Good Alternative To My M50's????
Jan 12, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #31 of 60

If that's the case, then they're going to be similar to M50's....

Looks like I'm getting closer to owning some Grado's.

Thanks for your help Argyris. If anyone has any experience with the 240's, I would appreciate your input
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Naw, sorry, I only know the K240 by reputation. Judging solely by their measurements they look like they'd sound similar to an SRH840 (or the other way around, as the K240 has quite the pedigree on the Shures), but I am NOT going to make any definitive evaluation as I haven't heard either.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #32 of 60
I recently took a step in the direction that you are thinking of going. I have the Sennheisser HD555, ATH M50 and some Alessandro MS-1's (just another Grado) and also the E9/E7 combo. I bought the Senns first, then the M50's. There is a big difference between them being that the Senns are very open and lack bass. The M50's, as you might know, have terrific bass, but can be a little lacking in the mid to highs when compared to the bass. I decided to go the Grado route, and I read that the SR80i's are not worth it over the 60i's, and the SR125 and 225's aren't worth that much more price/performance. But the Alessandro MS-1 offer, from what I've been told, comparable sound to SR125's for less money. I suggest taking a look at them. They are much more fun that the HD555's and I'm thinking of selling them, and will mod the MS-1's to what they call here to an MS-1000. It opens them up to a better soundstage and improved bass which would be good for the electronic music I listen to, but maintain that Grado sound that is great for any acoustic/rock.

I'm starting to think I have a very popular and highly recommended setup for a beginner here. Though the more I listen to the MS-1's the more I hate the Senns. Damn you Head-fi!!

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #33 of 60

Quote:
Quote:
Another highly regarded headphone in your price range is the Shure SRH840.  I believe you can get these online for around $150.

nope...$120 from an authorized dealer, electronics-expo.com (with coupon code: techbargains)

I was looking into those, I want mids and sound stage, I have been shopping around so far I have the HD598, AD700, DT880, HD600 and these under consideration fro mids, open always has better soundstage.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #34 of 60
Woah a bit of deja vu there....
biggrin.gif

With the exception of the HD 555's my route is going to be pretty much the same. I'm going to first purchase the E7 when I order this next set of cans and then eventually get the E9.

I was looking on their website and was a bit confused, you could probably clear this up for me.

There are two options for the music series one.... the 2009 version is $9 more. What's the difference?

Also, are you recommending the MS-1's over the SR60i's? (pretty sure you are, just want to double check
redface.gif
)

Quote:
I recently took a step in the direction that you are thinking of going. I have the Sennheisser HD555, ATH M50 and some Alessandro MS-1's (just another Grado) and also the E9/E7 combo. I bought the Senns first, then the M50's. There is a big difference between them being that the Senns are very open and lack bass. The M50's, as you might know, have terrific bass, but can be a little lacking in the mid to highs when compared to the bass. I decided to go the Grado route, and I read that the SR80i's are not worth it over the 60i's, and the SR125 and 225's aren't worth that much more price/performance. But the Alessandro MS-1 offer, from what I've been told, comparable sound to SR125's for less money. I suggest taking a look at them. They are much more fun that the HD555's and I'm thinking of selling them, and will mod the MS-1's to what they call here to an MS-1000. It opens them up to a better soundstage and improved bass which would be good for the electronic music I listen to, but maintain that Grado sound that is great for any acoustic/rock.

I'm starting to think I have a very popular and highly recommended setup for a beginner here. Though the more I listen to the MS-1's the more I hate the Senns. Damn you Head-fi!!

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #35 of 60
From what I understand it's that the cup is a little bigger on the improved ones. People seem to like them and do notice a difference that is worth the $10, though I did buy the original model.

I don't feel like I could recommend the MS-1's over the SR60i since I have never owned or even tried the latter. But I've read that people are very happy with their MS-1's and were pleased to make the step above the 60i/80i. I've read they are less bright than the Grado's (but not by much) and offer a more "laid back" sound.

Then again, they were a sort of impulse buy for me, but they certainly do amaze me over the M50's and I was glad to make the purchase in the end. Sorry I can't give much detail on the matter, Other people would have to chime in about their opinions of Alessandro over Grado. And sorry about adding another hp to your pool of considerations. I don't want to confuse!

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #36 of 60

biggrin.gif

Confusing? Not at all, your recommendations are a huge help and your knowledge in the audiophile world is cherished on my end. I need all the help I can get.

So now it's either Alessandro MS-1's or SR60i's or 80i..... Slowly but surely I'll narrow it down to one
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone else have thoughts on the Alessandro vs. Grado discussion?
Quote:
From what I understand it's that the cup is a little bigger on the improved ones. People seem to like them and do notice a difference that is worth the $10, though I did buy the original model.

I don't feel like I could recommend the MS-1's over the SR60i since I have never owned or even tried the latter. But I've read that people are very happy with their MS-1's and were pleased to make the step above the 60i/80i. I've read they are less bright than the Grado's (but not by much) and offer a more "laid back" sound.

