Good bang for buck IEMs
Mar 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SarafAtak

New Head-Fier
Hello all

Apologies in advance if I use any technical terms in completely the wrong context...

I would like to narrow down a search for a good pair of in ear monitors anywhere between £50 and £150. Its not particularly the price i'm interested in but sound quality / value. I have looked at many of the previous threads (sub $100 /£100) and the differences in choice and opinions is making my head spin. 

I recently got the Sony MDR V6 for home listening and am steadily growing to love them. If possible I would like to get a pair IEMs with a similar sound signature (as possible) but am open to any suggestions.

I listen to a variety of different music types including some dance (house/techno) acoustic  (fink / bonobo / cougar)  singer songwriter (fink) piano and cello based (classical). Strengths for these music types are a plus and anything that can give good soundstaging (positioning of the sound?) would be better.

The sound doesn't need exaggerated bass but I appreciate the full sound the V6s seem to produce.

I hope this doesn't come across as me being lazy as I have been reading reviews / threads in this forum for a couple of weeks. Still hear are the leading contenders but I do not know if their strengths match up to my musical preferences.

I'll appreciate if anyone can advise me based on their own experiences. 

I have gleaned a few ideas of my own:

Beyerdynamic DTX 80 
Klipsch Image s4's 
Audio Technica ATHCK7
Head direct RE0
Panasonic RP-HJE900

DTX 80 - These were my first choice. Have these been replaced by the DTX 71s? I cannot find a review for them anywhere.

Head direct Re0 - These sound perfect but I've read they are a bit thin in bass which might affect me more than others.

Panasonic RP-HJE900 - Mixed reviews..

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 10
Cheers for the suggestion - From what I can read about them they do sound like they are the best quality. I cannot find any retailers in the UK that stock them though. The one website I found was "Out of Stock"...

Can anybody suggest an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 10
another "bung for the buck" is Radius DDM.
Best suited for piano and stringed instruments.

I see they are available in UK at iheadphones
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=radius

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the suggestion - reviews say the sound is amazing! A great sound signature for my tastes.

I should have mentioned this will be for mainly portable use ie cycling to work / use in the office / walking outside etc and the DDM apparently doesn't like movement

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion - reviews say the sound is amazing! A great sound signature for my tastes.

I should have mentioned this will be for mainly portable use ie cycling to work / use in the office / walking outside etc and the DDM apparently doesn't like movement

Yes DDM cable makes noise (microphonic) as well as isolation is poor.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Good bang for buck IEM's

re262, DBA-02, Fischer Audio Silver Bullet, Fischer Audio Eterna, Radius DDM, Pana HJE900, re-0, 

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 10
I'd suggest you look into the Etymotic ER6i.

I've got the ER6, but from everything I've read, the ER6i is just a more efficient version of the 6.  So if the i is anything like the 6, it's going to be killer "for the money" IEM, as long as you're not a bass-head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back