Going round in circles - upgrade advice: ATH M50 vs. ATH AD700 (for example)
Oct 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #17 of 30
Now that I have experience with them, how about HD555 with foam mod (maybe sound stage mod)?  They are available for $75 if you search for the thread with the location and coupon.

They are easy to drive, but sound better with an amp.  They have good bass (with foam mod its more), good sound stage (with sound stage mod its much improved),  the sound is excellent and high end, if a little dark.  Truly a worthy value can.  They also are sleek and relatively comfortable.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 30

Quote:
Yes please - that would be most helpful!  Especially on non-amped / iPod type output.

Are you getting the 32ohm version?  I wonder whether they sound any different?

Thanks!

Pete

Definitely I am getting the AD700 tomorrow and I will post my impressions. I do have an amp however I will be sure to make a comparison of them amped and non-amped.
My references will the SRH840 (which should be similar to an M50), DBA-02 and RE0.
I used to be a basshead but after hearing the DBA's I no longer am one.
I'm very tolerant of not there being enough bass compared to many people however I found the RE0 somewhat bass light.

However since the AD700 is a full size headphone I'm more than sure that it will have at least more or the same amount (maybe more) bass than the DBA-02 which I find has a perfect amount of bass.

The 32ohm version is the only one that I know of.

Also you might want to look at this mod for added comfort/and enchanced sound quality:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505053/audio-technica-ath-ad700-fit-and-comfort-mod

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 30
Listened to these for a bit over an hour amped an around 10 mins unamped.

All I can say is wow. I definitely prefer these over my SRH840. If Shure ever resends the 840 to me, I assure you they will see seldom use.

First off comfort is the best I've ever had in a headphone.

Construction is also flawless so far. Cable is phenomenal.

Now on to sound. I've listened mostly to rock for you.
These sound like the DBA-02 but with an ever bigger soundtage, slightly more bass, and slightly more detailed, clarity/transparency.
The sound is very mid-centric and are slightly-forward/bright.
In my opinion rock sounds the BEST that way. Guitars sound amazing on these; the slightly forward mids makes the guitar a little more apparent in rock. If you love guitars in your rock these are a no-brainer.

Vocals are somewhat also a bit forward. Vocals are extremely clear and heard.

The bass is absolutely good for me. The bass extension is great; these can sound very very low.
On some songs you'll laugh when people say "they have no bass". I find that ridiculous.
I think the bass quantity is average but sounds a little less thanks to forward mids. It's perfectly adequate for me however.
The only thing a bit lacking is the bass impact which I personally mind very little. When people complain about the AD700 it's not the quality of the bass; I know now from hearing these it's the impact.

I can't believe it when I hear people giving up on these because of bass. Seriously the mids-highs, bass-extension, comfort, build, soundstage, transparency, and clarity are WAY too good to dismiss these. Bass is perfectly adequate to me.

Unamped they sound extremely good as well. Very similar to it amped.
I think an amp will improve the SQ on these from 5% up to 15% at most I believe.
If comfort, bass, or even SQ is a problem check out this mod:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505053/audio-technica-ath-ad700-fit-and-comfort-mod

To fix bass just use an EQ.

I haven't used an EQ or modified yet these personally yet though because I'm perfectly happy with how it is right now.

pete99 What are you still reading for? Seriously go get 'em now! These are my favorite headphones I've ever owned!
Wikipedia: ‹C› is the third letter in the Latin alphabet. »

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 30

Quote:
Listened to these for a bit over an hour amped an around 10 mins unamped.

All I can say is wow. I definitely prefer these over my SRH840. If Shure ever resends the 840 to me, I assure you they will see seldom use.

First off comfort is the best I've ever had in a headphone.

Construction is also flawless so far. Cable is phenomenal.

Now on to sound. I've listened mostly to rock for you.
These sound like the DBA-02 but with an ever bigger soundtage, slightly more bass, and slightly more detailed, clarity/transparency.
The sound is very mid-centric and are slightly-forward/bright.
In my opinion rock sounds the BEST that way. Guitars sound amazing on these; the slightly forward mids makes the guitar a little more apparent in rock. If you love guitars in your rock these are a no-brainer.

Vocals are somewhat also a bit forward. Vocals are extremely clear and heard.

The bass is absolutely good for me. The bass extension is great; these can sound very very low.
On some songs you'll laugh when people say "they have no bass". I find that ridiculous.
I think the bass quantity is average but sounds a little less thanks to forward mids. It's perfectly adequate for me however.
The only thing a bit lacking is the bass impact which I personally mind very little. When people complain about the AD700 it's not the quality of the bass; I know now from hearing these it's the impact.

I can't believe it when I hear people giving up on these because of bass. Seriously the mids-highs, bass-extension, comfort, build, soundstage, transparency, and clarity are WAY too good to dismiss these. Bass is perfectly adequate to me.

Unamped they sound extremely good as well. Very similar to it amped.
I think an amp will improve the SQ on these from 5% up to 15% at most I believe.
If comfort, bass, or even SQ is a problem check out this mod:

To fix bass just use an EQ.

