packet of cigarettes here and there. I want to try some exotic, obscure, different, luxurious smokes and was hoping to get em in before Spain trip. Probably just keep my eyes peeled over there now for any curious brands.

BTW, I have smoked drum several times, aswell as Cutter's Choice, Amber Leave, Samson and Old Holbourn, and, for rolling tobacco, I still prefer Golden Virginia. Anyone recommend any other hand-rolling tobaccos?

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #47 of 113
I started with camel and switches to marlboro... I was a happy smoker for way 2 many years..

I'm clean now for several years I'm happy to say..The marlboro I once considered my good friend smells like a homeless bum now.

I saw the killer at work...brrr, mean stuff
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #48 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anbody know any online cigarette retailers that offer expedited/express shipping as I'd like some quality, different smokes for my week in Spain next week for the Benicassim festival? Alternatively, as I'll obviously be in Spain, any quality spanish cigarette and/or tobacco brands I could get over there that anyone's aware of?

Don't know if French appeals, but look up Gitanes unfiltered in the tobacco stores...seriously nice, not as strong as the filters...I bought a couple of cartons in Barcelona recently (sigh...all gone) & having only smoked Gitane filters before (with Lark, they were my favourite brand in the 80s), the unfiltered were a nice surprise. Cheap too!

Edit\ BloodSugar, re handrolling -try American Spirit.....imported from NM. Good stuff. With free (very fine - I usually replaced w/ a heavier weight) papers...

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #49 of 113
Golden%20Virginia.JPG

+

rizla20green20papers.jpg

+

roach.gif

I smoke a little roll up about once a fortnight. I've yet to find a pre-rolled cig that comes even 10% close to the above.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #50 of 113
Duggeh...no roach?!

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #51 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They say menthol is derived from natural mint and they chose to call their products mint because they didn't synthesize it. So technically they are menthol cigarettes. They were forced to make the name change. The cigarettes themselves will not have any changes made to them.

Look, their website all lists them as menthol.

Nat Sherman

Ok I see. I presently have the plain classics, I have smoked one and found it quite nice. I'm also interested in the menthols now. Should I get them in natural or classic variety? What is the smell and taste difference between classic and natural? Considering the price I'd rather not blindly experiment.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #52 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duggeh...no roach?!

I think he's using that curiously fashioned rizla to behave as a roach...Interesting! I think I'll give that a shot on next roll-up
wink.gif

EDIT: It might actually be the cardboard slip in the rizla packets ie, if so, that would be a roach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I smoke a little roll up about once a fortnight. I've yet to find a pre-rolled cig that comes even 10% close to the above.

Woah, one a fortnight! That's some serious abstinence/control/torture
tongue.gif
. Do you smoke so little as a safety measure or do you just enjoy a smoke only so infrequently? Do you simply enjoy the mild headrush one gets when ingesting nicotine after a spell off? Just curious as I've heard of, obviously, smokers who only partake when they drink and/or when drunk, but you've not associated that solitary (cigarette- cigars are a different animal) smoke with alcohol consumption and that habit just got my intrigue piqued.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee
Don't know if French appeals, but look up Gitanes unfiltered in the tobacco stores...seriously nice, not as strong as the filters...I bought a couple of cartons in Barcelona recently (sigh...all gone) & having only smoked Gitane filters before (with Lark, they were my favourite brand in the 80s), the unfiltered were a nice surprise. Cheap too!

Edit\ BloodSugar, re handrolling -try American Spirit.....imported from NM. Good stuff. With free (very fine - I usually replaced w/ a heavier weight) papers...

