Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 3, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #61,532 of 62,437
The aviots are Bluetooth. Sound processing is done on board, which means, assuming you're using the same source  files (ie, the same flac file and the same software to play them), they're going to sound the same regardless of whether they're hooked up to a smartphone or a multi-thousand dollar desktop rig. The nobles, being wired iems, are going to have a lot more variables in the chain (cabling, and more importantly player source). You'd be better off comparing the fokus to these than the k10e.

All that said, out of a sony nw-wm1am2: the aviots are bassier, but I don't need to tell you that. There's a lot more bass impact from the dynamic drivers, but it's surprisingly well-defined given the planar inclusion. I find cymbals a little  too crisp. Treble in general isn't sibilant, and I'm no graph guy, but there are spikes there I can hear. Tips might help with them, but they're there, and how much that bothers you is going to be subjective.

I like them a lot, but my biggest complaint is size. They've taken a page from Empire Ears playbook here: the te-zx1 are frigging massive. If you don't believe me, have a look for yourself. I think visually they're great, and the cherry metallic red is beautiful in-person, but svelte these are not:
20240403_085157.jpg20240403_085200.jpg
Holy !@#!@# they are massive! I can't wait to try them! I'm hooking up the Encores to iFi go Pod and the Shure later today, for the 1st time. MAYBE, get closer to a cabled IEM? And then is it worth it over TWS? Thanks again for the effort. AVIOT should pay you a commission on sales...I'll bet some coin got dropped based on your posts.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #61,533 of 62,437
Holy !@#!@# they are massive! I can't wait to try them! I'm hooking up the Encores to iFi go Pod and the Shure later today, for the 1st time. MAYBE, get closer to a cabled IEM? And then is it worth it over TWS? Thanks again for the effort. AVIOT should pay you a commission on sales...I'll bet some coin got dropped based on your posts.
Hey, if you know someone, have them drop me a line (seriously, I could use the money with the upcoming mortgage).

I like the sound, but I'm noticing that upper sibilance particularly on male vocals on rap tracks. They're a more fun tuning that even some of the higher end basshead iems I've heard, but I do wonder if leaving the planar out and sticking to a more traditional dd/ba setup wouldn't have helped with that bit of sibilance and helped trim down the size profile. At this size I wish they had earhooks, since without the comply tips they come right out of my ears, and even then, I'm finding myself adjusting the left one every so often. I know some of the older Bluetooth headsets used to have optional rubber hooks that would help notch into the folds of the ear, and I'm half-tempted to try to DIY something, although I'd have to remove it every time I put them back in the charging case. I think at kickstarter pricing they're outperforming a lot of comparable options, but at full retail that'd be a harder call for me to make. I mostly got them for the anime aesthetic, but again, there's a lot of similar, smaller tws sets with anime voicing/decos that go for closer to 100 usd msrp.
I rarely (if ever) listen to music on my smartphone, so for me these mostly tick a lot of the boxes for video streaming on the go, and they'll certainly do the job with the odd switch game now and then. I don't think they're there yet in terms of fidelity matching with wired earphones, but for a more casual listen, they're very good. They'll certainly satisfy your average public transit commute basshead.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #61,534 of 62,437
LC3 sounds more boomy and less dynamic than LDAC.

Screenshot-20240403-234937-Headphones.jpg

Screenshot-20240403-235640-Headphones.jpg

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #61,535 of 62,437
Hey, if you know someone, have them drop me a line (seriously, I could use the money with the upcoming mortgage).

I like the sound, but I'm noticing that upper sibilance particularly on male vocals on rap tracks. They're a more fun tuning that even some of the higher end basshead iems I've heard, but I do wonder if leaving the planar out and sticking to a more traditional dd/ba setup wouldn't have helped with that bit of sibilance and helped trim down the size profile. At this size I wish they had earhooks, since without the comply tips they come right out of my ears, and even then, I'm finding myself adjusting the left one every so often. I know some of the older Bluetooth headsets used to have optional rubber hooks that would help notch into the folds of the ear, and I'm half-tempted to try to DIY something, although I'd have to remove it every time I put them back in the charging case. I think at kickstarter pricing they're outperforming a lot of comparable options, but at full retail that'd be a harder call for me to make. I mostly got them for the anime aesthetic, but again, there's a lot of similar, smaller tws sets with anime voicing/decos that go for closer to 100 usd msrp.
I rarely (if ever) listen to music on my smartphone, so for me these mostly tick a lot of the boxes for video streaming on the go, and they'll certainly do the job with the odd switch game now and then. I don't think they're there yet in terms of fidelity matching with wired earphones, but for a more casual listen, they're very good. They'll certainly satisfy your average public transit commute basshead.

