Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 2, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #58,503 of 62,214
Just a bit off Topic, I picked up the WH1000XM5 (headphones not earbuds) on Cyber Monday and I'm really liking them.
Going to California next week and now to decide what headphones and earbuds to bring.
Hey, just be careful of the hinges as they can break easily and it can cost 2/3 price of the xm5 to repair them. I broke mine when I was wearing them.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #58,504 of 62,214
With some good BT LDAC dongle and decent IEM (IER-Z1R, IER-M9, XBA-N3, Quintet) ... for CD quality at 1411 kbps there is a significant sound quality gap from any of my LDAC TWS .. BT dongles are really near regarding SQ (if not same), with same iEM directly wired to the portable source.

Based on this facts, there is clearly room for nearly all TWS to some improvements .. but I am not sure that LDAC transmission codec is the bottleneck..
Are these available?

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #58,505 of 62,214
Are these available?
At least I own FIIO BTR7, Quloos MUB1, iFi Go blu even iFi Go pod ... and of course the best combo of all with NW-WM1A set in BT LDAC receiver mode connected to my Z Fold 5 (with Qobuz) ... all of these offer better sound quality results with any of the 3 IEMs I listed than any of my favourite LDAC TWS like EAH-AZ80, FW-1000XM5 (though those are the most convenient to be used outdoor by a huge margin)..

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #58,506 of 62,214
Got a hold of the QC Ultra, will give them a try in public transport tomorrow, tube and train. I'll have the Jabra 10 too and I'm expecting the QC will be a lot better as I've been pretty disappointed in the Jabra 10s when it comes to overall isolation. On train trips I've tried a QC20+QC25 combo, it's a bit cumbersome but it's hard to beat in terms of isolation !

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #58,507 of 62,214
Think another week at Potafest we will find out things like battery life. With 5 drivers and LDAC it will be interesting to see the numbers.
Strangely battery playing time is almost on par in LDAC mode... between iFi Go Blu & IER-M9 vs WF 1000XM5 (10 hours) or BTR7 & XBA-N3 vs EAH-AZ80 (7.5/8 hours)..

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #58,508 of 62,214
Off topic… my used acceptable Amazon h95s arrived. I definitely didn’t hit the “new sealed” lottery. This have been used. The case was pretty scratched up. The headphones themselves seem in pretty good shape. Now to the sound, they sound bright to me. Not much bass. Not sure yet what I think. They are definitely tight, clean and fast.
They are bright and they have decent amount of bass but more sub bass than mid-bass. They are also not too comfortable. However in general they are well built and sound good.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #58,509 of 62,214
You are right, I think the multi-tech multi-driver tuning and implementation is not something most are able to do which sounds natural like a DD. The only one that sounds "natural"(like a DD) to my ears is Buds 2 Pro. Every other dual/tri driver with a BA has something weird about it, especially when it comes to reproducing treble...

I don't have Jabra Elite 10 anymore but they didn't fit my ears well and also the sound didn't seem to have the "dynamic impact" for sudden beats/changes in sound for me.
Probably because the Buds 2 have AKG dna.. They have lots of experience in BA, as my AKG N5005’s have 4 BA and 1 DD. They sound fantastic once properly fitted..

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #58,510 of 62,214
They are bright and they have decent amount of bass but more sub bass than mid-bass. They are also not too comfortable. However in general they are well built and sound good.
That’s probably why rock sounds so thin but more modern stuff like alternative seems to sound better on them.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #58,511 of 62,214
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #58,513 of 62,214
Anyone ever try the Lypertek S10, they look really small. Wondering they might be good for sleeping.

https://headphonebar.com/products/lypertek-soundfree-s10-ultra-compact-earbuds
I bought the soundcore a10 for sleep last week. It is designed for that purpose and was down to 119$ CDN during black Friday. So far so good . Sound pretty decent for sleep buds and can auto switch to a sleep mode where it plays a built in sound you choose in the bud and can even play a dedicated alarm.
They are tiny and not bad even for side sleeping.

They won't compete with full tws. No mics or anc but are good as dedicated sleep buds.

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #58,515 of 62,214
Honestly, Bose has no business making earbuds that are as laggy as theirs are. Not only is the app now refusing to connect to the earbuds, the first couple of pairings I did it connected to the "LE-Bose QC Buds Ultra" rather than the "QC Buds Ultra" and I swear they sounded worse and was more laggy when that was the case. The app worked fine for a bit though, but now? Nope, it's refusing to connect to the buds even after me putting in and taking the buds out of the case again multiple times and restarting the app several times.

Damn annoying for this price. Almost no other buds are this laggy even for half the price. Such a shame really because I like Bose's products otherwise.
Mine don’t have lag but they skip every now and then. However they are very expensive and it’s their 4-5th attempt at true wireless you’d think they would have it sorted. No acceptable for the price.

Ruins an almost perfect product for me. Unfortunately the AirPods seem to be the only constant in user experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back