Then again, they were a sort of impulse buy for me, but they certainly do amaze me over the M50's and I was glad to make the purchase in the end. Sorry I can't give much detail on the matter, Other people would have to chime in about their opinions of Alessandro over Grado. And sorry about adding another hp to your pool of considerations. I don't want to confuse!

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #37 of 60
Love Grado, Hate Alessandro. Bad experience. Could have been a defective pair of MS-1's or some unknown force acting upon them...but they were the most painfully bright and sibilant headphone I ever had on my ears. I bought them and quickly sold them here. The person that bought them never complained that they thought anything was wrong with them so I don't know. I have been beyond pleased with my Grado SR325i's though and when I demoed the SR60 - GS1000 lineup...they were all great in their own regard. Personally I would go SR60 and do the mods as described in the SR60 Mod thread.

Quote:

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #38 of 60

Quote:
Quote:
Another highly regarded headphone in your price range is the Shure SRH840.  I believe you can get these online for around $150.

nope...$120 from an authorized dealer, electronics-expo.com (with coupon code: techbargains)

also I may jump on that...SO LONG NEW YEARS RESOLUTION....maybe.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #39 of 60

That's sort of what I'm worried about. Since they're custom ordered, I'm a little nervous about them being defective/not really liking them.

Has anyone else had both the Alessandro and 60i/80i (or at least one of them) ?
Quote:
Love Grado, Hate Alessandro. Bad experience. Could have been a defective pair of MS-1's or some unknown force acting upon them...but they were the most painfully bright and sibilant headphone I ever had on my ears. I bought them and quickly sold them here. The person that bought them never complained that they thought anything was wrong with them so I don't know. I have been beyond pleased with my Grado SR325i's though and when I demoed the SR60 - GS1000 lineup...they were all great in their own regard. Personally I would go SR60 and do the mods as described in the SR60 Mod thread.

Quote:

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #40 of 60
So I've narrowed my choice down to 3 Grado's.

60i
80i
125i

Now, I know a few of you said that the 80i wasn't worth the extra money and that for the price/performance ration the 125i wasn't worth the extra cash either. This is what's making this final decision so difficult
biggrin.gif

Since I'm going to be buying an E7 with one of these, I was thinking of going the 60i route to keep the pocket bleeding as minimal as possible. However, should I throw up the extra cash for the 80i's or 125i's? Or is it just not worth it?

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #41 of 60
The MS1 is the best price/performance in the Grado SR lineup. It is basically a 225. It took me an hour+ to really find differences between the two. Highly recommended, especially if you purchase a pair of bowls to play with. And you get a choice of 1/8 or 1/4 plug. I have since sold both, but will pick the MS1 back up at some point.

Quote:

60i
80i
125i

Now, I know a few of you said that the 80i wasn't worth the extra money and that for the price/performance ration the 125i wasn't worth the extra cash either. This is what's making this final decision so difficult
biggrin.gif

Since I'm going to be buying an E7 with one of these, I was thinking of going the 60i route to keep the pocket bleeding as minimal as possible. However, should I throw up the extra cash for the 80i's or 125i's? Or is it just not worth it?

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #42 of 60
The SR60i will tell you if you even like grado's, you may spend the money on the 125i and hate it, not because it's defective but because it's not for you. Because you've never used one tells me you won't know what to expect and that is why you shouldn't spend more then you need to. If you get the 60i's and love them then by all  means think about upgrading in the future or don't and be happy with the 60i's. I know quiet a few people who just like the 60i's and don't think about the higher end grado's cause the difference isn't worth the money. This is why we were talking about making "Jumps" in your upgrading cause the differences would be more noticable and better worth your money. Also it's a small investment if you don't like them.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #43 of 60
Guess I'll throw the MS-1 into the mix as well
beyersmile.png

What cups do you recommend?

EDIT: @ SoSpecial - Exactly why I was leaning towards the 60i route. I don't have any wear to try them out and the only pair of cans I've ever owner were M50's. From what I've heard, Grado's have a very distinctive sound and there's no exact way of knowing I'll like that "Grado" sound.
Quote:
The MS1 is the best price/performance in the Grado SR lineup. It is basically a 225. It took me an hour+ to really find differences between the two. Highly recommended, especially if you purchase a pair of bowls to play with. And you get a choice of 1/8 or 1/4 plug. I have since sold both, but will pick the MS1 back up at some point.

Quote:

60i
80i
125i

biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #45 of 60
If that's the case, hopefully it's love.

At this point, it seems as if the 60i's are best option considering all my factors. Even though I would love the MS-1's, I just don't think I should order them without having ever heard a Grado before. It's a custom order headphone, and although it's only like $20 extra, it just doesn't seem like a sensible purchase.

Of course, I'm always open to being persuaded otherwise
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back