I'm not anti any nation, really, and am just looking to explore different brands/types of smokes etc somewhat before I make another concerted effort, or series of efforts, if need be, to pack the 'habit' in over the next few years!
wink.gif
. I don't wana reach 25 and still be a smoker but I wana have some fun with it before I do quit so I'm open to any recommendations at all to start that process/adventure off and form my own bases to conduct my own further explorations from.
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed your recommendation for Gitanes unfiltered earlier in the thread and, that, coupled with another poster's notion that, if you want a buzz, try unfiltered cigarettes, plus, my own increased interest in unfiltered cigs as I've never smoked them, did make me look into them already!
wink.gif
. I was considering ordering in a batch of them for the aforementioned trip to Spain from online-cigarettes-tobacco.com, along with some Camel Full Flavours and Camel Lights 100's, but they wouldn't get to me in time so decided against placing the order. I could look for these brands in Spain though along with Nat Shermans, Rothmans, Dunhill, other Camel brands ie Turkish blends and Djarum, I'm also interested in from ppl's recommendations in this thread and have looked into ordering online. I've never seen American Spirit rolling tobacco for sale in UK, though I imagine you could get it over the counter in tobacconists quite easily (as with all the above cigarette varietals) and I have certainly seen it for sale online, but I'll also see if I can get my hands on that in Spain. Thanks for that recommendation also
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #53 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I see. I presently have the plain classics, I have smoked one and found it quite nice. I'm also interested in the menthols now. Should I get them in natural or classic variety? What is the smell and taste difference between classic and natural? Considering the price I'd rather not blindly experiment.

The classic mint seems stronger (tobacco wise) and had less mint taste. The natural are lighter and have that slightly sweet taste on the lips. I think the natural ones also have a stronger mint smell. I think of it more as an after dinner kind of smoke. Almost like a dessert. I'm just a very casually smoker and only have one every once in a while. I can see how the natural mint might not be the choice for someone who smokes a pack a day.

If you smell a normal menthol cigarette, it smells more like a Halls cough drop. The Nat Sherman's smell like a mint leaf.

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #55 of 113
What are the Nat Sherman MCDs, Black and Gold and touch of clove like? They certainly look the biz but how do they compare to regular cigarettes?

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #56 of 113
Quote:

I think he's using that curiously fashioned rizla to behave as a roach...Interesting! I think I'll give that a shot on next roll-up
wink.gif

EDIT: It might actually be the cardboard slip in the rizla packets ie, if so, that would be a roach.

I suspect that the JPEG I'm linking to which shows a cardboard roach isn't showing up for everyone. Sorry about that. I prefer a cardboard roach most times, but theres also times when a thin menthol filter fits the bill.

Quote:

Woah, one a fortnight! That's some serious abstinence/control/torture
tongue.gif
. Do you smoke so little as a safety measure or do you just enjoy a smoke only so infrequently? Do you simply enjoy the mild headrush one gets when ingesting nicotine after a spell off? Just curious as I've heard of, obviously, smokers who only partake when they drink and/or when drunk, but you've not associated that solitary (cigarette- cigars are a different animal) smoke with alcohol consumption and that habit just got my intrigue piqued.

I've bolded the most appropriate response. Yes its partly to avoid any habit forming, and the once-a-fortnight rule isn't golden. Might be three in a week and then none for a month, or similar.

Basic rule: The less often you smoke, the more utterly glorious Nicotine feels when you do smoke.

And that is why I smoke Golden Virginia Roll-Ups. Even after a month off, I can try my hardest, and get feck-all out of a Lambert&Butler (or similar).

A little (or large) roll up though, smoked the way I smoke them. (And I only do once I've had a few pints too, so well done on the booze prepper front) means that I get a remarkable physical sensation out of one. It doesn't last long (in fact, in the grand scheme of things, its damn pointless. But when you're several pints down, and its a nice evening, and youve spent 5 minutes rolling one that doesnt fall to bits, it's just the best thing ever.

And if I wanted to repeat the experience the next day?

