GoldPlanar GL2000 Thread
Feb 16, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #196 of 560
Thanks for your feedback @adityadubey this exactly the type of insight I was after, especially knowing that you own the Kann Alpha as well. It’s interesting where you mention the HD660s, I’ve not really paid much attention to these previously, I guess it’s because it’s overshadowed in the audiophile community by its siblings - the 600s and 650s!

I am definitely interested in buying these, I am just investigating where best to buy them from (DD Audio Store on AliExpress looks promising)

Honestly, I haven't head the Sivga Phoenix or the Nighthawks as you mentioned in your previous thread so can't compare the GL 2000s to them. However on their own I do believe they are a great headphone and worth the £480 I paid on Aliexpress (DD Audio store).

In terms of where to order from, I had a decent experience with Aliexpress. That said I suppose Amazon does give you some added security, but again the £60 bump in price is also not inconsequential.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #197 of 560
I just purchased from AliExpress last night. The web site said they have like 65 in stock. I looked and everyone else has a wait, Drop is like the end of April, Amazon U.S. (supplied by Liinsoul) is like end of March, so for me AliExpress with an early March delivery to the states was the way to go.
Is that from DD-Audio Store on AliExpress?

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #198 of 560
Honestly, I haven't head the Sivga Phoenix or the Nighthawks as you mentioned in your previous thread so can't compare the GL 2000s to them. However on their own I do believe they are a great headphone and worth the £480 I paid on Aliexpress (DD Audio store).

In terms of where to order from, I had a decent experience with Aliexpress. That said I suppose Amazon does give you some added security, but again the £60 bump in price is also not inconsequential.
Thank you, I think I am erring towards buying from the same seller. Thank you for taking time out and sharing your feedback, I really appreciate it 👍🏻

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #199 of 560
Well, just received email from Drop. And as we know Drop, it never disappoints. In short, they suppose to start shipping on Feb.10 (at least batch I was part of) and now they kindly have pushed that date, conveniently by at least a month. So, this is my last time buying from that incompetent place.
Not sure how they still stay in business???

If you already receive the unit later maybe you can make comparison with adx if possible, im curious..

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #200 of 560
This will drive them all night long and it cost's about $100 USD, just in case your's fails to perform.
-
-
FiiO: BTR5-384K/32Bit Native DSD256 Hi-Res CSR8675 Bluetooth5.0 Receiver/USB DAC/DSD Headphone Amp with LDAC, aptX HD, aptX, AAC (3.5mm Unbalanced&2.5mm Balanced Output, Black).

Including Hi-fi DACs(ES9218P*2) for extremely detailed reproduction of sound and Independent control chip Xmos XUF208 for the ultimate in decoding performance, supporting up to 384kHz and native DSD
  • CSR8675 Bluetooth 5.0 receiver designed to deliver studio-quality sound through your ears WIRELESS - using your existing wired headphones, earphones or even speakers.
  • For greater power and detail resolution,the BTR5 features both balanced 2.5mm and single-ended 3.5mm outpts.
  • Can be remotely controlled via FiiO Music app to swtich channel balance,8 different DAC lowpass filter and 10-band EQ
  • FPGA precision clock management+OLED Displaying+9 hours battery life+2 microphones with cVC 8.0 noise cancellation

I received my 4.4mm to 2.5mm converter yesterday and just tested the GL2000 with the BTR 5 as well, and can confirm that it is indeed capable of driving the headphones. Best I've ever heard AAC streaming from my iphone to be honest :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #202 of 560
If you already receive the unit later maybe you can make comparison with adx if possible, im curious..
I plan on doing so.

