Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #61,412 of 62,440
Was my typo. Meant B&W.
Sorry, saw that from the later replies - was a couple of days behind reading this thread and replied (too) spontaneously:smile_phones: (But the EX do sound great....)

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #61,413 of 62,440
I'd really like to try both the DPP and MTW and it looks like I might have to.

Second day with the M100s hasn't been a complete success. Still love the sound but connected to a Xiaomi 14 Ultra I'm getting fairly frequent drops where it sounds like it's going to a very low bitrate (and the sound narrows) and then about 20 seconds later it springs back to normal. On a 30 minute walk it happened about 6 times. I don't really want something this unstable tbh.

How do the MTW and DPP compare sound wise to the M100?
I prefer both the MTW and DPP for different reasons
The DPP's pack the biggest punch on just bass and full sound. The mtw's are more airy sounding for me

I'm using Xiaomi 14 Ultra and yes -- it's the aptx adaptive downgrading the signal when it's struggling (i find it only does that on the outer limits of range) but then it'll switch back up to full again after about 10s of good signal

Given the mtw3's are only 10 quid more than M100's and currently the DPP's are under 200 -- they're a better choice at the moment.

If by any remote chance you live near nottingham you're welcome to have a listen

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #61,414 of 62,440
I would welcome another pair of earbuds that are not bass'd up but more neutral, that is what EQ is for.
Have you tried Svanar? They’ve been my favourite tuning so far. If only the box and ergonomics were easier.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #61,416 of 62,440
Nope, not really into boutique brand esp. overpriced, tried a set of Nobles once but were not very good.
Your call. The Hifiman LE wireless whilst it lacks a few things (eg. LDAC, wireless case charging) is on sale. And I wouldn’t say $199 overpriced.

edit: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/svanar-wireless-le.html

They’re not perfect. Have their quirks. But having done a comparison lately, they’re worth a listen before judging if a less coloured tuning was what you’re after.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #61,418 of 62,440
Hello all, I've recently got the BGVP Q3 during a sale earlier this month. I'm mostly a wired IEM sort of guy nowadays but their 2 in 1 functionality enticed me enough to give them a go.

Think I might do a longer write up/review soon, but to put it shortly they seem like a nice option if you like the idea of having a 2 in 1 TWS/wired IEM setup provided you don't need ANC.

They overall sound good with a mild V-shape to their tuning. They have the full suite of controls (volume, previous/next track, play/pause), work with aptx adaptive/snapdragon sound on my android phone, have ambient sound and gaming modes and multipoint support. I've had no connection issues which I heard was a problem with some of BGVP's earlier Q series of models. Case is overall nice with a full metal build, although there's no wireless charging support.

Battery life seems good on them as well and having the option to use them wired passively should give them a longer shelf life than a usual TWS setup. My only real concern is that they do use MMCX which seems to break down quicker than 2-pin. They also don't come with a MMCX cable in the box which I think is a little stingy.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #61,419 of 62,440
I prefer both the MTW and DPP for different reasons
The DPP's pack the biggest punch on just bass and full sound. The mtw's are more airy sounding for me

I'm using Xiaomi 14 Ultra and yes -- it's the aptx adaptive downgrading the signal when it's struggling (i find it only does that on the outer limits of range) but then it'll switch back up to full again after about 10s of good signal

Given the mtw3's are only 10 quid more than M100's and currently the DPP's are under 200 -- they're a better choice at the moment.

If by any remote chance you live near nottingham you're welcome to have a listen
Thanks. I'm in Cornwall though - I'm not that committed to audio 😛

I'm getting the audio quality drop when my phone is just a foot or two from the M100s sometimes which is a tad annoying. Love them otherwise.

Might still try the MTW3 though - they seem to have the sound sig I prefer. From a couple of audio comparisons I've hear I think they sound more for me than DPP sound you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #61,420 of 62,440
Sadly going to have to return the M100s. They just drop off audio wise too frequently to make them tolerable.

I think they sound fantastic but when they drop to a lower bitrate so many times (with phone in coat pocket when walking or even when walking 10 feet away from phone at home) it renders them useless for me. A real shame.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #61,423 of 62,440
Well this is my early take on the Melomania-100
First the good stuff.

Sound, they sound just perfect for me. I do not use any EQ at all,and it is balanced sounding with open mids and airy treble with a slight bass lift(in flat preset).
Compared to my Technics eah-az60 they has more extended treble and sounds more airy. Mids is more open sounding and the bass is more natural sounding compared to the Technics.
Compared to my Noble Fokus Pro. If i compare them both OOTB i like the M-100s tuning more. Fokus Pro OOTB is bass heavy with a bit to much bloat in the bass and sounds a bit congested .But with a bit of eq they come alive, and sound much more tight in the bass and opens upp just great in the mids and treble.
So compare M-100 with an EQed Fokus Pro, the Focus is a bit more spacious sounding,has a bit more distinct bass hit and digs out a bit more detail compared to the M-100.
But the difference to me is not huge between the two,and once i start to play around with the EQ in the M-100 the difference between the two might be even closer.

So for me the M-100 is a step up from the Technics, and unEQed a step down soundwise from Fokus Pro. So i think they perform just great for the money.

