Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #58,981 of 62,214
Placed the order for the Mackie MP-20TWS. For $115 after shipping that's pretty reasonable.

Ceon and Gamesky are the only youtube reviewers who seem to have tried them. Both talk about the lack of features but rave about the sound quality. Ceon thought the ANC was OK and liked the battery life
Gamesky thought the ANC was almost non existent. If they remove hums I will be satisfied. I am very curious how well the wind feature works.

I am mainly curious of they have managed to create a good sound quality through their audio expertise so will compare them to my Elite 10, MTW3, Hifiman Svarna Wireless. If they compete with any of those audio wise I consider that a win given the price I am paying.

I don't think I will see them for a couple weeks based on the sites estimate. But that's OK.

I am actually thinking after these arrive of taking a break from buying anything and might take a break from Head-fi for a while. Honestly I am to the point of thinking TWS is stagnated a bit and I am just chasing minor changes in sound experience or features at this point.

The Elite 10 has been the best sounding TWS I have owned to date (my opinion) so am really questioning the need to keep trying stuff.
You think the Elite 10 sound better than the Svanar and the MTW3?

No judgements, even if I'm a little surprised.

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #58,982 of 62,214
My SP3000 DAP has LDAC, aptX HD, aptX, AAC, SBC but no aptX Adaptive
At the moment, even the most expensive DAPs are WAY behind on BT technology.
I think it's mostly because the manufacturers are trying to save money by using older chips, so they're usually buying chips that are
a few years old, plus maybe they don't think that the demand for wireless HIFI audio is a big enough thing yet.

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #58,983 of 62,214
Dec 24, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #58,985 of 62,214
Travelled through some airport shops on my way to Sweden this weekend and stopped in to test the Bose Ultra Headphones.

Sound quality was pretty good as a standard. But when I turned my head and had the sound travel to one piece it felt like the entire room came alive with hidden speakers. The effect was pretty cool and made the music incredibly orchestral and out of head. I did a double take to make sure the store hadn't all of a sudden turned every speaker on at once.

I'd actually call it oustanding which is hard for me to do as I've always avoided Bose headphone tws.

I felt if I owned these I would only listen on one side though lol
I heard them again at Best Buy yesterday, still on sale for $379, and almost walked out with them…. It just hit me like a ton of bricks and I thought “man I need to just enjoy my recent purchase for a while first”!
I like them quite bit, and I’ll pick them up eventually…. 👍. These were the Bose over ears..

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #58,986 of 62,214
I heard them again at Best Buy yesterday, still on sale for $379, and almost walked out with them…. It just hit me like a ton of bricks and I thought “man I need to just enjoy my recent purchase for a while first”!
I like them quite bit, and I’ll pick them up eventually…. 👍. These were the Bose over ears..
Jamming to mine right now! I thought about returning mine as I paid the full price and wouldn't mine the extra 50 bucks back. Yeah that spacial audio on some tracks like Tool, Fear-inoculum is amazing!

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #58,987 of 62,214
I'll just drop these here:

1000029207.png

1000029208.png

Creative has a winner (or two) with the Aurvana Ace lineup.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #58,988 of 62,214
Bump.....John, does Noble know of any DAPs which transmits in the BT aptX Adaptive? If a DAP with this BT codec does not exist then why include it as a feature? And it's not just Noble....Bose new Ultra's do, and other earbud manufacturers as well.
HOORAY! I have been deep internet diving looking for a portable DAP with aptX Adaptive. I've written to: 4 of the big online retailers specializing in micro (my word) audio, 2 manufacturers (present company included) of noise canceling earbuds, and posted on audio websites asking for help in finding one.....at any price point!

December 20, 2023 https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Hiby%20Digital%20M300

The Hiby Digital M300 suggested retail $199.00 is the only DAP any search has turned up !!! Fingers crossed Adaptive works!
Thanks to all for commenting....I'll follow up after I try, I have one coming this Friday.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #58,990 of 62,214
Dec 24, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #58,991 of 62,214
Well now that this has become all Noble, all of the time. I am curious if anyone can compare the Devialet Gemini 2 and MW09?
MW09 have a less intrusive fit.
More sound bleed.
Smooth sound.
Feel more premium.
Needs more sub-bass (to me) but not bad, bass boost sounds muddy, I prefer the Audiophile setting or manual EQ.
Overpriced.
Wireless charging.

DG2, not sure what magic this is, but the stage and sub-bass is awesome. Better separation imo.
Smaller case.
Mostly plastic (not bad).
Smaller buds, lighter.
Better ANC.
Overpriced.
Wireless charging.

I really do like them both. I'd say if they were on sale, etc. both are nice. I'd get the DG2 over the MW09 (if you have neither). The DG2 are very fun to listen to, but the MW09 feel more premium.