How well do they take EQ? Sibilance sounds like a deal breaker and if they have a harsh treble that can't be EQ'd better I'm probably going to have to sell my pair. They're still in transit.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #61,536 of 62,437
How well do they take EQ? Sibilance sounds like a deal breaker and if they have a harsh treble that can't be EQ'd better I'm probably going to have to sell my pair. They're still in transit.
It isn't an expressly harsh treble. Treble extension is fine, although if anything it's a little too rolled off for my tastes (I'm comparing it with flagship wired IEMs, mind you, and the fir radon 6 at that, so it's not at all a fair comparison). It's the peaks. As in, it isn't always sibilant, but sometimes, track dependent, it is.
Feel free to come to your own conclusions on this. But for example, this track sounds good (and even fun):

This one has issues when the other vocalist comes on about a minute in:

My guess is it's a frequency thing between the male and female vocals, but that's entirely conjecture on my part. I have similar issues with my raptgo hook x, so it's been a commonality for me with planar iems (especially more budget-friendly ones). But without the planar driver you've got noticeably less bass texture, so it's a trade-off.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #61,537 of 62,437
I felt the sibilance in a few tracks and was able to EQ it out. They have a 10 band EQ in the Sound Me app which works well. Slight adjustments work seemingly well. I was worried about the harshness of some songs but the EQ makes it tolerable. They are well worth it IMO.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #61,538 of 62,437
Got my ZX1s. First impression is that they might be the best sounding TWS I've heard. Maybe not by huge margin if so, but damn if they don't sound really good after a bit of EQ.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #61,539 of 62,437
Counterpoint to the previous post with pics with people responding that they look absolutely massive, I mean... They are big, but in my ears I think they look reasonably sized for what they contain in terms of drivers etc:
DISCLAIMER/WARNING: Don't zoom in on my hairy ears - may cause nightmares of being chased by Sasquatch.

1000002838.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #61,542 of 62,437
Hmm, I am thinking of trying the OnePlus Buds 3.

I want to try something new but nothing has really jumped out or seem to have hiccups. These seem solid and if they truly compete in sound quality to the more expensive competition they might be a nice fun affordable daliance. They are less than half the cost of the JLab Epic Lab, Cambridge Melomania M100, or Between 3ANC.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #61,543 of 62,437
Got my ZX1s. First impression is that they might be the best sounding TWS I've heard. Maybe not by huge margin if so, but damn if they don't sound really good after a bit of EQ.
Mind me asking how are these compared to the Aviot TE-Z1PNK and the Nura Pro / Denon Perl Pro?

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #61,544 of 62,437
Not those. The ZX1 PNK. I do have the Z1 too. The ZX1 are really clean and balanced sounding, very good instrument separation and great soundstage. Can blast it at max volume without it overwhelming my ears. Doesn't exhibit that harsh treble that some TWS with LDAC get. Connection is very stable indoors even at max LDAC settingsP_20240402_193546.jpg
What are the significant differences between the Z1PNK and ZX1PNK? I've only heard virtual listening sounds comparing these two and thought that the Z1PNK seems to be warmer with more impactful bass compared to the ZX1PNK. Do you find that to be the case?

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #61,545 of 62,437
What are the significant differences between the Z1PNK and ZX1PNK? I've only heard virtual listening sounds comparing these two and thought that the Z1PNK seems to be warmer with more impactful bass compared to the ZX1PNK. Do you find that to be the case?
Seems to be the case. Pulled out the Z1PNK. The sounded not as bright when comparing to the ZX1PNK. Like you said more warmer. The bass also seems to be almost punchy compared to the ZX1 textured bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back