Fit, For my ear they fit really good,but only after changing from stock silicone tips to Spiral dot tips. I am between sizes so the medium tip felt a bit loose and the Large tip was a bit to big making the tip collapse in the ears and brake the seal. So Spiral dot did the trick. they sit somewhat shallow in the ear canal,much like the Technics.The Fokus Pro compared sits much deeper. But i never feel the M-100 is about to fall out,so fit is just great for me.

From here it is a bit downhill,

Noise Cancelling is OK not good not bad. Bass frequencies is taken care of really nice, mids and voices not som much. I can clearly hear my better half when she is on the phone talking.
I'm gonna compare The M-100 to my very cheap (55Euro) Earfun Free Pro 3. When the Earfun was released a couple months ago the Anc was not very effective, but a couple of FWs later they manage to squeeze out every last drop of Anc out of them,and now performs just awsome for a cheap set of TWS.
The Earfun has about the same level of Anc in the bass as the M-100, but is actually better than the M-100 at supressing mids and highs. So hopefully Cambridge can tweek the Anc with future FWs...

BT connection,
I am very suprised that the BT connection is so shaky. Again compared to the cheap Earfun that also has aptX adaptive and BT 5.3.
With the Earfun i can place my Phone (Oneplus 12) in one room and walk around the house several rooms away without a single hiccup.
With the M-100, one room away, they suddenly degrade the quality in sound, and sounds less spacious and almost monotonic in quality. I guess that's the "adaptive" part that kicks in. Even with my phone in my front pocket outside this happens. This is NOT ok 2024, maybe like 5 years ago, not anymore.
Again,this might be fixable with FW. the Earfun has the same aptX adaptive and BT 5.3 and works flawless, so hopefully it can be fixed....

Battery life,
I have not used them long enough to confirm the specs,but they are most likely up there at the top regarding battery life. Good enough for me at least.

Transparency and phonecalls,
I have not tried any of them enough to be a good judge. Other owners can probably give better answers than me.

touch controls,
Works pretty good,not the fastest not the slowest. But could probably be fine-tuned for snappier commands.
Sadly you can't reassign the controls only turn the commands on or off

Wear detection,
As of now you have to take both buds out for it to work. I hope they fix this so you only need to take one bud out for it to pause the music.

That's it for now.
Will i keep them?
Hmm i REALLY like how they sound,and the fit is great for me.
I will keep them for now as i have 30 days for return.
I do belive most of the niggles can be fixed with Firmwares.
The most annoying thing is the BT range and it's not acceptable at any price point to be this bad!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #61,424 of 62,440
Yea. Posted a bit hastily. I really enjoy the sound of these - so much so I'm going to stick with them and hope something improves. Maybe try a different phone in the meantime also?
I'd not been out walking with my DPP's since i moved over to the Xiaomi. I did have an adaptive drop 1 time on the walk. Now this is the first time i've used AptX adaptive "on the move" --- so it's likely more like LDAC in that regard that these new high demand codec's are pushing the limits and are more susceptible to bandwidth fluctuations

I never had any issues with my S24U but that only used regular AptX.
The Xiaomi 14Ultra has had 3 firmware updates since it's global launch already -- they're clearly bug fixing / enhancing. Same with the M100's -- they've had a day 1 drop.
Maybe email Cambridge Audio support and Xiaomi support about it.

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #61,425 of 62,440
BT connection,
I am very suprised that the BT connection is so shaky. Again compared to the cheap Earfun that also has aptX adaptive and BT 5.3.
With the Earfun i can place my Phone (Oneplus 12) in one room and walk around the house several rooms away without a single hiccup.
With the M-100, one room away, they suddenly degrade the quality in sound, and sounds less spacious and almost monotonic in quality. I guess that's the "adaptive" part that kicks in. Even with my phone in my front pocket outside this happens. This is NOT ok 2024, maybe like 5 years ago, not anymore.
Again,this might be fixable with FW. the Earfun has the same aptX adaptive and BT 5.3 and works flawless, so hopefully it can be fixed....
I just tested the M100 vs Earfun Free Pro3 on bluetooth "adaptive" stability.
The Earfun FP3 take the M100's and just laugh at them.
I left my phone on my study desk and with the M100's i can get to the kitchen (1 brick wall and 1 stud wall) between the 2 rooms and maybe a 3m straight line through them. The M100's are downgrading right at the nearest point in the kitchen to the study.

With the Earfun FP3's I can go stand on the outside step of the patio door in the kitchen (kitchen is 3m long) and they're still in high-mode. Only when i get about another 50cm past that do the drop-down into low mode and then another 50cm they drop out completely.
With the MTW3's i can get about 1/2 way down the kitchen before they drop.

So with the 3 tested:
M100's about 3m distance through walls
MTW3's about 4-5m distance through same walls
FP3's about 6-7m distance through same walls.
The FP3's sound great for the money but the ANC is by a good way the weakest though. Very little high-end is filtered. When i'm typing on my mechanical keyboard i can hear it pretty clearly on lower volumes where the other 2 do at least subdue the highest frequencies a bit.

The FP3's live up to their branding -- Earfun -- they're maybe not the most refined but for an everyday walkabout set they're incredibly fun to listen to with a great V sound. The sound just feels big and energetic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back