Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #61,232 of 62,264
And a result, you are missing out on some nice headphones but to each their own.
agreed 100%

the bigger limiting factor for TWS sound quality is the gear, not the codecs at this point, as long as something like AptX or LDAC is installed. I listen to 330kbps music on the go with stuff like the Go Blu or HB1 on my Volur and it's mind blowing SQ; in my case with AptX or AptX HD. I go back and forth with Tidal hi-fi and Spotify, the Spotify stuff is absolutely ridiculously good sounding as well. Imagine not even trying that because you can only use near lossless codecs. It's silly.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #61,233 of 62,264
I'm waiting on Apple to buy out an audio manufacturer other than DRE Beats ...

So that they can implement their Apple wireless chips +/- add on HD lossless support in something other than an AirPod/Apple/Beats product. If the Noble Audio Prestige or Svanar had the seamless convenient switching, multi-point connection, location services etc... There's no doubt Apple has human ergonomic experts in their design department.

That and an IP rating for the gym and I'd be in TWS heaven.

Yes, I know I could just buy Android. But I sold my soul to Apple's ecosystem.
I'm with you. I do switch to Android from time to time but the novelty usually wears off and I go back to Apple. If history is an indicator, Apple will eventually address this issue but I doubt it's high on their priority list. I could see them rolling this out with the Airpods Max 2. It will be interesting to see if they go with a Bluetooth or wifi solution. The upcoming Sonos headphones allegedly will do lossless over wifi so that's something to watch too. Wifi would work fine for me and I'd take that solution from apple. The next step will be to see if the manufactures (particularly the smaller independents) bother licensing Apple's solution. I suspect the uptake will be small and therefore we will be left with only the big boys bothering to pay up. Most likely, for the foreseeable future, the Codec game is going to belong to Android.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #61,235 of 62,264
And a result, you are missing out on some nice headphones but to each their own.
Maybe I am but still get the other nice ones that check off my list too.
agreed 100%

the bigger limiting factor for TWS sound quality is the gear, not the codecs at this point, as long as something like AptX or LDAC is installed. I listen to 330kbps music on the go with stuff like the Go Blu or HB1 on my Volur and it's mind blowing SQ; in my case with AptX or AptX HD. I go back and forth with Tidal hi-fi and Spotify, the Spotify stuff is absolutely ridiculously good sounding as well. Imagine not even trying that because you can only use near lossless codecs. It's silly.
Plus with Tidal, I want to squeeze out as much as I can out of those higher bitrate songs through TWS.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #61,236 of 62,264
So someone here (who shall remain nameless) convinced me to give TWS adapters a try since my Triumph will be delayed. My budget was $500. Went with the Shure adpaters plus a Blessing 3. The results are quite impressive. I am using AAC over iPhone and am pretty floored. Having had some time to let them sink in, I would say for pure SQ, they beat just about every TWS I have heard to date with the exception perhaps of the Prestige which unfortunately don't fit me. I feel like I may be going down a rabbit hole now ...

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #61,237 of 62,264
So someone here (who shall remain nameless) convinced me to give TWS adapters a try since my Triumph will be delayed. My budget was $500. Went with the Shure adpaters plus a Blessing 3. The results are quite impressive. I am using AAC over iPhone and am pretty floored. Having had some time to let them sink in, I would say for pure SQ, they beat just about every TWS I have heard to date with the exception perhaps of the Prestige which unfortunately don't fit me. I feel like I may be going down a rabbit hole now ...
I can't imagine who that is, but welcome to the party!

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #61,238 of 62,264

I love the Shure TW2. Try the transparency mode, it's the best implementation I've heard out of all the TWS I've tried. Phone calls, only good in a quiet space. But the transparency mode is really good. I use the TW2 with the Bonneville as one of my on the go options. I'm going to try some Dunu buds since they use MMCX as well to see if I may sell the Bonneville for a Dunu set to live on the TW2. If the TW2 could do 2pin also without an adapter, I'd be in heaven.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #61,239 of 62,264
I love the Shure TW2. Try the transparency mode, it's the best implementation I've heard out of all the TWS I've tried. Phone calls, only good in a quiet space. But the transparency mode is really good. I use the TW2 with the Bonneville as one of my on the go options. I'm going to try some Dunu buds since they use MMCX as well to see if I may sell the Bonneville for a Dunu set to live on the TW2. If the TW2 could do 2pin also without an adapter, I'd be in heaven.
Only reason I'm not using TW2 with my wired IEMs is the bloody need for MMCX to 2pin adapter. Pretty terrified using some 3rd party adapters that could break and leave pin inside the IEM's connector..

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #61,240 of 62,264
I'm with you. I do switch to Android from time to time but the novelty usually wears off and I go back to Apple. If history is an indicator, Apple will eventually address this issue but I doubt it's high on their priority list. I could see them rolling this out with the Airpods Max 2. It will be interesting to see if they go with a Bluetooth or wifi solution. The upcoming Sonos headphones allegedly will do lossless over wifi so that's something to watch too. Wifi would work fine for me and I'd take that solution from apple. The next step will be to see if the manufactures (particularly the smaller independents) bother licensing Apple's solution. I suspect the uptake will be small and therefore we will be left with only the big boys bothering to pay up. Most likely, for the foreseeable future, the Codec game is going to belong to Android.
Which would be entirely on Apple themselves with their ridiculous gatekeeping behaviour.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #61,241 of 62,264
So someone here (who shall remain nameless) convinced me to give TWS adapters a try since my Triumph will be delayed. My budget was $500. Went with the Shure adpaters plus a Blessing 3. The results are quite impressive. I am using AAC over iPhone and am pretty floored. Having had some time to let them sink in, I would say for pure SQ, *** they beat just about every TWS I have heard to date with the exception perhaps of the Prestige which unfortunately don't fit me. I feel like I may be going down a rabbit hole now ...
I can't imagine who that is, but welcome to the party!
Oh boy rabbit hole here I come!

Is the sound as good or better using a BT adapter with a good wired iem vs using TOTL TWS ear buds like MTW4s or Savanars?

After rereading you already answered. ***

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #61,243 of 62,264
Have been enjoying the Freeclips for 2 months and for me sound and comfort strike the right balance. The ergonomics are much better IMO vs the Bose equivalent
Yeh, im hoping FreeClip 2 can gives better lows. I believe it is possible but will sacrifice the current excellent battery performance.

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #61,244 of 62,264
I'm glad someone here brought up stuff like the TW2! That's what makes these forums great again!

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #61,245 of 62,264
There really isn't a fix, just put the wrong build aside, move forward, Address those at a latter time.
So for all of us, present company included, who have pre-ordered these, are we looking at possibly getting one of the wrong builds or are we a month or two away from getting the new builds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back