I haven't used an EQ or modified yet these personally yet though because I'm perfectly happy with how it is right now.

pete99 What are you still reading for? Seriously go get 'em now! These are my favorite headphones I've ever owned!
Wikipedia: ‹C› is the third letter in the Latin alphabet. »

NIce impressions. People get too hung up on bass here too often. There is far more to sound than bass as you said (mids, highs, detail, clarity, transparency, spearation, soundstage, speed, etc.) That being said, they won't satisfy a basshead.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #21 of 30
Thanks Jay. I'll probably do a full review on these in the future though. In love with these cans right now. I feel like they were made for me. (Other than the purple color lol)

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #22 of 30
Pete, are you planning on using these as portables?  I ask cause you said you're gonna be listening exclusively through an S9.  If so, the ad700/900's might not be the best choice for a few reasons.  1) they leak sound a ton, everyone can hear what you're listening to even at low volume.  2) they don't isolate at all, as I'm typing this I'm watching tv and I don't notice any reduction in the volume of the tv with the ad700's on my head vs off my head.  3) the cups are purple on the 700's, just fyi.  4) the cord is like 6 feet long, at least on mine it is which means it'll have to be wound up to avoid it dragging on the floor.  

Of course, if your just gonna be sitting at a desk or on a couch while using these, ignore this post completely, but if your gonna be doing any walking/riding on public transportation, you might wanna look elsewhere.  

I do like my ad700's, they just never leave the house.  

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #23 of 30
Many thanks bisayaboi - a very helpful review and I am persuaded to either AD700 or AD900.

deadhead12 asked "Pete, are you planning on using these as portables? "  - yes I am, but only round the house.  Sound leakage is not an issue for me.  However, it's a shame headphone makers haven't woken up to the option of providing alternate cord lengths / interchangeable cords as 6ft is much too long for portable use.  However, I can live with it - the sound quality is the thing.  I currently stuff my Cowon and the unwanted coiled cord from my Sony MDR V6's into a 'bumbag' - (we all have our problems!) - it works OK for me.

Many thanks again.

Pete

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #24 of 30
It's very easy to spray paint these headphones.

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #25 of 30
OP here!  This is just to say where I ended up!  Although it is hard to find anywhere to audition headphones 'in the flesh' I contacted Audio Technica (in UK) who put me in touch with their UK distributors who sent samples of the AD700 and AD900 to my local hifi shop.  How good is that?

So, I was able to compare my Sony MDR V6's with these 2 AT headphones, using my Cowon  S9 as the source (which is the intended use for the phones) and some relatively high bitrate mp3s and a couple of flacs.  Here are my conclusions from the audition:

1. The AD700's sounded very 'dull' to me!  The example I auditioned looked like it had a lot of miles on the clock, but although the 'sound space' was better than the Sony's I don't think I could live with the dullness of the sound.  The earpads also didn't completely completely contact my head all the way round - I have the wrong shaped head!
  2. The Sony's had much more 'life' than the AD700's but I reappraised the 'sound stage' which was much more muddy and unseparated than the AD700.
  3. The AD900 looked like a fairly new example.  By contrast to the AD700 it was MUCH more lively.  I've read previous posts which say that the AD900 isn't much different to the AD700 but I'd have to say I heard a world of difference!  The highs were nice, the equal or better than the Sony's and the bass was very audible and had good presence, but perhaps without the 'thump' you get on the Sony's.  The separation you get of all the instruments and voices was excellent.  I liked the 'airy' sound - it had enough of the things I like about the Sony's but with loads more breadth and detail.  I had been under the impression that the physical design is the same as the AD700 but the pads on the AD900 made contact with my head all the way round.

So, I think it's pretty obvious which one I bought! AD900, and I'm really happy with it.  The Cowon has loads of power for it - I'm listening without equalisation a the moment, quite loud, and the Cowon is on volume '30' (out of 40).

I was pleased that I had the chance to listen to both Audio Technicas.  If I'd bought the AD900 without having heard the AD700 I'd have been happy but suspecting I could have saved £100 with the AD700 for a similar sound.  Now I feel sure that the sound difference makes the price difference worth it, for me. Hopefully the last headphones I will ever buy, and I can get on with just enjoying the music, which is the whole point!

Pete

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #26 of 30
Awesome post!

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #27 of 30

Quote:

1. The AD700's sounded very 'dull' to me!  
  2. By contrast to the AD700 it [the AD900] was MUCH more lively.  

I agree with you although I'd phrase it a slightly different way: the AD900's correct the slightly recessed mids the AD700's have. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #28 of 30
@pete Good post! Interesting impressions.

I guess I find the mids on the AD700 to be forward because I'm used to the SRH840's laid back sound signature.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #29 of 30

Quote:
@pete Good post! Interesting impressions.

I guess I find the mids on the AD700 to be forward because I'm used to the SRH840's laid back sound signature.

I love comparing between models.  :)

I wouldn't call the 840's laid back though.  I found the mids and treble very even and balanced.  My problem with the 840's was not enough bass.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #30 of 30

Otakusound said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey, just a heads up in case you are considering the ad900's jpzero has his up for sale for pretty cheap.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513591/fs-audio-technica-ad900-alessandro-ms1i

Here are a few of the reviews and comparisons that I found helpful when I was looking at the 900's a year ago.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/418082/ad900-a-subbjective-story-with-a-detailed-review
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/348541/ad900-review
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/271802/audio-technica-ath-ad900-review
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/257561/review-ath-ad900
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476881/audio-technica-ad900-review-and-compared-to-hd595
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/236449/ath-ad900-first-impression
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ad900-impressions-compared-ad700s-417294/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ath-ad900-appreciation-thread-420319
Hope this helps.
Edited by Otakusound - 10/3/10 at 4:26pm

It's helpful to me, Thanks for your instruction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back