oh my goose

New Head-Fier
So I have previously owned the following headphones:

v-moda m100s
Sennheiser HD 429
Sennheiser HD 25-ii
Audio Technica ATH-M50x
Sennheiser HD 238

So far I think I liked the Audio Technica the best, but was hoping to get something with a bit of a different sound. Also, my wife destoryed all my cables for my M50x cans.

What I am looking for is a set of cans that'll excel, performance-wise, with death metal, which is the music I primarily listen to and am quite passionate about. I have a few other needs, though. Ideally, these headphones will have a detachable cable. This is not necessary if you feel the cable is sturdy enough but I'm not the most careful with my things and I feel better knowing I can replace a broken cable if it happens. They definitely need to be durable. I beat the hell out of the M50x cans and they are still working like-new.

My budget, realistically, is not more than 300 dollars, however I'm currently saving up to buy my wife a new macbook so if there's something you can suggest thats cheaper than that, this would be great. These will be mostly indoor-only cans, but also I might wear them to walk my dog periodically. Ideally, I want the bass to be decently punchy, with little sibilance on the high end. Otherwise, I'm up for whatever as long as you think it'll work well for death metal. Think: Autopsy, Grave, Crpytic Brood, Tomb Mold kind of stuff. I'm hoping to get something new next week.

I was considering sennheiser hd 598s because they are such a good price on amazon, but not sure how they would sound for this type of music. Was also considering the Phillips Fidelio X2HR since they have also come down in price. Final consideration is the hifiman HE-400 but I don't know the difference between the 400i and the 400s and which one I should get.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 93
Focal Elear, if you can stretch your budget a little bit. They are regularly found used for around $450.

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 93
HE400i is one of my favorite cans I use for benchmarking. Very balanced sound and very comfortable. You can listen to music on those all day without fatigue. I think it is THE BEST headphone you can buy PERIOD for under 150$. the Sennheiser HD58X is a close second option.

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 93
Try to find a pair of Sony MDR-Z7 headphones. I paid $360 for a new open box pair. But even around that for used is also great. Cheers.

CCE496E7-E8B6-482A-8FB2-E7891990FF59.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 93
The meze 99 classics maybe? I found the bass too much for my taste, but with DM you may just like it.:metal:

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 93
Try to find a pair of Sony MDR-Z7 headphones. I paid $360 for a new open box pair. But even around that for used is also great. Cheers.

CCE496E7-E8B6-482A-8FB2-E7891990FF59.jpeg
I agree. I use these for black/death metal all the time. You get the kick from the drums but they are not fatiguing at all

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 93
I agree. I use these for black/death metal all the time. You get the kick from the drums but they are not fatiguing at all

Big guitar textures, heavy authoritative (but clear) drums, ahhhhhh!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 93
Big guitar textures, heavy authoritative (but clear) drums, ahhhhhh!
really under rated headphones. Love them. Ive not tried the mk2 version so I'm not sure what they are like

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 93
Did a quick search, but this appears to be a discontinued model, correct?

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #12 of 93
really under rated headphones. Love them. Ive not tried the mk2 version so I'm not sure what they are like

Have not heard the MK2 either. Though there has been a couple folks (around here) get them just now and like them? The price has come down too, on em.

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #13 of 93
Did a quick search, but this appears to be a discontinued model, correct?

The original Z7 is discontinued. It’s kind of the time now when new ones may start gaining in price? Don’t know but two on the Z7 thread found “like new” used ones and like them. But yes, it may be difficult to start finding brand new ones at a good price?

It’s a 2014 headphone, with a new version called the Z7MK2 out now......so?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 93
May I recommend the MSR7B. For death metal, you need clarity and a very controlled bass region, with minimal bleed into the mids. Excellent separation is really vital, especially on well recorded death metal like Nile, Carcass, and Morbid Angel. The MSR7B are in your price bracket and would fit the bill.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 93
lol or end game it with zmf verite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back