GoldPlanar GL2000 Thread
Feb 16, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #185 of 560
I have been keeping close tabs on this chat as I am seriously considering purchasing the double magnetic version but as a proud and happy owner of the Nighthawks and Sivga Phoenix I am not sure I need or have room for this headphone but would be interested to hear anyone’s views or comments on this!

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #186 of 560
I have been keeping close tabs on this chat as I am seriously considering purchasing the double magnetic version but as a proud and happy owner of the Nighthawks and Sivga Phoenix I am not sure I need or have room for this headphone but would be interested to hear anyone’s views or comments on this!

Soundwise, they sound nothing like the Nighthawks.
Ive not owned the Sivga's, so, i can't compare them as rivals or as siblings.

The GL2000s are very comfortable headphones.
Similar in size to the Susvara.
Their sound is wide, airy, detailed, vs being warm and rich and thick.......as they possess no low-mid bump.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #188 of 560
Soundwise, they sound nothing like the Nighthawks.
Ive not owned the Sivga's, so, i can't compare them as rivals or as siblings.

The GL2000s are very comfortable headphones.
Similar in size to the Susvara.
Their sound is wide, airy, detailed, vs being warm and rich and thick.......as they possess no low-mid bump.

That sounds intriguing. The one question remains whether my Astell and Kern Kann Alpha has got enough juice to run these planar!

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #189 of 560
That sounds intriguing. The one question remains whether my Astell and Kern Kann Alpha has got enough juice to run these planar!

This will drive them all night long and it cost's about $100 USD, just in case your's fails to perform.
-
-
FiiO: BTR5-384K/32Bit Native DSD256 Hi-Res CSR8675 Bluetooth5.0 Receiver/USB DAC/DSD Headphone Amp with LDAC, aptX HD, aptX, AAC (3.5mm Unbalanced&2.5mm Balanced Output, Black).

Including Hi-fi DACs(ES9218P*2) for extremely detailed reproduction of sound and Independent control chip Xmos XUF208 for the ultimate in decoding performance, supporting up to 384kHz and native DSD
  • CSR8675 Bluetooth 5.0 receiver designed to deliver studio-quality sound through your ears WIRELESS - using your existing wired headphones, earphones or even speakers.
  • For greater power and detail resolution,the BTR5 features both balanced 2.5mm and single-ended 3.5mm outpts.
  • Can be remotely controlled via FiiO Music app to swtich channel balance,8 different DAC lowpass filter and 10-band EQ
  • FPGA precision clock management+OLED Displaying+9 hours battery life+2 microphones with cVC 8.0 noise cancellation

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #190 of 560
This will drive them all night long and it cost's about $100 USD, just in case your's fails to perform.
-
-
FiiO: BTR5-384K/32Bit Native DSD256 Hi-Res CSR8675 Bluetooth5.0 Receiver/USB DAC/DSD Headphone Amp with LDAC, aptX HD, aptX, AAC (3.5mm Unbalanced&2.5mm Balanced Output, Black).

Including Hi-fi DACs(ES9218P*2) for extremely detailed reproduction of sound and Independent control chip Xmos XUF208 for the ultimate in decoding performance, supporting up to 384kHz and native DSD
  • CSR8675 Bluetooth 5.0 receiver designed to deliver studio-quality sound through your ears WIRELESS - using your existing wired headphones, earphones or even speakers.
  • For greater power and detail resolution,the BTR5 features both balanced 2.5mm and single-ended 3.5mm outpts.
  • Can be remotely controlled via FiiO Music app to swtich channel balance,8 different DAC lowpass filter and 10-band EQ
  • FPGA precision clock management+OLED Displaying+9 hours battery life+2 microphones with cVC 8.0 noise cancellation

That’s good because I also have the BTR5 and Q5S! Happy days 😀

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #193 of 560
I spent most of the weekend listening to them - most of the time from the Kann Alpha, and am still very impressed. I also listened to them on the iFi Zen Dac + Zen Can stack and have the HD 660s to compare. Thus far, I have listened to them with the "closed" leather pads, will switch to the hybrid ones later at some point and try them out.

The clarity on the GL-2000s is amazing. After a couple of hours of listening, I realised that I had the volume turned up far too high for regular listening. The detail and complete lack of distortion at high volume had me confused! Eventually I settled for medium gain on the Kann Alpa, with 70-75 as a good baseline volume (out of 150).
The headphones are great out of the box and have a wide soundstage (significantly wider than the HD660s), and great imaging with left - right separation. What was even more impressive was that these also have a sense of depth and verticality - e.g., on some Postmodern Jukebox tracks, I could hear the piano at a lower level vs. the vocals, and the wind instruments were high again.

