Goldpoint Headphone Pro
Sep 25, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #136 of 357
I have had some trouble finding such things that looks good. I couldn´t wait so I hooked them up to my 1500W transformator. Maybe those 20 kg beasts should be better then any of those smaller anyway? I suppose to even be able to deliver 1500W they need to have some kind of portable anyway?

I have absolutely no background noise at all. Pitch black so that problem KeeS reported they have fixed

Won´t comment to much on sound but they at least doesn´t sound horrible. Hope for a bit more warmth perhaps with more burnin or customization
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #137 of 357
Anyone more noticed that it tend to loose power at times? Does it have some power saving mode or is it just finicky about the connection on the back? Touch it and the power comes back. The adapter do get really hot but I suspect that is due to my transformer transferring a lot of heat to it.

One genious thing that I never knew I missed is the markings on the volume control. It´s brilliant to know I should be at 15 for my 300 ohms GMP 20 for my 900 12.5 for my 8.35D monitors etc instead of having to hunt for the spl metre all the time and go with some average volume pod setting.

The drawback with this notchy spl metre is for real fine tuning you have to do it via your media player since there is quite a difference between each notch I suppose.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #138 of 357
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone more noticed that it tend to loose power at times? Does it have some power saving mode or is it just finicky about the connection on the back? Touch it and the power comes back. The adapter do get really hot but I suspect that is due to my transformer transferring a lot of heat to it.

Not on my unit. When you say the adapter gets really hot do you mean the 12V a.c. input jack or the step down transformer or something else ?

My power supply (Little Pinkie) runs cool to the touch and same as the amp. No problem at all.

BTW, after 30 hours I would say the Headphone Pro is a winner - Surprisingly detailed and very impressive and controlled bass. Just too early to do full impression sharing but from what I heard this amp has a lot of promise and can challenge those those much higher on the price list. The vertical version is a nice looking space saving design and very unique.

F. Lo

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #139 of 357
My 1500W transformer is of course always hot. So may just be that transferring heat. I can hold the 12V a.c 2 a converter without getting blisters or having to remove my hand but it´s really on the limit.

As for the statement about more expensive amps. I can´t make such comparisons but from my first hours I can´t really hear any higher fidelity then the similarly priced Slee Solo. I would assume it will just be which one has the best synergy with my setups that will decide which is better.

If someone have some really really revealing recordings where I could extract more detail it would be interesting. But I haven´t heard that so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #140 of 357
There is a 8 db difference in volume on my 35 ohms 435S headphones per notch on this. I suppose that is quite normal?

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #141 of 357
Quote:

There is a 8 db difference in volume on my 35 ohms 435S headphones per notch on this. I suppose that is quite normal?

What are 435S headphones?
The difference depends on the sensitivity of the phones.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #142 of 357
German Maestro 435S.
Have similar problems with my 900s but to slightly lesser extent. Not so much a problem on my PC but my PS 3 lacks volume control. I haven´t found it anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #143 of 357
Quote:

German Maestro 435S.
Have similar problems with my 900s but to slightly lesser extent. Not so much a problem on my PC but my PS 3 lacks volume control. I haven´t found it anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a stepped attenuator. It has separate resistors for left and right channel at every step. I don't have any problems with this one (I did find others not very convenient in the spacing). I think this is the best volume control I've had on any amp so far.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #144 of 357
How many db is it between each step for you with the 900?

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #145 of 357
Quote:

How many db is it between each step for you with the 900?

I don't know, I don't have an SPL meter. I usually have the dial between 9 and 12 o' clock with my PRO900. It is 6 clicks from 9 to 12 and that is fine for me. I never had the feeling that "I want it louder but one click up is too loud" .

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #146 of 357
Quote:

The first few steps of the attenuator are fairly large until you get to step 7, which gives you 2 dB per step, which I find works well.

steps2.gif

So, if you are typically listening below step 7, the volume jumps will be excessive. Goldpoint shows you how to modify this on their website, although it may be easier to simply reduce the output level of your source.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #147 of 357
Ah good to see. I may have to look into if it can be fixed since I mostly use low impedance headphones that do want to run below 7. Usually listen at quite low volume 75-80db or 85 db when I go crazy
smily_headphones1.gif

Changing volume on my PS 3 from normal gives me distortion for some weird reason.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #148 of 357
Guess I have some 50h pink noise in it now. As mentioned it´s like splitting hairs comparing to the Slee Solo. They sound pretty much identical when I A-B. The included cable is not crap either though it may look cheap. I can´t tell a difference between that and the Zu Pivot more then I have to adjust the volume a little bit down when using the pivot.

Maybe maybe the Pro is a bit smoother and less harsh but you can focus until you get nose bleed and can´t say for sure. I would like to see someone who could detect which is which on a blind test since the balance and bass levels and such is quite equal.
I guess I found my ear threshold with these. I don´t really want anything different and they surely sound "reference" to my ears.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #149 of 357
I have a hard time believing the GP can drive 250 ohm to 300 ohm to listenable levels.. My 120 ohm adapter DT48 needs a lot of clicks to get decent volume.. Still waiting for my heat sink upgrade..

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #150 of 357
Nice to see some more impressions of this amplifier. I am still considering one as I want to try something non-tube after hearing what the Meier Opera was capable of.

Right now I am considering the Goldpoint, an M3, Little Dot MKVII or a Solo. I don't think I will get rid of my DT880s very soon but might get either a HD650 or a Grado in the near future. How do you think the GP will handle different types of headphones? Would you say it prefers some types of headphones or are they a jack of all trades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back