Good cans for death metal
Jul 7, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #46 of 93
26E996E9-C174-44FC-AE11-252B06B6FBCC.jpeg
Yes, I remember hearing it in this?

Stormblast has that vibe too, maybe?
Yep, I was thinking of Agalloch, who I liked very much, especially with their Fields of the Nephilim influence. The Romanian band Negura Bunget are also indebted to Ulver, alongside much of the newer French black metal/shoegaze type of bands.

I didn't get into the Dimmu Borgir, but it's possible.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #47 of 93
Yep, I was thinking of Agalloch, who I liked very much, especially with their Fields of the Nephilim influence. The Romanian band Negura Bunget are also indebted to Ulver, alongside much of the newer French black metal/shoegaze type of bands.

I didn't get into the Dimmu Borgir, but it's possible.

I purchased The Mantle when it came out in 2002. Back then there was really not much internet recommendations. But there was this underground magazine called Ancient Ceremonies, that just loved that album. There is also a remaster of it that’s maybe better? Pretty sure Dimmu has influences on the Mantle too. Stormblast was actually a slightly hard album to find as it had some legal issues due to some of the keyboards lifted from other musicians. Lol

Dimmu is maybe not cool anymore but in the 1998 era they were pretty special. Many refuse to play their old records but I’m still into them. Stormblast is very unique even today. It starts out mellow then gains speed and intensity. They never sounded like it again. Interesting it came out in 1996, where the Ulver record 1995.

961CD41B-53F5-41C6-942A-A9A48D6D21AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #48 of 93
I purchased The Mantle when it came out in 2002. Back then there was really not much internet recommendations. But there was this underground magazine called Ancient Ceremonies, that just loved that album. There is also a remaster of it that’s maybe better? Pretty sure Dimmu has influences on the Mantle too. Stormblast was actually a slightly hard album to find as it had some legal issues due to some of the keyboards lifted from other musicians. Lol

Dimmu is maybe not cool anymore but in the 1998 era they were pretty special. Many refuse to play their old records but I’m still into them.
I have a 24/192 vinyl rip of the remaster, which is incredible sounding - amazing transparency and clarity. The production on all their albums is generally good, at least on vinyl. I remember when it came out, too. The End Records seemed on a roll for a few years.

I think I always lumped Dimmu into a Cradle of Filth type of band - maybe I misjudged them! But then I'm a self confessed Manowar fan, so I'm not always the best judge of taste.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #49 of 93
I have a 24/192 vinyl rip of the remaster, which is incredible sounding - amazing transparency and clarity. The production on all their albums is generally good, at least on vinyl. I remember when it came out, too. The End Records seemed on a roll for a few years.

I think I always lumped Dimmu into a Cradle of Filth type of band - maybe I misjudged them! But then I'm a self confessed Manowar fan, so I'm not always the best judge of taste.

Well, COF is like them in that they are considered these sell-out big label bands. Commercial Black Metal? But around 1996.....it was all the same in some ways? Once COF was signed to Sony records, they may have started to go down hill? I really like their early stuff too? I think it just depends when you got into extreme metal. Meaning there was actually a lot of people that liked Dimmu and COF till 2000-2001. But also again it’s Symphonic Black Metal? But I’m always learning about new music. My favorite new music has been Blind Guardian and Rhapsody Of Fire? Haha. Absolutely stuff I thought was cheesy all these years, now embraced as genius? Maybe I became cheesy or always was? :)

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #50 of 93
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #51 of 93

2BB73A94-1881-4AE5-9480-C92B9408AF71.jpeg
79627A3F-1AD8-4436-A3FC-5D3F423E360E.jpeg
7D9AE4E5-622B-457E-BB95-A786FA011D10.jpeg
21E391C7-1322-405E-813C-D8348A0359F5.jpeg

This album is idiotic, it is. It could absolutely bother people. Still for 1996 it was another truly watershed release both for the band and Black Metal. Some may say that it’s not true Black Metal like Darkthrone or something. But that’s the thing, it’s weird and over the top.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #52 of 93
Hey guys. Is the elegia good for metal?

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #53 of 93
Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #55 of 93
Well, COF is like them in that they are considered these sell-out big label bands. Commercial Black Metal? But around 1996.....it was all the same in some ways? Once COF was signed to Sony records, they may have started to go down hill? I really like their early stuff too? I think it just depends when you got into extreme metal. Meaning there was actually a lot of people that liked Dimmu and COF till 2000-2001. But also again it’s Symphonic Black Metal? But I’m always learning about new music. My favorite new music has been Blind Guardian and Rhapsody Of Fire? Haha. Absolutely stuff I thought was cheesy all these years, now embraced as genius? Maybe I became cheesy or always was? :)

A lot of those bands were ahead of their time insofar as "commercial black metal" is now a perfectly viable genre especially in the blackgaze stuff, or whatever ti's called (I have no idea about what goes on the scene these days). In 1996-98, I was big into doom metal - (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Anathema, etc) - so missed the boat on the 2nd wave of black metal. But I think a band like Satyricon managed to make the transition from lo-fi to this more commercial black metal pretty well.

Despite growing up on Decide, Obituary, and Death, these days I mostly listen to Dokken, Ratt, and old school progressive metal, Crimson Glory, Riot, etc. I.e., the really extreme stuff. :metal:

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #56 of 93
I love Ratt. My brother had the EP. IoyP was my favorite beer drinking album when it came out. That was about a year before Master of Puppets and Reign In Blood came out.

Did you listen to Paradise Lost, more specifically Draconian Times then?

5189DA45-9CB3-4EF7-9934-37A1CC6D5872.png

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #57 of 93
I love Ratt. My brother had the EP. IoyP was my favorite beer drinking album when it came out. That was about a year before Master of Puppets and Reign In Blood came out.

Draconian times is awesome

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #58 of 93

5189DA45-9CB3-4EF7-9934-37A1CC6D5872.png
I love Invasion of Your Privacy. It's a desert island disc. Everything about it is amazing, especially Warren de Martini's palying. 1985, indeed.

Yeah, I like that period of Paradise Lost, the singer took on some of Hetfield's style which worked well. Excellent production, also. I lost track of them after that album.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #59 of 93
A lot of those bands were ahead of their time insofar as "commercial black metal" is now a perfectly viable genre especially in the blackgaze stuff, or whatever ti's called (I have no idea about what goes on the scene these days). In 1996-98, I was big into doom metal - (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Anathema, etc) - so missed the boat on the 2nd wave of black metal. But I think a band like Satyricon managed to make the transition from lo-fi to this more commercial black metal pretty well.

Despite growing up on Decide, Obituary, and Death, these days I mostly listen to Dokken, Ratt, and old school progressive metal, Crimson Glory, Riot, etc. I.e., the really extreme stuff. :metal:

I actually was almost exclusively into King Diamond. So strangely I would only really listen to that stuff. Until I got into Black Metal in the mid 1990s. Then around 2000-2003 I started to learn to like Death Metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back