Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 3, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #58,516 of 62,477
Anyone with the new JLabs ...try a listen to the 2018 Pink Floyd Animals remaster, Pigs(Three Different Ones). Listen to the bass line, it is very well defined. Good quality bass for the quantity. Sorry, at times I can't help myself from being too granular.

If you haven't heard the remaster, the overall clarity is greatly improved, I recommend it.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #58,517 of 62,477
Honestly, Bose has no business making earbuds that are as laggy as theirs are. Not only is the app now refusing to connect to the earbuds, the first couple of pairings I did it connected to the "LE-Bose QC Buds Ultra" rather than the "QC Buds Ultra" and I swear they sounded worse and was more laggy when that was the case. The app worked fine for a bit though, but now? Nope, it's refusing to connect to the buds even after me putting in and taking the buds out of the case again multiple times and restarting the app several times.

Damn annoying for this price. Almost no other buds are this laggy even for half the price. Such a shame really because I like Bose's products otherwise.
I used to have pairing issues with my Bose Sport earbuds, which I only use for exercising. In the last year, the problem has disappeared. Not sure whether it’s because of the app updates or the iPhone updates, or both. It’s also true that i don’t connect multiple devices, otherwise the issue will likely reappear.

I love the Bose earbuds for exercising, and particularly for running, because there isn’s much “thump” as other earbuds that enter in your ear canal more deeply. I just wish these headphones had a better app and a more neutral sound profile. Mine are still okay, but the measurements I’ve seen online of the newer models are far more V shaped.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #58,518 of 62,477
Going on a flight soon. Want to eliminate as much of the plane noise as possible. I have the MTW3, unsure if those are good enough, or if the Bose QC Ultras are the best option? Any frequent flyers have a suggestion?
My advice is buy the cheaper Bose QCii which are almost the same for noise cancelling and have almost the same sound, if that’s all you are after. (See my previous posts on ANC for my experience). It has lots of bugs though as documented frequently here but for $199 or $149 refurb they are good value.

Don’t expect miracles though… if you are behind the wing of a noisy 777-300ER in say row 41 for 10+ hours then no ANC from any manufacturer whether over ear or TWS will make the ride noise free. Also, what type of music matters especially with the Bose and at what volume….

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #58,519 of 62,477
My advice is buy the cheaper Bose QCii which are almost the same for noise cancelling and have almost the same sound, if that’s all you are after. (See my previous posts on ANC for my experience). It has lots of bugs though as documented frequently here but for $199 or $149 refurb they are good value.

Don’t expect miracles though… if you are behind the wing of a noisy 777-300ER in say row 41 for 10+ hours then no ANC from any manufacturer whether over ear or TWS will make the ride noise free. Also, what type of music matters especially with the Bose and at what volume….
I appreciate the reply.

I’m going to Jamaica soon, and will be in the air for about 6 hours. Been a while since I’ve been in a plane, and wanted some more “experienced” ears to suggest. Good points on expecting miracles, I think that’s where I was. I may just stick to my MTW3s then, save the money for the beach.😀

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #58,520 of 62,477
You could also use some cheap closed cans with large ear cups above your MTW3s, that will beat any standalone device out there. I've recently been using my QC25 like that but the ear cups are a tad smal.

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #58,521 of 62,477
I got the Philips Fidelio T1 for about $79-ish, and honestly they sound pretty damn good. I mean, they look ridiculous as hell and they're non-starters as any sort of daily drivers because they're probably the only earbuds I would be ashamed to be seen out with, but... The sound is damn good even without EQ:ing.
They make the WF-1000XM3's look small though, however.

The eartips were also silly, with the ones included I think it's the worst fit I've had with any earbuds, bar none.
Switching out to some Moondrop Spring Tips and the fit is passable, they don't fall straight out of my ears.

But that sound is a lot better than I expected. Just EQ'd in Wavelet and that sound is pretty darn nice. Somewhat neutral, clean, decent soundstage, bass that can certainly rumble in the sub-bass region.

The volume does seem a bit low though, but I haven't looked if there's any sort of volume control on the buds that can be increased independently, because right now I'm listening to the buds at 100% and it's at what I would call perfect listening levels for listening alone at home. With other buds that would be maybe 50-60%.

