Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #60,032 of 62,320
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #60,033 of 62,320
Just got the 1More comfobuds 2 in. They're on sale on Amazon for $14.99. Old tech, I know... but I got them to see how they handle quiet (office) environment calls. the mic quality is very good -- easily comparable to the other tws I use for this specific use-case.

The two standout of the bunch (again for quiet environments) are the two on the top.

1more comfobuds2 amazon.png

oops forgot the family pic

IMG_1213.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #60,034 of 62,320
What I can have a pair here tomorrow here in NY...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
1706815005109.png

Actually the hybrid for $77 is a bit tempting. I know it needs tips and EQ most likely but it has potential. Not for smaller ears though. Need to read up on any issues. Maybe a Mackie competitor with a big dynamic, a Knowles, and 18 hours on a charge for a good price. It does seem to have wireless charging unlike the Mackie.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #60,035 of 62,320
Ah, good to know. I'll check out the latest Sonys. Thank you! Do you notice an improvement using the LDAC on your Pixel?
I do, but it's not like a major night and day difference. I stream with Tidal HiFi Plus and the Sony app gives you the option to prioritize sound quality (LDAC) or prioritize a more stable connection (AAC). When I flip between the two, LDAC sounds more clear to me.

If you want to test the Mystique on aptX Adaptive, you can always pick up a USB Bluetooth adapter that supports aptX Adaptive. Of course, you'll need a computer to plug it into and pair your Mystique with, but that should allow you to compare how it sounds with different codecs.

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-US/p/btd-600/

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #60,036 of 62,320
I do, but it's not like a major night and day difference. I stream with Tidal HiFi Plus and the Sony app gives you the option to prioritize sound quality (LDAC) or prioritize a more stable connection (AAC). When I flip between the two, LDAC sounds more clear to me.

If you want to test the Mystique on aptX Adaptive, you can always pick up a USB Bluetooth adapter that supports aptX Adaptive. Of course, you'll need a computer to plug it into and pair your Mystique with, but that should allow you to compare how it sounds with different codecs.

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-US/p/btd-600/
I suppose your source always limits you. Even with the 'best' codec, how good is the Pixel really going to sound, right? To me, the Mystiques sound great on the go. I may just deal with them as they are, considering they use AptX (not adaptive). I could also give the Technics AZ80s a try, which do support LDAC. But if I REALLY want to have top-notch sound quality on the go, I'll probably have to use a DAP. Something like the Shanling M1s is appealing because it's so small.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #60,037 of 62,320
I suppose your source always limits you. Even with the 'best' codec, how good is the Pixel really going to sound, right? To me, the Mystiques sound great on the go. I may just deal with them as they are, considering they use AptX (not adaptive). I could also give the Technics AZ80s a try, which do support LDAC. But if I REALLY want to have top-notch sound quality on the go, I'll probably have to use a DAP. Something like the Shanling M1s is appealing because it's so small.
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but for Bluetooth, I don't think sound quality would be any different when comparing your Pixel to a TOTL DAP if both sources were using the same music file, music player, and Bluetooth codec. Neither source is doing the digital-to-analog conversion. They're just transmitting the digital signal to the TWS earphones and the digital-to-analog conversion is done within the TWS earphone.

It's a different story if you want to compare a Pixel + dongle DAC to a TOTL DAP using wired earphones. The source will matter more in this scenario.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #60,038 of 62,320
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but for Bluetooth, I don't think sound quality would be any different when comparing your Pixel to a TOTL DAP if both sources were using the same music file, music player, and Bluetooth codec. Neither source is doing the digital-to-analog conversion. They're just transmitting the digital signal to the TWS earphones and the digital-to-analog conversion is done within the TWS earphone.

It's a different story if you want to compare a Pixel + dongle DAC to a TOTL DAP using wired earphones. The source will matter more in this scenario.
Makes sense. And if that's the case then whether I use a DAP or my Pixel it actually doesn't matter since the Bluetooth is the actual 'thing' that matters most in the chain of hardware components. So if I'm sticking with TWS earphones then it's just a matter of which earphones I'm using. I think the Mystiques are still a good option at this point. I doubt I would hear much difference between aptx and LDAC.

Or I could go back to using my wired IEMs + a dongle dac, which I suppose is an option. But I doubt I'll use that option.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #60,039 of 62,320

+ powerful antennas

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #60,040 of 62,320
I was responding to his comment about Noble buds.
Oh 😅
What I can have a pair here tomorrow here in NY...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually the hybrid for $77 is a bit tempting. I know it needs tips and EQ most likely but it has potential. Not for smaller ears though. Need to read up on any issues. Maybe a Mackie competitor with a big dynamic, a Knowles, and 18 hours on a charge for a good price. It does seem to have wireless charging unlike the Mackie.
Mainly they are sold in Japan. Unless you export them at an extra cost, you don't really see any US distributers for that brand

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #60,041 of 62,320
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #60,042 of 62,320
Oh 😅

Mainly they are sold in Japan. Unless you export them at an extra cost, you don't really see any US distributers for that brand
I mean it is relatively new but the ones I screen capped are from the Aviot official store on Amazon US. They are also sold on Newegg. Early but they are spreading their wings :) They have been enough to buy without extra cost from Japan because they allow them to be shipped out...
1706825334800.png

The Aviot in my sig I bought in Feb. 2022 for about $50US or whatever 5,417yen converted to back then and that was the grand total including the DHL.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #60,043 of 62,320
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #60,044 of 62,320

Makes sense. And if that's the case then whether I use a DAP or my Pixel it actually doesn't matter since the Bluetooth is the actual 'thing' that matters most in the chain of hardware components. So if I'm sticking with TWS earphones then it's just a matter of which earphones I'm using. I think the Mystiques are still a good option at this point. I doubt I would hear much difference between aptx and LDAC.

Or I could go back to using my wired IEMs + a dongle dac, which I suppose is an option. But I doubt I'll use that option.
It's not as much about whether you are using a DAP vs. a phone but, rather, that the Pixel does not support aptX adaptive so, if you have a TWS that supports aptX adaptive, you are not necessarily maximizing the quality of the audio being transmitted because aptX adaptive has a higher bitrate vs.
regular aptX. Whether you could hear a difference or actually care while commuting in NYC is probably a different story (and depends on the specific individual user's priorities and preferences).

Some phones also support aptX adaptive (e.g. my old Oneplus phone did and my LG V60 does) so you dont need a SAP to get the best codecs. I also commute to NYC and, for everyday commuting, I am perfectly happy traveling light and leaving my V60 and MTW3s at home (they lived unused in my backpack for a while so now I just leave them at home now). My Jabra Elite 10s (with just AAC/SBF) have become my everyday TWS (paired with my Samsing Galaxy Fold 5) but that's just me. In my opinion, tuning and features are just as important as the codec and you may find the Sonys with LDAC are still not your cup of tea in terms of sound signature, even with the higher bitrate codec. Won't know until you try I guess but that's part what makes this hobby fun (at least to me).

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #60,045 of 62,320
Do we think this is legit? Or a typo? And these are the 2s? Edit - nevermind. Lost track of series.
Woot is legit, owned by Amazon. They'll ship Prime and new. Probably a ton of overstock and the new ones coming out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back