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #203 of 560
I have been keeping close tabs on this chat as I am seriously considering purchasing the double magnetic version but as a proud and happy owner of the Nighthawks and Sivga Phoenix I am not sure I need or have room for this headphone but would be interested to hear anyone’s views or comments on this!
Buy and try! That's the only way you'll truly know. That's been my experience anyway.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #204 of 560
Well, just received email from Drop. And as we know Drop, it never disappoints. In short, they suppose to start shipping on Feb.10 (at least batch I was part of) and now they kindly have pushed that date, conveniently by at least a month. So, this is my last time buying from that incompetent place.
Not sure how they still stay in business???
Not sure 100% why (my bit@hing to them might have had something to do with that) but it appears that they will ship them shortly. I guess twisting some elbows helps but that should never be the case to begin with.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #205 of 560
They just arrived. I compared them briefly to my Audeze LCDX as far as sound/comfort is concern. In short, they’re not them. More later.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #206 of 560
First impressions are a mixed bag. And I’ll probably save my long winded, full review for my own thread , however. I’ll say this. These are not technically on par with Audeze LCD-X or ADX5000 (thrown them into rotation for a bit). It would be foolish to say that or mislead people to think that. But, for $600, these are quite fun and capable headphones to play with. They do some things very well and some things are hard to dismiss when compared to headphones from upper tier category. I don’t have headphones that I could compare to GLs directly as far as design/price is concern. So this might sound a bit harsh. But believe me, it’s not. Just trying to be honest with you here.
GLs are a fine headphones that will make many people extremely happy. And to get substantially better sound, you will need to spend sizable pocket change.
Are they worth their asking $600?
Yes.
I have tried them with my SS and Tube amp, and for whatever reason, SS worked substantially better with GLs.
They do need more power then LCDX, that’s for sure. I would say that they might appear to be easy to drive but be cautious. They seem to be power hungry.
Comfort is OK but not spectacular. Weighting substantially less than LCDX ( which is great) but balance is a bit weird.
Stock pads are OK. And I preferred sound with those for the most part. Perforated pads are a little weird. (I have tried aftermarket perforated pads as well. And they sounded better then those that came with GLs). They give impression of artificial “air/detail/space” but it feels unnatural/forced. There’s also this sound characteristic that I can only described as “compression-like”. In upper bass and lower treble. Muddiness in upper bass and a sort of shout in lower treble. It also could be my imagination so take it with a grain of salt.
Anyway, these are my impressions from a very brief time I had with them.
So take it for what it is.
419021CE-CD1A-4A37-A82B-D658C6CE7A20.jpeg

edited corrections.
I should also add that I didn’t use stock cable.
I have used my own single ended cable bc non of my amps have 4.4 connectors on it.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #207 of 560
It would be great to hear a comparison of these vs. the LCD-X. I've had my eye on the LCD-X's for a long time, but of course even with the creator package those are twice as expensive as these. Would be interesting as an upgrade path for the future.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #208 of 560
It would be great to hear a comparison of these vs. the LCD-X. I've had my eye on the LCD-X's for a long time, but of course even with the creator package those are twice as expensive as these. Would be interesting as an upgrade path for the future.
LCD-X would be a logical upgrade to these. No question about it. I would expect price of LCDX to come down a bit in 2021. There’s also an option of going with B-stock certified if you want to save some serious money. Just make sure to get serial number and confirm with Audeze b4 pulling the trigger.

Edit.
I might as well say few things how these two stock up. LCDX are faster, cleaner, more transparent, extended on top, crisper and bassier. That’s about it. Lol

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #209 of 560
Stock pads are OK. And I preferred sound with those for the most part. Perforated pads are a little weird. (I have tried aftermarket perforated pads as well. And they sounded better then those that came with GLs).
Thanks for the impressions. Are you saying here that you found some aftermarket pads that fit on the GL2000? If so, could you let us know what they are?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #210 of 560
It would be great to hear a comparison of these vs. the LCD-X. I've had my eye on the LCD-X's for a long time, but of course even with the creator package those are twice as expensive as these.

Agreed. I would also love to hear a comparison with the LCD-GX, as they are closer in price to the GL2000 and they seem to come up often used in the $600 range. I've had my eye on various pairs recently...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back