Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 18, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #58,172 of 62,422
Thank you for thinking of me. I decided that as I have the QC 2 earbuds and the Ultras are pretty much the same for ANC and just as bad for calls, there’s no point side-grading.

The QC2 at $199 or less than $150 refurb are good value if ANC is your thing.
Would love to see a response graph for the QC Ultras --- i just found them lacking in the sub-bass. The bass that there was definitely was clean and tight but it lacked the kind of depth and punch of buds like MTW3/DPP's

Also the spatial audio for me felt like it was slow to respond so the sound stage kinda moved around all the time which unbalanced the audio and was quite distracting.
Comfort wise they were amazing and i'd love to have kept them.

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #58,173 of 62,422
Have been using the Denon Perl Pros lately. Their shape and style might be controversial and they do look very big in the ear, but their fit is actually amazing at least for my ears. Ultra stable when locked in. Sound is phenomenal after sound personalisation. Probably the best I have personally heard so far in a TWS. Touch controls are also very good, the app is good, multipoint works flawlessly, battery life is very good, call quality wasn't an issue so far at all and the case feels and looks solid. 5 band "Pro EQ" on top of the sound personalisation is great for me. They can get extremely loud if needed and even offer a "high gain mode" (which I will likely never even need). Transparency mode works very good (not APP2 great but definitely good enough). ANC is very good, albeit not Sony/Apple/Bose god tier.

I'm impressed, I really am. And I have tried, auditioned and owned so many TWS by now. These could be my new all time favourites (for now of course). Don't see many flaws so far. Cons? Maybe that they're a bit finicky to get out of the case before using them. I think some people will not dig their style. But that's about it so far for me.

Great buds! Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #58,174 of 62,422
Would love to see a response graph for the QC Ultras --- i just found them lacking in the sub-bass. The bass that there was definitely was clean and tight but it lacked the kind of depth and punch of buds like MTW3/DPP's

Also the spatial audio for me felt like it was slow to respond so the sound stage kinda moved around all the time which unbalanced the audio and was quite distracting.
Comfort wise they were amazing and i'd love to have kept them.
RTings has the frequency graph for QC Ultra buds. https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcomfort-ultra-earbuds-truly-wireless

I find QC ultras have boosted bass which gives that reverb style bass but it lacks in mid-bass. Mids are okay but on thinner side. Treble seems smoothened and not as open. It also lacks the refined crisp sound you can get from B&O, Technics or Samsung. But ANC and in ear comfort are unbeatable. I am not a fan of 360 audio but I feel Bose's immersive audio is one of the best implementations of this tech.

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #58,175 of 62,422
Have been using the Denon Perl Pros lately. Their shape and style might be controversial and they do look very big in the ear, but their fit is actually amazing at least for my ears. Ultra stable when locked in. Sound is phenomenal after sound personalisation. Probably the best I have personally heard so far in a TWS. Touch controls are also very good, the app is good, multipoint works flawlessly, battery life is very good, call quality wasn't an issue so far at all and the case feels and looks solid. 5 band "Pro EQ" on top of the sound personalisation is great for me. They can get extremely loud if needed and even offer a "high gain mode" (which I will likely never even need). Transparency mode works very good (not APP2 great but definitely good enough).

I'm impressed, I really am. And I have tried, auditioned and owned so many TWS by now. These could be my new all time favourites (for now of course). Don't see many flaws so far. Cons? Maybe that they're a bit finicky to get out of the case before using them. I think some people will not dig their style. But that's about it so far for me.

I agree with everything you said including the cons. They are hard to get out of the case.

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #58,176 of 62,422
to me they'll never fulfill the same use case.

TWS with transparency for calls and general life is just so much more pleasant than walking around with metal earplugs in (wired iems). Same goes for any kind of exercise, in or out of the gym, I want TWS. And go pods/utsw5 adapters are terrible for that.

I think I've settled on full wired iems and tws. I plug the wired iems directly into my phone or player, and that is a big jump in sound. Then bluetooth I go tws.

I never said I got rid of my TWS and don't use them, in fact I mentioned I am happy with the three I have. Not sure where you got that I don't see use cases for TWS when I literally said I'm keeping those. This is why I still own the Mystique Pro, MTW3 and Pixel Pro Buds, such as for when I take mass transit into NYC tonight and walking in the city. Probably take the MTW3.

But often I just want to hear the best quality audio when on the go, and those aren't it.

With the IEM's plugging into the Blu or 5K, the wire to me is fine. It's not plugged into the phone, I can just also reach into my pocket and pause or play tracks or adjust the volume without looking via the Blu.

It's annoying as heck when the cable runs to my phone though. I still have a questyle m12 dongle as backup but it rarely gets used.

Of course I will try TWS again or TWS adapters, but honestly, right now we've been at a plateau for a while and need a real breakthrough to come before to me they are worth chasing again.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #58,177 of 62,422
Like I mentioned here a few times; the Shure TW2 are my favourite. No ANC, great app and ambient mode. Excellent for calls too with the side tone; single side use and such. The sq is definitely better than many TWS.
The case is on chunky side but it’s alright. Definitely worth considering IMO.
I would have bought them if they had a 2 pin version, but I don't think they do.

