Good cans for death metal
Jul 6, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #16 of 93
I would not recommend the Z7M2 for this kind music. They have a very unnatural frequency and sound garbage out of anything other than a serious desktop amp. They need tremendous amounts of power despite what the specifications say. Definitely in no sense portable. Beyer DT1770 would be much better within that price range.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #17 of 93
I would not recommend the Z7M2 for this kind music. They have a very unnatural frequency and sound garbage out of anything other than a serious desktop amp. They need tremendous amounts of power despite what the specifications say. Definitely in no sense portable. Beyer DT1770 would be much better within that price range.

That’s a great point. And......I have the same ideas about the original Z7. Being easy to drive loud, yet still very amp dependent as far as damping factor getting the lower mids out of the foggy woods into the light.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #18 of 93
That’s a great point. And......I have the same ideas about the original Z7. Being easy to drive loud, yet still very amp dependent as far as damping factor getting the lower mids out of the foggy woods into the light.
Absolutely, they were technically "drivable" on my WM1A but sounded lifeless. They were much better on my RME set-up. Also very picky about source, cables, etc. It's a commitment if you want them to sound good.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #19 of 93
Absolutely, they were technically "drivable" on my WM1A but sounded lifeless. They were much better on my RME set-up. Also very picky about source, cables, etc. It's a commitment if you want them to sound good.

Hence their miss-understanding in the community. People simply didn’t understand how to drive the original Z7 as it was loud enough? Same (IMO) as the Fostex line. They get loud quick but if you don’t have an understanding of how damping factor changes sound, you think it’s a foggy headphone. Good point.

Never heard the MK2 or worked with it, so I don’t know, but I guess it would be the same issues?

Funny you mention cables as absolutely they change with cables. I’ve read a couple success stories with the MK2 and the Kimber this week by folks. Always fun to read about people being surprised by what cables can sometimes do.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #20 of 93

lol Just goes to show, no point asking for advice, just buy and try.

I love the Z7M2 for this kind of music, powered by M15, Hiby R8 or DX220MAX and completely portable, low profile headband and no cyber man look.

WM1A/Z are well know for lack of driving power.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #21 of 93

I love the Z7M2 for this kind of music, powered by M15, Hiby R8 or DX220MAX and completely portable, low profile headband and no cyber man look.
Def best to try for yourself. Everyone hears stuff differently. Porta pros are great for black/death metal too. £30

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #22 of 93

As I say, they're very picky in terms of source. Don't know your gear, but maybe the synergy is great. They're basically "marmite" headphones - some people love them, some people don't get along with them. For me, the tuning was never quite right. Lachlan has an extremely accurate review of them on YouTube, which highlights the problem.

Yep - buy and try is always the best route. Agreed.

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #23 of 93
The M2 is also no longer available in my country. I was going to ask about the MDR-Z1R for this genre of music, but with the Z7M2 we were already well above the OPs budget.. :)

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #24 of 93
As always listening for minutes beats out reading for hours. :)

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #26 of 93
Agreed, you can't go wrong with Porta Pros. Love 'em.
absolutly my favs for black metal as they are warm and forgiving.

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #28 of 93
I need to dust my pair down. I wish they made some with a replaceable cable, as mine seems to break every other year or so. Classic headphones.
Yeah defenitly, if they had a removable cable I'm not sure if I would need anything else!

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #29 of 93
I should use my Porta Pros more?

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #30 of 93
Seems to work well.
15940433902526387727963910462205.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back