Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 17, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #61,021 of 62,422
Looking for a recommendation I think I know my options but I wanted to get a second opinion in case I’m missing anything.

Looking for a new tws, I’ve owned most of the big ones already but now looking to settle.
I’m not absolutely fussed on the strongest ANC, I’m looking for a set that visually aren’t massive, ideally have a good profile in the ear like AirPods Pro or Bose earbuds ultra.
I care a lot about a punchy dynamic sound with no sibilance as I’m a bit sensitive to treble, or at least an EQ to fix it. I loved the sound of the B&O EX, but they hurt my ears after an hour.

Currently leaning towards the Bose Ultra, I use an iPhone. I do like the new AirPods but found their sound a bit basic and I would have preferred the option to EQ.
Only thing about the Bose Ultra is I’m aware their connection is a bit iffy, at least the first time I owned them it was, however Bose warranty is excellent and they’ll replace nearly anything.

Any other options I should look at?
Thanks in advance.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #61,022 of 62,422
Looking for a recommendation I think I know my options but I wanted to get a second opinion in case I’m missing anything.

Looking for a new tws, I’ve owned most of the big ones already but now looking to settle.
I’m not absolutely fussed on the strongest ANC, I’m looking for a set that visually aren’t massive, ideally have a good profile in the ear like AirPods Pro or Bose earbuds ultra.
I care a lot about a punchy dynamic sound with no sibilance as I’m a bit sensitive to treble, or at least an EQ to fix it. I loved the sound of the B&O EX, but they hurt my ears after an hour.

Currently leaning towards the Bose Ultra, I use an iPhone. I do like the new AirPods but found their sound a bit basic and I would have preferred the option to EQ.
Only thing about the Bose Ultra is I’m aware their connection is a bit iffy, at least the first time I owned them it was, however Bose warranty is excellent and they’ll replace nearly anything.

Thanks in advance.
Gemini 2

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #61,023 of 62,422
Yes so I picked up a pair of these albeit 2nd hand. I thought they sounded great but whenever I used them on the bus, the ANC made a loud pop. Not sure if they were defective or not but luckily the seller accepted them as a return.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #61,024 of 62,422
Yes so I picked up a pair of these albeit 2nd hand. I thought they sounded great but whenever I used them on the bus, the ANC made a loud pop. Not sure if they were defective or not but luckily the seller accepted them as a return.
The Bose are solid. The Denon are out since you want a low profile. Even though I have headphones that sound better, I regularly use the Bose because they are very convenient save for some connections gremlins.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #61,025 of 62,422

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried/heard the Sony XM5s (lower profile) or the Technics AZ80s?

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #61,026 of 62,422
The Bose are solid. The Denon are out since you want a low profile. Even though I have headphones that sound better, I regularly use the Bose because they are very convenient save for some connections gremlins.
So I heard that they were about to release a new firmware that enables snapdragon sound and fixes connection issues. But then they pulled it again, good to know it’s at least on the horizon. If they didn’t have those they would be perfect for me. There is confidence knowing that their warranty is honoured without receipt in the UK based on manufacture date. And they just give you a sealed unit every time, just takes a few weeks as it goes abroad. But yes I think that’s definitely on my shortlist as a top 3, have been thinking about the XM5 also, what’s your thoughts on those?

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #61,027 of 62,422
Have you tried/heard the Sony XM5s (lower profile) or the Technics AZ80s?
The Sony are on my shortlist, however I cannot abide from tips on TWS. The spin fit tips with the silicone mesh are available I know, however last time I tried them I think I got a size too big as they were so intensely sealed in my ears I could hear every vibration when I was walking. You recommend I give them another go?

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #61,028 of 62,422
The Sony are on my shortlist, however I cannot abide from tips on TWS. The spin fit tips with the silicone mesh are available I know, however last time I tried them I think I got a size too big as they were so intensely sealed in my ears I could hear every vibration when I was walking. You recommend I give them another go?
The AZ80 is a solid choice. Forgot about them.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #61,029 of 62,422
I use the Final TWS tips on mine and am pleased with the outcome (fit/sound). I prefer the AZ80s personally as they have a fuller sound to them, but do enjoy both. The AZ80s of course are larger than the Sony's, but still very comfortable to me.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #61,030 of 62,422
So I heard that they were about to release a new firmware that enables snapdragon sound and fixes connection issues. But then they pulled it again, good to know it’s at least on the horizon. If they didn’t have those they would be perfect for me. There is confidence knowing that their warranty is honoured without receipt in the UK based on manufacture date. And they just give you a sealed unit every time, just takes a few weeks as it goes abroad. But yes I think that’s definitely on my shortlist as a top 3, have been thinking about the XM5 also, what’s your thoughts on those?
I’ve determined I don’t like Sonys so called house (ie dark) sound. So I don’t buy them anymore.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #61,031 of 62,422
lol. The reasons - like most - are simply money. No ethics involved. It’s annoying for sure but absent government intervention, capitalism wins.
I mean I understand all those variables and institutions. But when it comes to one of the major ways we communicate here in the US and is fundamental to how we communicate, I think that's a bit of an abuse of your market power to hold that hostage. If it was some other lesser used feature fine but not to hold messaging hostage and make it a class thing with a bubble color. Which literally some kids get bullied for.

In fact the other year an NBA player got bullied to get an Android phone because he was messing up the group chats. When this kind of abusive market power starts to affect the way we do business and all the such things I think that's a step too far.

I just find that very unethical and I'm not worried to call that out. While I'm an Android phone guy, Google also does many terrible practices leveraging their market power. Just not with the phone so much. But with search for example.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #61,032 of 62,422

Thanks in advance.
If you're not terribly concerned about good phone call quality that I would put in the mtw4. I definitely think they would sound better than anything Bose.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #61,033 of 62,422
I use the Final TWS tips on mine and am pleased with the outcome (fit/sound). I prefer the AZ80s personally as they have a fuller sound to them, but do enjoy both. The AZ80s of course are larger than the Sony's, but still very comfortable to me.
Are you not concerned about the lack of barrier between your ear and the drivers?
I don’t use them to work out and clean my ears every day but I would still worry about that.

I love final tips tho, have been my go to since my first dip into audio gear.

Mar 17, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #61,034 of 62,422
If you're not terribly concerned about good phone call quality that I would put in the mtw4. I definitely think they would sound better than anything Bose.
Yeah I was looking at those I’m just not a massive fan of the case or the earbuds profile. I have zero concerns about the sound quality though the MT3 were unreal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back