Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #60,061 of 62,322
You can never predict how you’ll turn out as you get older but I try to take care of myself. A lot of people think I perform better than average for a 36-year-old when it comes to sight and hearing so there’s that. I’m just happy to be able to enjoy all that and being able to walk for miles problem free.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #60,062 of 62,322
You can never predict how you’ll turn out as you get older but I try to take care of myself. A lot of people think I perform better than average for a 36-year-old when it comes to sight and hearing so there’s that. I’m just happy to be able to enjoy all that and being able to walk for miles problem free.
36? Just a baby. Call me in ten years.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #60,063 of 62,322
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #60,064 of 62,322
I'm not sure I understand your point. I don't think this was the question being asked.
I thought it was... Maybe it is because I am still waiting on the nurse to come give my meds before she wheels me out to the garden

A couple of pages back it was a Pixel vs DAP for better streaming quality

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #60,065 of 62,322
I thought it was... Maybe it is because I am still waiting on the nurse to come give my meds before she wheels me out to the garden

Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify, Pixel vs. DAP is part of the equation but I think we all know the DAP is going to provide the better sound quality.

I don't stream music. It's all local on my device. I suppose the real question is - how do I get the best possible sound quality from my Pixel and TWS earphones. LDAC was mentioned as being an ingredient that could help but only certain earphones have that available (Sony, Technics, etc.). Currently I'm using the Noble Mystique and was considering other Bluetooth options that support LDAC. At the end of the day, though, I'm probably fine with the Mystique and what it brings to the table. At least for now.

I realize that TWS earphones are still somewhat inferior to wired IEMs. And I have wired IEMs (Noble Kaiser) but have gotten so used to the wireless experience, at least on my commute, that I'm fine with not getting the absolute best sound ever. Listening at home is a different story and I have other components for that.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #60,066 of 62,322
lol.

Just so I understand, if the headphones are BT, there should be zero difference in sound quality whether you are using a DAP or a phone. Someone mentioned antenna strength and maybe that's a thing but if I had to guess, I'd take Google or Samsung or Apple in that department over a DAP manufacture. The comment about Tidal streaming confused me a little. If you are streaming Tidal whether on a phone or on a DAP and then connecting TWS headphones, I cannot imagine there being any difference. If you are streaming tidal and using a wired connection, then maybe there's a difference per subguy812's post but then now we are comparing wired to wireless.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #60,067 of 62,322
lol.

Just so I understand, if the headphones are BT, there should be zero difference in sound quality whether you are using a DAP or a phone. Someone mentioned antenna strength and maybe that's a thing but if I had to guess, I'd take Google or Samsung or Apple in that department over a DAP manufacture. The comment about Tidal streaming confused me a little. If you are streaming Tidal whether on a phone or on a DAP and then connecting TWS headphones, I cannot imagine there being any difference. If you are streaming tidal and using a wired connection, then maybe there's a difference per subguy812's post but then now we are comparing wired to wireless.
Oh, right. That makes sense. The TWS earphones ultimately become the main component of whatever you're hearing, regardless of the source. However, I would have to think that the better the quality is going into the TWS the better the quality coming out, no? Unless maybe I'm just simply thinking about something like bit rate.

Yeah, I only stream from Spotify or YouTube Music at home. I never do that on the go.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #60,068 of 62,322
However, I would have to think that the better the quality is going into the TWS the better the quality coming out, no? Unless maybe I'm just simply thinking about something like bit rate.
A DAP would not have better quality going in or out than a modern smartphone if the source is streaming TIDAL. Even if it was better going in, it wouldn't matter since the transmission to the TWS is the bottleneck. I think this is the kind of snake oil that leads to people spending lots of money on audio gear. So if you are streaming at the highest quality on TIDAL, I don't see any advantage to a fancy DAP. And if you are using fancy FLAC files stored on a DAP, I still don't think it matters.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #60,070 of 62,322
I stream Tidal through USB Audio Player app. Sounds better compared to the Tidal app through Bluetooth.
Yeah I don't think that answers the question. That's a different question. USB Audio Player has some features in it but that's not a DAP v. Phone thing. And does it sound "better" or just "slightly different". I'm always surprised at how many people claim to hear differences when most things are audibly transparent in any event. I know that USB Audio has some settings you can tweak over Bluetooth but I've never really understood what they do. I tried them out and couldn't tell a difference.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #60,071 of 62,322
A DAP would not have better quality going in or out than a modern smartphone if the source is streaming TIDAL. Even if it was better going in, it wouldn't matter since the transmission to the TWS is the bottleneck. I think this is the kind of snake oil that leads to people spending lots of money on audio gear. So if you are streaming at the highest quality on TIDAL, I don't see any advantage to a fancy DAP. And if you are using fancy FLAC files stored on a DAP, I still don't think it matters.
I'm not talking about streaming at all. I'm talking about local files either on my Pixel or on an SD card that's part of my DAP.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #60,072 of 62,322
lol.

Maybe I wasn't clear. When you use Tidal now, the MAX icon is greyed out when using TWS and it defaults to a lesser bitrate, whether it is on my Pixel or DAP. If wired in a DAP absolutely it is higher quality. My point is I don't think it will matter for him to buy a DAP for better quality if he is going to use TWS and I was using Tidal as my example.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #60,073 of 62,322
I'm not talking about streaming at all. I'm talking about local files either on my Pixel or on an SD card that's part of
I am sorry I misunderstood you. Did your question ever get answered?

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #60,074 of 62,322
I stream Tidal through USB Audio Player app. Sounds better compared to the Tidal app through Bluetooth.
I used to do that but haven't used it in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back