For $79 they are honestly great, but for the full price which was something like $349-ish it's a huge no for all of the non-sound related aspects of the earbuds.

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #58,522 of 62,477

Great point, I bought the original QC’s at retail, I think for $229 and picked up a refurbished backup at Bose for $129..
There is no difference, Bose does an excellent job on their refurb’s.., 👍

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #58,523 of 62,477
I have had an evening and morning with the JL Labs and I have some thoughts:

Pack-Ins - Nice charging cable, ample foam tips and silicone tips, I got a good seal with XL(no need for after-market), tip rolling for comfort and sq
Case - very well built, metal, classy looks, dongle mounts inside, lights easily read, one nice feature is a non-skid bottom
Build - just okay, faceplate feels cheap, not premium feeling(but not premium price either) I paid 150
App - It has features, EQ is funky and very sensitive to control when set to a level(needs improvement), I am good with the "signature" preset so no big deal to me
Connection - a very solid LDAC connection - my sample rate is 96000Hz at 32bits(Android) AAC for iPhone, LE Audio support on compatible devices. The Epic Lab Edition earbuds are compatible with the new LC3 codec
Touch Controls - somewhat customizable, but I am still trying to master and remember the settings(my bad).

Some notes - most of my listening has been to Qobuz(mix of Hi-Res and CD quality) I found the Spinfit Omni to balance out the sound(my go to at this point, but happy with stock as well).

The driver configuration is a two-driver hybrid, one Dynamic for Bass and a BA Knowles driver. Out of the gate, the sound is full, forward and very bass focused. As is my experience with DD, I am giving them a little settle in time, and then will tip roll again.

The Bass has gobs of quantity, both mid bass and sub. These DD can really bring the slam and the rumble. I wish the decay was a little faster so that the notes didn't linger as long, but that is a wish. I have noticed the bass is very genre dependent. For example, the bass quality is more apparent in instrumental jazz. When the music is modern rock and involved, that is where the decay should be a little shorter. When the track is not bass heavy it really sounds excellent. I loved how GnR, Perhaps, rocked my ears.

The mid range is well done and forward. The slight decay bleed occurs into the mids but it also creates the fullness, these are very full sounding. The upper mids which can be harsh in many modern tunings is smooth for long listening. Sade is very smooth and her vocals are at stage. Male vocals sound a row away from the stage

Treble could use a bit more sparkle, I am not sure if I can EQ because I do not like the EQ in the app as mentioned above(firmware could improve). This is going to sound contradictory, while I love the "Signature" preset, the Bass preset gives the treble a touch more sparkle, to my ears. Overall, the treble is smooth and non-offensive. Not bad, just needs more extension.

Staging is very good. Great stereo separation. Also, while the sound is full you can more certainly distinguish the instruments as there is enough air. The tonality and timbre of the instruments is okay. Overall, the staging is good.

I no longer have the AZ80, 3ANC, Samsung Buds 2 Pro or Jabre Elite 10 or any of the others that I see questions about. I don't feel it is proper to ever recall and comment on recollection alone. I will say these and the 3ANC would be the best comparison, based on price and performance. If I remember the 3ANC were tuned less bassy and had a little more clarity. Do not take that as the JL Labs isn't clear because it has ample clarity. The 3ANC were one of the buds I held on to the longest.

In closing, at 150 a complete steal at their 200 list and excellent buy, especially for those Android users, because of the Codecs. I do not have iPhone so someone else can chime in. For most folks I feel these are a keeper, for me I am enamored with the EX. If the Svanar had the solid, stable connection of the JL Labs it would be King.

I haven't walked outside or made calls. I will be happy to update once I do that. ANC as well
Thanks
Which jlabs model is it ?

Dec 3, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #58,527 of 62,477
Funny, I used to travel before ANC on TWS got acceptable, with the QC25s and Etymotic ER4s…
I doubt any current system can do better in terms of isolation, now the comfort and sound signature of the ER4s that's something else :wink:

Clearly that's not a good setup for a short tube ride but well worth it for a long train trip or flight. Actually for a flight ANC will probably be enough, it's easy for ANC to cancel out a droning sound.

:wink:

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #58,530 of 62,477

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231203-213752.png
    Screenshot_20231203-213752.png
    645.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back