Good cans for death metal
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #61 of 93
I love Invasion of Your Privacy. It's a desert island disc. Everything about it is amazing, especially Warren de Martini's palying. 1985, indeed.

Yeah, I like that period of Paradise Lost, the singer took on some of Hetfield's style which worked well. Excellent production, also. I lost track of them after that album.

I just found out about Paradise Lost this year. Simply loving Draconian Times. Actually I just can’t believe it. Learning about Type O Negative this year too. Funny how influenced they were by Sabbath, but I just put off Type-O for 20 years.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #63 of 93
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #64 of 93
Also - do those porta pros sound as good as the audio technica ath-m50x? or would that be a downgrade?

I have the original M-50 and absolutely hate them now. So I would suggest Porta Pro. The Porta Pro is going to be more natural. The M50 is strange. Foggy bass, strange treble. Don’t know how they became so popular? Maybe the first better headphones for new people here?

I wrote review about the M-50s and the as nice about them, but now? They are not good!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #65 of 93
I just found out about Paradise Lost this year. Simply loving Draconian Times. Actually I just can’t believe it. Learning about Type O Negative this year too. Funny how influenced they were by Sabbath, but I just put off Type-O for 20 years.
Yes, great band, great frontman.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #66 of 93
In the mid 1970s it was “so do you like Sabbath?” Or “Do you like Zeppelin?”

That was it.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #67 of 93
I love Invasion of Your Privacy. It's a desert island disc. Everything about it is amazing, especially Warren de Martini's palying. 1985, indeed.

Yeah, I like that period of Paradise Lost, the singer took on some of Hetfield's style which worked well. Excellent production, also. I lost track of them after that album.

7DDD8007-892A-40AC-B1AF-6A56CFCCBE9C.jpeg

I’ve never been able to buy a CD that sounded like the vinyl? The vinyl was just so much thicker. I have a collection of vinyl but not IoyP, I think? Lucky I found a 24bit needle drop that seems to finally do it justice.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #68 of 93
425ACD99-3EB2-4F54-9664-44879B344DAA.jpeg

When “Out of the Celler” came out in 1984 nothing sounded like it. They had the studio trickery on the drums and the big echo on everything. That’s really the time and the album that made them famous. It was the last years of Hair Metal. Finally MTV put metal mainstream in 1985-1986 but after that it was over. G and R changed everything then Grunge came out.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #70 of 93
7DDD8007-892A-40AC-B1AF-6A56CFCCBE9C.jpeg

I’ve never been able to buy a CD that sounded like the vinyl? The vinyl was just so much thicker. I have a collection of vinyl but not IoyP, I think? Lucky I found a 24bit needle drop that seems to finally do it justice.
I still have my Ratt on vinyl. Beau Hill nailed it on this album. De Martini and Lynch were the absolute tone kings of that era.

Yeah, it ended soon after, but weirdly enough there were still traces and fragments of hair metal into 1992 and even 1993. Bands like Firehouse, Warrant, and Slaughter were kinda hanging in there. I would say Vince Neil's 1993 solo album or Stephen Pearcy's overlooked Arcade project also from 1993 were possibly the very last hair metal albums. Glory days..

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #71 of 93
Okay guys, forget about hifiman. I've read some horror stories about build quality and so those are out. It's currently between the audio technica msr7b and the phillips fidelio x2hr
Your thread has strayed off topic a bit lol. I really think you should do some research on the 58X and 99 Classics. There are long, dedicated threads under the full size headphones sub forum. Personally, the X2 isn't something I'd consider for this. They make a decent all purpose can though. The Msr7b is an excellent can, just bare in mind that it's tuned with the Japanese audience in mind. The upper mids can get pretty hot. Cymbal crashes are going to have some bite to them. I listen to rock and metal, but my metal consists of bands such as Judas Priest, Accept, and the like. I had to spend some time equalizing the upper mids in order to make them what I think is pleasant. Otherwise it was just a bit fatiguing. Nothing crazy, but long sessions would have been difficult. The bass is fairly quick and flat. Not enough for this hard rocker. Some drum kits sound a bit like paper to me, but still acceptable. The mids really are fantastic. Guitars sizzle and pop, but they don't have as much weight as the 99s of 58X. The main selling point on the Msr7b is its excellent instrument separation. They are relatively congestion free. Instruments have good air around them, and the width and depth are pretty dang good for a fairly inexpensive closed back. They're more liquid than dry, fun and musical opposed to sterile and analytical. They will work for you, just keep in mind that the bass is a bit shy, and the treble is a bit bright. It responds to EQ well though. It would definitely be my 3rd choice behind the 99s and 58X, specific to your genre. Let me know if you would like some more information on the 99s or 58X.

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #72 of 93
Your thread has strayed off topic a bit lol. I really think you should do some research on the 58X and 99 Classics. There are long, dedicated threads under the full size headphones sub forum. Personally, the X2 isn't something I'd consider for this. They make a decent all purpose can though. The Msr7b is an excellent can, just bare in mind that it's tuned with the Japanese audience in mind. The upper mids can get pretty hot. Cymbal crashes are going to have some bite to them. I listen to rock and metal, but my metal consists of bands such as Judas Priest, Accept, and the like. I had to spend some time equalizing the upper mids in order to make them what I think is pleasant. Otherwise it was just a bit fatiguing. Nothing crazy, but long sessions would have been difficult. The bass is fairly quick and flat. Not enough for this hard rocker. Some drum kits sound a bit like paper to me, but still acceptable. The mids really are fantastic. Guitars sizzle and pop, but they don't have as much weight as the 99s of 58X. The main selling point on the Msr7b is its excellent instrument separation. They are relatively congestion free. Instruments have good air around them, and the width and depth are pretty dang good for a fairly inexpensive closed back. They're more liquid than dry, fun and musical opposed to sterile and analytical. They will work for you, just keep in mind that the bass is a bit shy, and the treble is a bit bright. It responds to EQ well though. It would definitely be my 3rd choice behind the 99s and 58X, specific to your genre. Let me know if you would like some more information on the 99s or 58X.
I'm leaning heavily towards the 99s. I do not have any intention of driving these with an amp or anything , just using my smart phone. Will the 99s still sound okay?

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #73 of 93
That's a good account of the MSR7B. When I had them I was listening to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - an album I must have heard hundreds of times - and heard little details I never noticed before. They're super impressive for a 250 dollar pair of headphones.

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #74 of 93
I'm leaning heavily towards the 99s. I do not have any intention of driving these with an amp or anything , just using my smart phone. Will the 99s still sound okay?
Definitely. They are a bit more sensitive than the Msr7b, so they will provide greater loudness... (pretty decent Japanese metal band lol). They will provide a little heavier, bit thicker sound. Treble will be a little more rolled off, but still plenty present. They have a very organic tonality, and the mids are simply glorious - guitars sound glorious. This is one of the more popular noted headphone for hard rock music. My advice is to purchase the Noir version. It comes with 2 sets of pads. Use the smaller set. You can try both, though the larger size tends to make the bass sound a bit bloated. It is a better built headphone than the Msr7b.

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #75 of 93
I've had this discussion between the 99s and Msr7b with several members. Purchases seem to be a 50/50 split. It really depends on how you like your music presented, and what you want to focus on. Truly subjective in every way, but both cans are great in their own way. If I could only find a headphone that combined the best traits of each 😎.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back