Where they really shine though is at the low-end, where they deliver just the right amount of bass the track demands, with incredible detail, clarity and even decay depending on the instrument. I love Atomic by Blondie, especially for its sublime bassline. Most headphones / setups in my experience struggle in maintaining the clarity for the bass without overemphasizing it given everything else going on in the highs and mids. These perform perfectly. I loved the bass on every song I listened to.

I listened to a relatively wide genre of music across rock, pop, electronica, some blues and jazz as well and enjoyed listening to all of it with a grin on my face most of the time and hearing details and sounds I'd never heard before quite often. While the HD 660s would still win for vocals in my opinion, you don't feel like the vocals are lacking while listening to the GL 2000s, that's just one area where I think the HD 660s are unbeatable. Of course, with detail and clarity also comes transparency, and there were a couple of badly recorded tracks (e.g., earlier black keys albums) where these were not as forgiving (especially paired with the Kann Alpha) as the HD 660s. However, I suspect that might change depending on the source / amp combination, as switching to the iFi Zen stack made it a bit better.

This was a bit of a rambling review, and I still need to check out the other more airy pads, but I really love these headphones, the hype is indeed real.

Edit: Forgot to mention:
- They're really open (as in open back) - there is significant sound leakage both ways.
- While heavy they are very comfortable, and once I got the right fit and they settled right on my head I had no issues wearing them for extended periods.

2nd Edit: Leonard Cohen might be an exception on the vocals vs. the HD 660s since his voice is basically bass.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #194 of 560
I spent most of the weekend listening to them - most of the time from the Kann Alpha, and am still very impressed. I also listened to them on the iFi Zen Dac + Zen Can stack and have the HD 660s to compare. Thus far, I have listened to them with the "closed" leather pads, will switch to the hybrid ones later at some point and try them out.

The clarity on the GL-2000s is amazing. After a couple of hours of listening, I realised that I had the volume turned up far too high for regular listening. The detail and complete lack of distortion at high volume had me confused! Eventually I settled for medium gain on the Kann Alpa, with 70-75 as a good baseline volume (out of 150).
The headphones are great out of the box and have a wide soundstage (significantly wider than the HD660s), and great imaging with left - right separation. What was even more impressive was that these also have a sense of depth and verticality - e.g., on some Postmodern Jukebox tracks, I could hear the piano at a lower level vs. the vocals, and the wind instruments were high again.

Where they really shine though is at the low-end, where they deliver just the right amount of bass the track demands, with incredible detail, clarity and even decay depending on the instrument. I love Atomic by Blondie, especially for its sublime bassline. Most headphones / setups in my experience struggle in maintaining the clarity for the bass without overemphasizing it given everything else going on in the highs and mids. These perform perfectly. I loved the bass on every song I listened to.

I listened to a relatively wide genre of music across rock, pop, electronica, some blues and jazz as well and enjoyed listening to all of it with a grin on my face most of the time and hearing details and sounds I'd never heard before quite often. While the HD 660s would still win for vocals in my opinion, you don't feel like the vocals are lacking while listening to the GL 2000s, that's just one area where I think the HD 660s are unbeatable. Of course, with detail and clarity also comes transparency, and there were a couple of badly recorded tracks (e.g., earlier black keys albums) where these were not as forgiving (especially paired with the Kann Alpha) as the HD 660s. However, I suspect that might change depending on the source / amp combination, as switching to the iFi Zen stack made it a bit better.

This was a bit of a rambling review, and I still need to check out the other more airy pads, but I really love these headphones, the hype is indeed real.
Thanks for your feedback @adityadubey this exactly the type of insight I was after, especially knowing that you own the Kann Alpha as well. It’s interesting where you mention the HD660s, I’ve not really paid much attention to these previously, I guess it’s because it’s overshadowed in the audiophile community by its siblings - the 600s and 650s!

I am definitely interested in buying these, I am just investigating where best to buy them from (DD Audio Store on AliExpress looks promising)

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #195 of 560
Thanks for your feedback @adityadubey this exactly the type of insight I was after, especially knowing that you own the Kann Alpha as well. It’s interesting where you mention the HD660s, I’ve not really paid much attention to these previously, I guess it’s because it’s overshadowed in the audiophile community by its siblings - the 600s and 650s!

I am definitely interested in buying these, I am just investigating where best to buy them from (DD Audio Store on AliExpress looks promising)
I just purchased from AliExpress last night. The web site said they have like 65 in stock. I looked and everyone else has a wait, Drop is like the end of April, Amazon U.S. (supplied by Liinsoul) is like end of March, so for me AliExpress with an early March delivery to the states was the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back