I've get nothing. No hit, nothing. The waiting for your system to clear is the only bad thing about it, and it is that same thing which has stopped me becoming a 20-a-day-smoker. If every ciggie that a smoker had was like the experience I have when I smoke one. They wouldn't be on only 20-a-day. Thats the dreadful thing about nicotine. You keep going looking for that hit that is some version of what I get, and after chasing it for a short while with no luck, you're already hooked because without the input all the time, you feel crap. Instead of feeling good some of the time, with it.

I've been walking that tightrope since I was 16. If I was going to fall off, It'd have happened by now. I'll have health problems related to my alcohol intake well before I do related to my tobacco intake. (Scotland is the heart diease capital of the developed world, and its in huge part due to the alcohol consumption culture, although the fatty diet helps a lot).

---

next UK meet, we can go for a little roll-up after we've been in a bar for a bit post-meet!
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #57 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The classic mint seems stronger (tobacco wise) and had less mint taste. The natural are lighter and have that slightly sweet taste on the lips. I think the natural ones also have a stronger mint smell. I think of it more as an after dinner kind of smoke. Almost like a dessert. I'm just a very casually smoker and only have one every once in a while. I can see how the natural mint might not be the choice for someone who smokes a pack a day.

If you smell a normal menthol cigarette, it smells more like a Halls cough drop. The Nat Sherman's smell like a mint leaf.

What about the Nat Sherman Hint cigarettes? These are different from the Classic and Natural menthols. And what about the ones BloodSugar00 mentioned? lol there are so many and they all look intriguing...

BTW I really like how this thread is devoid of smoker bashing. My disclaimer in the original post seems to have worked!

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #58 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Nat Sherman Hint cigarettes? These are different from the Classic and Natural menthols. And what about the ones BloodSugar00 mentioned? lol there are so many and they all look intriguing...

BTW I really like how this thread is devoid of smoker bashing. My disclaimer in the original post seems to have worked!

I think I tried the Hint once before. Made more sense when it was called Hint of Mint. It's closer to the classic but with even less mint. I enjoy having the stronger mint but if I smoked more, I'd probably go with the hint of mint.

I haven't tried any of the other ones mentioned. I noticed the clove uses the same filter method of the mint ones. They don't mix it with the tobacco, only place it in the filter. I'll have to check their site to see what the other ones are.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #59 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I've bolded the most appropriate response. Yes its partly to avoid any habit forming, and the once-a-fortnight rule isn't golden. Might be three in a week and then none for a month, or similar.

Basic rule: The less often you smoke, the more utterly glorious Nicotine feels when you do smoke.

And that is why I smoke Golden Virginia Roll-Ups. Even after a month off, I can try my hardest, and get feck-all out of a Lambert&Butler (or similar).

A little (or large) roll up though, smoked the way I smoke them. (And I only do once I've had a few pints too, so well done on the booze prepper front) means that I get a remarkable physical sensation out of one. It doesn't last long (in fact, in the grand scheme of things, its damn pointless. But when you're several pints down, and its a nice evening, and youve spent 5 minutes rolling one that doesnt fall to bits, it's just the best thing ever.

And if I wanted to repeat the experience the next day?

I've get nothing. No hit, nothing. The waiting for your system to clear is the only bad thing about it, and it is that same thing which has stopped me becoming a 20-a-day-smoker. If every ciggie that a smoker had was like the experience I have when I smoke one. They wouldn't be on only 20-a-day. Thats the dreadful thing about nicotine. You keep going looking for that hit that is some version of what I get, and after chasing it for a short while with no luck, you're already hooked because without the input all the time, you feel crap. Instead of feeling good some of the time, with it.

I've been walking that tightrope since I was 16. If I was going to fall off, It'd have happened by now. I'll have health problems related to my alcohol intake well before I do related to my tobacco intake. (Scotland is the heart diease capital of the developed world, and its in huge part due to the alcohol consumption culture, although the fatty diet helps a lot).

