Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #58,756 of 62,436
Been listening to Oppo Enco X2 with Dynaudio Simple and Clear preset for the whole day. Perfect for long term listening while sounding perfectly balanced. I can't find anything annoying about the sounding yet it is quite fun. For 115€ a steal and better tuned than the Huawei Freebuds Pro 3. Just sacrificing some ANC and Voice Quality performance.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #58,757 of 62,436
The Fidelio T2 are significantly smaller than the T1 in both case and earbuds

Attachments

• P_20231218_155816.jpg
    P_20231218_155816.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20231218_155739.jpg
    P_20231218_155739.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20231218_155658.jpg
    P_20231218_155658.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #58,758 of 62,436
I checked in with Noble on Insta several days ago. No response. Weird that they published the 12/18 date.
I checked this article quote.
"Priced at $270 USD, the Noble Audio Falcon Max TWS earbuds are scheduled to start shipping on December 18, 2023"
To me it says they are planning to ship it to authorized dealers by today

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #58,759 of 62,436
So have we still not reached the point where wireless IEM's match wired ones in technical quality?

The Airpods Pro seem to get rave reviews from audiophiles and non-audiophiles, are they still not a match for the best wired IEMs?

One advantage of wired IEM's...no battery expiration.

I shudder at the thought of spending on the Airpod pros when eventually the battery's expiring will make them non-functional.

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #58,760 of 62,436
So have we still not reached the point where wireless IEM's match wired ones in technical quality?

The Airpods Pro seem to get rave reviews from audiophiles and non-audiophiles, are they still not a match for the best wired IEMs?

I shudder at the thought of spending on the Airpod pros when eventually the battery's expiring will make them non-functional.
not to pick on you but if I had a dollar for every time someone came in here and made this argument, I’d be rich! The batteries on any tws will long outlast their useful life. They are tech items closer to cell phones than analog iems. The tech moves fast. Any TWS you buy today will be obselete within 2,3 or i suppose 4 years. Some of us move on within 6 months to the latest and greatest. The battery life argument just doesn’t hold up. In 3900 pages I’m not sure anyone has ever posted that they have a set of tws they love but unfortunately the battery stopped working. Plus batteries don’t just die. Even if a tws battery drops to 70 percent capacity they will still be useful anyway. By then I guarantee you’ll have moved on to a newer, better sounding, smaller tws. It’s ironic that you mentioned AirPods because they are one of the few TWS that actually can get the batteries replaced. For $49 Apple will fix your battery. But for $249, you’ll get the latest and greatest AirPods. I know which one I would choose ….

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #58,761 of 62,436
not to pick on you but if I had a dollar for every time someone came in here and made this argument, I’d be rich! The batteries on any tws will long outlast their useful life. They are tech items closer to cell phones than analog iems. The tech moves fast. Any TWS you buy today will be obselete within 2,3 or i suppose 4 years. Some of us move on within 6 months to the latest and greatest. The battery life argument just doesn’t hold up. In 3900 pages I’m not sure anyone has ever posted that they have a set of tws they love but unfortunately the battery stopped working. Plus batteries don’t just die. Even if a tws battery drops to 70 percent capacity they will still be useful anyway. By then I guarantee you’ll have moved on to a newer, better sounding, smaller tws.
I'm not sure I agree with that...audio is a very mature technology. Has been for decades...and Human hearing isn't evolving.

Most of the claims about breakthroughs either relate to price thresholds or..marketing.

We aren't going to magically get wired IEM's that are somehow beyond anything we've seen before.

Yes WIRELESS audio technology is evolving...but the wired ones will still be just as applicable in 5 years as they are now.

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #58,762 of 62,436
I'm not sure I agree with that...audio is a very mature technology.
You’re welcome to disagree but you’d be wrong. TWS is literally in its infancy. It’s like 9 years old. Your statement shows me that you really don’t understand how TWS has evolved and is likely to evolve. And a reference to AirPods is a poor example in support of your argument. Batteries are literally the least likely thing in a TWS to worry about.

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #58,763 of 62,436
I'm not sure I agree with that...audio is a very mature technology. Has been for decades...and Human hearing isn't evolving.

Most of the claims about breakthroughs either relate to price thresholds or..marketing.

We aren't going to magically get wired IEM's that are somehow beyond anything we've seen before.

Yes WIRELESS audio technology is evolving...but the wired ones will still be just as applicable in 5 years as they are now.
Unfortunately due to both evolving technology and lack of support for TWS repairs, TWS is a very “disposable” product. Repairs aren’t possible with TWS for the most part due to packaging and small parts (Hell you have to spend $$$ to even get an repairable wired set from a company that will actually repair your IEMs) and batteries are of the non-starter variety.

And look around, the earliest examples of TWS from 2018 are from companies that are non-existent anymore, utilize much lower quality BT connections and parts are NLA if they’re even repairable at all. On the other hand the Sony IER-Z1R is still being produced and sold to this date , and it launched in 2018. I’m not suggesting that it should be this way but the chipset is the biggest factor for a TWS getting outdated, not the drivers or batteries.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #58,764 of 62,436
Unfortunately due to both evolving technology and lack of support for TWS repairs, TWS is a very “disposable” product. Repairs aren’t possible with TWS for the most part due to packaging and small parts (Hell you have to spend $$$ to even get an repairable wired set from a company that will actually repair your IEMs) and batteries are of the non-starter variety.

And look around, the earliest examples of TWS from 2018 are from companies that are non-existent anymore, utilize much lower quality BT connections and parts are NLA if they’re even repairable at all. I’m not suggesting that it should be this way but the chipset is the biggest factor for a TWS getting outdated.
If there was a list of 50 things I’d consider in buying a tws, the risk of battery failure during their useful life would be number 75 on my list.

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #58,765 of 62,436
If there was a list of 50 things I’d consider in buying a tws, the risk of battery failure during their useful life would be number 75 on my list.
It's not about early battery failure, but battery failure period.

How long are a wireless IEM's batteries going to last with regular use? 2-3 years max? If I'm spending hundreds on a product, I want it to last longer, not be disposable.

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #58,766 of 62,436

How long are a wireless IEM's batteries going to last with regular use? 2-3 years max? If I'm spending hundreds on a product, I want it to last longer, not be disposable.
I’ve never seen a lithium battery flat out fail in my life. They are disposable items but it’s not because of the batteries it’s for other reasons.

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #58,767 of 62,436

For the price of the best wired IEMs nowadays you can get like 10 to 20 pairs of Airpod Pros. Wired IEM no battery expiration......you gotta be kidding unless you have that magical voodoo to make sound out of the IEM itself. You have to get a DAP for your best wired IEMs, while a TWS is THE DAP + IEM combined. AND also don't forget that the battery in that DAP will deteriorate just like that in a TWS. So why bother about the battery thing when the price of the best TWS is still a fraction of a mid range DAP+IEM combo.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #58,769 of 62,436

some of my TWS do have battery failures, but most of them are still fine and seems to be holding good amount of charge even after years of use.. for instance my cheap old QCY T1C still works great, and i bought it when it first came out i forgot how many years ago.

one thing that i seem to notice, all of those TWS that failed, they all would discharge their battery rather quickly when stored in their charging cases, even when I'm not using it..whereas the ones that still work great would hold their charge in their cases when stored and not being used

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #58,770 of 62,436
The 100-200euro market is very competitive. Something like the Moondrop Kato doesnt sound better than my Enco X2 or Buds 2Pro. The TWS will be muuuch more practical and arguably last longer than Moondrops crappy quality stuff.
I’d take AirPods (non Pro) over Moondrops. Hell I’ll take airplane earbuds over moondrops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back