The Noble Fokus Prestige just blows them both away for sound and fit me like a glove. The shell is a tab bigger than the Mystique. Kudos to the Noble gang. They are gorgeous. I've had ZERO issues. No issues with bluetooth (at home, haven't worn them outside). I do wish I could force pair them since they do not have multi-pairing. But I'll trade that for the sound, which is really why you'd buy these. The stage, separation, sub-bass is just stellar. You know how much I love those triple driver buds! So happy -- this week :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #58,992 of 62,214
You think the Elite 10 sound better than the Svanar and the MTW3?

No judgements, even if I'm a little surprised.
There is something about the sound stage and spatial qualities I just really like on the Elite 10. The Svanar come close to it in this regard but have to soft a bass response. The MTW3 sound good but lack in this area compared to the Elite 10 and Svanar.

Aside from this one area of sound the Svanar do have the most balanced sound of the 3 with most detail. But if you want more bass they can't easily be adjusted and they really do suffer to many issues using LDAC and if you switch to AAC the detail level drops closer to the Elite 10.

I have never owned a phone that could take full advantage of the MTW3 so it is possible they could be as good for detail. I also think my pair is defective at the moment as it suddenly developed major differences in sound when using ANC and had a period where it did a weird pinging thing. I have not sent it off for repair yet. But regardless of its current state I was never wowed by its Spatial prowess. But if you set aside that one area I love, it is a dynamic powerhouse.

To be clear, when I talk about spatial qualities I am not talking about the Spatial setting for the Elite 10. I actually don't like that setting. I am referring to these in stereo mode listening to the music's own spatial sound.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #58,993 of 62,214
MW09 have a less intrusive fit.
More sound bleed.
Smooth sound.
Feel more premium.
Needs more sub-bass (to me) but not bad, bass boost sounds muddy, I prefer the Audiophile setting or manual EQ.
Overpriced.
Wireless charging.

DG2, not sure what magic this is, but the stage and sub-bass is awesome. Better separation imo.
Smaller case.
Mostly plastic (not bad).
Smaller buds, lighter.
Better ANC.
Overpriced.
Wireless charging.

I really do like them both. I'd say if they were on sale, etc. both are nice. I'd get the DG2 over the MW09 (if you have neither). The DG2 are very fun to listen to, but the MW09 feel more premium.

The Noble Fokus Prestige just blows them both away for sound and fit me like a glove. The shell is a tab bigger than the Mystique. Kudos to the Noble gang. They are gorgeous. I've had ZERO issues. No issues with bluetooth (at home, haven't worn them outside). I do wish I could force pair them since they do not have multi-pairing. But I'll trade that for the sound, which is really why you'd buy these. The stage, separation, sub-bass is just stellar. You know how much I love those triple driver buds! So happy -- this week :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The shell is bigger but how about the nozzle and over all fit? My problem with the Nobles is they always seem to work themselves out of my ears.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #58,994 of 62,214
There is something about the sound stage and spatial qualities I just really like on the Elite 10. The Svanar come close to it in this regard but have to soft a bass response. The MTW3 sound good but lack in this area compared to the Elite 10 and Svanar.

Aside from this one area of sound the Svanar do have the most balanced sound of the 3 with most detail. But if you want more bass they can't easily be adjusted and they really do suffer to many issues using LDAC and if you switch to AAC the detail level drops closer to the Elite 10.

I have never owned a phone that could take full advantage of the MTW3 so it is possible they could be as good for detail. I also think my pair is defective at the moment as it suddenly developed major differences in sound when using ANC and had a period where it did a weird pinging thing. I have not sent it off for repair yet. But regardless of its current state I was never wowed by its Spatial prowess. But if you set aside that one area I love, it is a dynamic powerhouse.

To be clear, when I talk about spatial qualities I am not talking about the Spatial setting for the Elite 10. I actually don't like that setting. I am referring to these in stereo mode listening to the music's own spatial sound.
I was at Best Buy yesterday, the Elite 10’s were only $189.. 👍

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #58,995 of 62,214
When the Elite 10 start to go on sale they will be a great choice of you want something different sounding. At full retail its more of a crap shoot because not everyone will like this aspect of their sound.

As for other aspects of the TWS. They have better than average ANC but due to their semi open design they don't reach Bose/Sony levels of isolation. For those that own MTW3 I think they would be comparable. The ambient mode is not super transparent so not great for added awareness but I can turn that mode on and hear my wife enough to know to take them out and talk to her but also really enjoy my music still. I at times forget I even enable it which to me is important because even in ambient mode I want to enjoy my music.

The biggest weakness is out doors in wind. In wind, ambient works best because if the wind is strong enough it switches to a wind reduction mode that's works well as long as it detects enough wind. They need to make this mode able to detect better so it doesn't cut out so easily or just make it a mode that can be turned on off at will. Having said all this, aside from the MTW3 having a built in wind mode, these suffer like most TWS in this regard.

Battery life is the last area that bothers me a bit. Mainly because I like the audible prompts enabled which mean if I wear these to bed I get a "your battery is low" prompt early in the morning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back