1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Good bang for buck IEMs

1. SarafAtak
    Hello all

Apologies in advance if I use any technical terms in completely the wrong context...

I would like to narrow down a search for a good pair of in ear monitors anywhere between £50 and £150. Its not particularly the price i'm interested in but sound quality / value. I have looked at many of the previous threads (sub $100 /£100) and the differences in choice and opinions is making my head spin. 

I recently got the Sony MDR V6 for home listening and am steadily growing to love them. If possible I would like to get a pair IEMs with a similar sound signature (as possible) but am open to any suggestions.

I listen to a variety of different music types including some dance (house/techno) acoustic  (fink / bonobo / cougar)  singer songwriter (fink) piano and cello based (classical). Strengths for these music types are a plus and anything that can give good soundstaging (positioning of the sound?) would be better.

The sound doesn't need exaggerated bass but I appreciate the full sound the V6s seem to produce.

I hope this doesn't come across as me being lazy as I have been reading reviews / threads in this forum for a couple of weeks. Still hear are the leading contenders but I do not know if their strengths match up to my musical preferences.

I'll appreciate if anyone can advise me based on their own experiences. 

I have gleaned a few ideas of my own:

Beyerdynamic DTX 80 
    Klipsch Image s4's 
    Audio Technica ATHCK7
    Head direct RE0
    Panasonic RP-HJE900

DTX 80 - These were my first choice. Have these been replaced by the DTX 71s? I cannot find a review for them anywhere.

Head direct Re0 - These sound perfect but I've read they are a bit thin in bass which might affect me more than others.

Panasonic RP-HJE900 - Mixed reviews..

2. dye1337
    I think the re-zero is better bang for buck than the re0 And has more bass. would be my pick

3. SarafAtak
    Cheers for the suggestion - From what I can read about them they do sound like they are the best quality. I cannot find any retailers in the UK that stock them though. The one website I found was "Out of Stock"...

Can anybody suggest an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

4. yello131
    another "bung for the buck" is Radius DDM.
    Best suited for piano and stringed instruments.

I see they are available in UK at iheadphones
    http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=radius

5. SarafAtak
    Thanks for the suggestion - reviews say the sound is amazing! A great sound signature for my tastes.

I should have mentioned this will be for mainly portable use ie cycling to work / use in the office / walking outside etc and the DDM apparently doesn't like movement

6. yello131

Quote:
    Yes DDM cable makes noise (microphonic) as well as isolation is poor.

7. Marcus_C
    If you want a review of the beyer's they're in my sig, I like them a lot, much better than the s4 and without the build flaws present in the re0. There are a few other people's impressions in the thread and bear in mind it was written a year ago but I stand by most of it.

8. TheDreamthinker
    Next would be the DBA-02......I haven't owned it, but it's supposed to be very good.

9. Redmetal1897
    Good bang for buck IEM's

re262, DBA-02, Fischer Audio Silver Bullet, Fischer Audio Eterna, Radius DDM, Pana HJE900, re-0, 

10. AudioDwebe
    I'd suggest you look into the Etymotic ER6i.

I've got the ER6, but from everything I've read, the ER6i is just a more efficient version of the 6.  So if the i is anything like the 6, it's going to be killer "for the money" IEM, as long as you're not a bass-head.