Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #61,051 of 62,980
OnePlus Buds 3

Had to get a new TWS for my work, list getting long of owned buds over the years. Sound is often good on most buds, the problem is always microphones being bad from the start or getting worse over time. And that list is with Sony, AKG, Bose, Jabra, etc. The one who has had the best clean microphone was Huawei Freebuds Pro 2, but that also said goodbye now after daily use for 1.5 years.

Wanted to try something else this time, OnePlus Buds 3. And I'm super impressed by both the sound quality for music, and the exceptionally clean microphone. Talk a lot on the phone at construction sites and I have a darker pitched voice, this is so clean and full sounding that a few have mentioned it asking if I'm home from work since it's so silent and clean.

And I really don't have anything to complain about the sound of them playing music, EQed it to my taste and it is quite impressive and can rival much more expensive buds in technicalities and how natural and rich the timbre is.

This is not a review unit or anything like that, just a purchase I did for myself. Paid $100 here in Norway with 2 year warranty, would call that a really good deal.

I have them since one month, i think the SQ is a bit better than my Bose QC II ultra. The microphone is far better, close to Aipods pro 2, but the active sound reduction is quite zero for me . Their are my choice when i'm not in a plane or a train, but the QC ultra stay in my other pocket for noisy places.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #61,053 of 62,980
Tell me more - these are on ebay refurbished for $125.00. Worth it? Wind mode is solid?
Wind mode is pretty solid but I agree with all @dweaver said, except I thought after the new firmware it was enabled full-time with ANC. Aside from wind mode, I really appreciate the flat button controls on the bike. I've also noticed that spatial mode sounds better since the last firmware and now it's pretty much always on for me. For $125 they are a solid buy.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #61,055 of 62,980
@Leonarfd & @Velectris

Did you guys do your research on the other options before purchasing?

I find it hard to remember if it's the Huawei Freebuds or Oneplus (or both) that use the dual driver dynamic & planar system?

And then there is the pro version for the brands as well.

I know the Enco X2 does and have been looking at that for a while just to make it easy. Thought you might have the answers.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #61,056 of 62,980
@Leonarfd & @Velectris

I find it hard to remember if it's the Huawei Freebuds or Oneplus (or both) that use the dual driver dynamic & planar system?

I know the Enco X2 does and have been looking at that for a while just to make it easy. Thought you might have the answers.
Tbh I just watched a YT review to check the microphone quality, sounded awesome so I ordered. Sound was not first priority for me this time, but as a bonus it sounds great.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #61,057 of 62,980
I have them since one month, i think the SQ is a bit better than my Bose QC II ultra. The microphone is far better, close to Aipods pro 2, but the active sound reduction is quite zero for me . Their are my choice when i'm not in a plane or a train, but the QC ultra stay in my other pocket for noisy places.
Perhaps the seal is not perfect? My Sony XM4 lost all noise cancelling one day, was about to send them to service, but it turned out to be only the tips. The foam ones were gone. The moment I changed them, ANC was back.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #61,058 of 62,980
Any sources on whether Apple may/will eventually adopt a more useful bluetooth audio codec? Without having use a dongle, I'd only just recently realised there wasn't much point over investing on a Bluetooth solution if my iPhone 15 Pro isn't going to transmit the best sound to the TWS.

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #61,059 of 62,980
@Leonarfd & @Velectris

It's definitely the Huawei Freebuds and Enco X2.
The OnePlus Buds 3 (not sure about the 2 Pro etc) uses dual dynamic drivers, so no planar there.

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #61,060 of 62,980
Perhaps the seal is not perfect? My Sony XM4 lost all noise cancelling one day, was about to send them to service, but it turned out to be only the tips. The foam ones were gone. The moment I changed them, ANC was back.
I don't think there is a seal trouble, as the test in the application is ok. ANC is under average for me, compared to AIrpods pro 2 or Bose QC Ultra (Bose is the better)
@SynaestheticA I think they beat Oppo X2 in terms of SQ and microphone, and the Huawei freebuds pro 3 is more than 2X more expensive. Huawei sq is similar, but signature is different, ANC is better and microphone comparable. You should try Oneplus Buds 3 for their SQ and sound stage / imaging, they are an hidden gem for 75 USD.

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #61,061 of 62,980
Hi, I just want to check if I'm thinking correctly. I connected my DAP in USB DAC mode to my phone and then my TWS to the DAP. I can hear the gain throughout the spectrum (mostly mid and high though) and the soundstage seems wider and higher. So it means I'm actually driving Bluetooth earphones in the end? Is the DAC from DAP overlapping with the inner DAC of the TWS?

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #61,062 of 62,980
Any sources on whether Apple may/will eventually adopt a more useful bluetooth audio codec? Without having use a dongle, I'd only just recently realised there wasn't much point over investing on a Bluetooth solution if my iPhone 15 Pro isn't going to transmit the best sound to the TWS.

Take in to account Apple has a special Bluetooth chip called the W1 which allows compatible apple devices to have much higher quality then standard AAC.

Apple just cares that its accessories work well with their devices, for the rest of it they couldnt give a damn.

So expect your iphone to only work well and have high quality audio with your apple earpods/pro/max.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #61,063 of 62,980
Take in to account Apple has a special Bluetooth chip called the W1 which allows compatible apple devices to have much higher quality then standard AAC.

Apple just cares that its accessories work well with their devices, for the rest of it they couldnt give a damn.

So expect your iphone to only work well and have high quality audio with your apple earpods/pro/max.
I don’t think the W1 chip offers any sound quality improvements. My understanding of the W1 is that it does other things. Do you have a cite for that? It is true that apples implementation of AAC is considered to be very good but it’s definitely not lossless. To answer OPs question, there have been some rumors going around that Apple will eventually upgrade AAC to a lossless format either via WiFi of Bluetooth but my guess is Apple doesn’t view this as a priority. We are in the 1 percent minority who care and Apple doesn’t cater to us. The masses think AAC is just fine. It’s a sore spot for sure.

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #61,065 of 62,980
Apple's main goal is to keep people in the Apple ecosystem. Giving support to codecs that would make non-apple devices look good goes against their total walled garden lock users into their system at all costs approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back