Thanks for the detailed response! It's an intersting approach to smoking and, with the knowledge you have about the addiction side of things and/or natural high tolerance we have to tobacco- fact head rush can only be achieved with a significant gap between cigarettes smoked- I think it's a pretty safe tightrope for you to be walking! If you get something from it, which you do, and you have the insight and understanding to protect yourself from the addiction forming, why not? Very shrewd observation, in fact, that the ignorant chasing of that initial head rush is what causes many to from a habit (I certainly think it was the case for me, although there was some social significance in my case as a whole bunch of us smoked in a tight social group my first- and, ultimately, failed!- first year at Uni).

If you become hooked though, there is so many facets to the addiction, generic and then personal, the physical and mental side, it's such a tricky drug to work yourself free of! Insidious is the best word I know for the nature of nicotine addiction.

Having said that, I have a lot of confidence I'll be able to quit at some point, hopefully in the next few years, as I have read and fully understand and appreciate the content and/or sense of Allen Carr's 'Easy Way to Quit Smoking'. It's just a case of having the fortitude to push it through which, as I've had some mild mental health issues since my late teens and/or other personal issues I've had to work through- you can round it off as working hard to grow, change, develop, personally, for the better- I just don't yet feel in a place with all that yet to feel comfortable taking on the task of quitting smoking. Trying to quit takes my mind back and I can find that threatening to who and how I've committed to growing into, who and how I wish to be and remain.

Thinking about all this as I type it/communicate it, however, I'm actually questioning why I think I'm not able to do it right now!! Is even that reasoning valid or just another hollow belief, albeit on a more tertiary level? Man I hate this addiction
tongue.gif

---

Defo have a smoke with you after next meet we both attend (if I'm still a smoker
wink.gif
)! Any meets in the pipeline?

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #60 of 113
For some reason, I've been one of the lucky ones who has never been addicted. If I'm not around anyone smoking, I will never smoke. When I do smoke, it's usually with alcohol and around others who smoke. Even then, there are many times I prefer not too smoke. I completely gave it up for a while, but then went on a trip to St. Louis, where you can smoke everywhere.

I believe I had my first smoke when I was 12 and saw many of my friends become regular smokers from that point on. Still to this day, if I have too many, I'll feel sick.

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed response! It's an intersting approach to smoking and, with the knowledge you have about the addiction side of things and/or natural high tolerance we have to tobacco- fact head rush can only be achieved with a significant gap between cigarettes smoked- I think it's a pretty safe tightrope for you to be walking! If you get something from it, which you do, and you have the insight and understanding to protect yourself from the addiction forming, why not? Very shrewd observation, in fact, that the ignorant chasing of that initial head rush is what causes many to from a habit (I certainly think it was the case for me, although there was some social significance in my case as a whole bunch of us smoked in a tight social group my first- and, ultimately, failed!- first year at Uni).

If you become hooked though, there is so many facets to the addiction, generic and then personal, the physical and mental side, it's such a tricky drug to work yourself free of! Insidious is the best word I know for the nature of nicotine addiction.

Having said that, I have a lot of confidence I'll be able to quit at some point, hopefully in the next few years, as I have read and fully understand and appreciate the content and/or sense of Allen Carr's 'Easy Way to Quit Smoking'. It's just a case of having the fortitude to push it through which, as I've had some mild mental health issues since my late teens and/or other personal issues I've had to work through- you can round it off as working hard to grow, change, develop, personally, for the better- I just don't yet feel in a place with all that yet to feel comfortable taking on the task of quitting smoking. Trying to quit takes my mind back and I can find that threatening to who and how I've committed to growing into, who and how I wish to be and remain.

Thinking about all this as I type it/communicate it, however, I'm actually questioning why I think I'm not able to do it right now!! Is even that reasoning valid or just another hollow belief, albeit on a more tertiary level? Man I hate this addiction
tongue.gif

---

Defo have a smoke with you after next meet we both attend (if I'm still a smoker
wink.gif
)! Any meets in the pipeline?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back