Nov 18, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #58,178 of 62,422
Have been using the Denon Perl Pros lately. Their shape and style might be controversial and they do look very big in the ear, but their fit is actually amazing at least for my ears. Ultra stable when locked in. Sound is phenomenal after sound personalisation. Probably the best I have personally heard so far in a TWS. Touch controls are also very good, the app is good, multipoint works flawlessly, battery life is very good, call quality wasn't an issue so far at all and the case feels and looks solid. 5 band "Pro EQ" on top of the sound personalisation is great for me. They can get extremely loud if needed and even offer a "high gain mode" (which I will likely never even need). Transparency mode works very good (not APP2 great but definitely good enough). ANC is very good, albeit not Sony/Apple/Bose god tier.

See, @SynaestheticA , it's the spontaneous, glowing impressions such as these that rekindle my FOMO for the DPP's.

Nov 18, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #58,179 of 62,422
See, @SynaestheticA , it's the spontaneous, glowing impressions such as these that rekindle my FOMO for the DPP's.
It'd like a massive weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Hate to be the only person praising these but yea, I couldn't possibly agree more.

Nov 18, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #58,180 of 62,422
Hey Wireless friends.

I always make the mistake of not coming here first for moments like this.

Need a new Bluetooth speaker. Medium sized like the Bose Soundlink Flex (Which I have and think it is really good). But wouldn't mind something equal or better. JBL Charge 5 fails under convoluted tracks and bass is actually worse than Bose. Very peaky as well. Sonos, Marshall Emberton II all weak and quite sad when it comes to bass.

Reddit is obsessed with the Soundcore Motion Boom + but it's a bit big for indoor use (General use case). Then they are obsessed with Oluvs Earfun uboom L speaker but in my experience these "Audiophile" speakers are made for people who love jazz along with anemic bass.

Need something that works indoors but ideally can thump (well enough) outdoors at a festival.

So I'm thinking the Minirig 3.

Any other niche products out there I might not know about?

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #58,182 of 62,422
So I pulled out my old Echo Buds v1 and...they provide better isolation (mostly passive, ANR is very "weaksauce") than the Jabra 10 ! I guess that takes care of my questions about keeping them or not. Sure they're convenient with easy multi-pairing and good quality calls but I rarely use earbuds for calls so...If they were 149€ instead of 299€ (249€ currently on Amazon) I might be tempted but they're clearly overpriced for my use case (good isolation during commutes or train trips).

The RTings review has something about getting good results with the Dolby Atmos mode when streaming compatible music but I have not been able to hear any spatialization of note with Tidal or Amazon Atmos compared to what I get with "simulated Atmos" on "non-Atmos" earbuds, has anyone here had more luck ?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #58,183 of 62,422
It'd like a massive weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Hate to be the only person praising these but yea, I couldn't possibly agree more.
Yeah --- i did finally re-buy these for the 4th time (2 duff sets)
Spent 3 good weeks again comparing them back and forth to the MTW3 putting in many hours of back to backs --- finally reaching the conclusion that they're good no doubt but my initial impression way back still stands -- they just don't represent a big enough leap above the now awesome pricing of the senns to be worth it so, for me so my FOMO is dispelled :)
I find the MTW to have a slightly nicer top-end

The fit / security of DPP in-ear is probably one of the most secure i've ever used. The bass hits hard and the ANC is above the MTW but below Bose. I just don't feel the spatial thing at all adds much of anything.

Think this is my final fling with these :)

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #58,184 of 62,422
Yeah --- i did finally re-buy these for the 4th time (2 duff sets)
Spent 3 good weeks again comparing them back and forth to the MTW3 putting in many hours of back to backs --- finally reaching the conclusion that they're good no doubt but my initial impression way back still stands -- they just don't represent a big enough leap above the now awesome pricing of the senns to be worth it so, for me so my FOMO is dispelled :)
I find the MTW to have a slightly nicer top-end

The fit / security of DPP in-ear is probably one of the most secure i've ever used. The bass hits hard and the ANC is above the MTW but below Bose. I just don't feel the spatial thing at all adds much of anything.

Think this is my final fling with these :)
Interesting. I've just sold (another) pair of MTW3s because of the DPPs :) The MTW3 (I re-bought them for 115€ brand new) are the better bang for the buck, no doubt, but they stood no chance in the sound department in direct comparison for me (while still sounding very good of course). They're just not as "musical", effortless and capable when it comes to complex sounding tracks with a lot going on at the same time, their bass cannot hit as dry and hard without compromising the rest of the mix. ANC on the Senns is slightly worse as is their take on sound personalization, no comparison here imo. Also, that really perfect fit of the DPP is key for me. It's just on another level in my ears and I didn't even have a problem with the fit of the MTW3s at all, they were also quite securely sitting in there. The Denons are more reliable when it comes to mulitpoint, too. It just works every single time here.

Funny that you mention the spatial audio thing, I think this is the first set for me on which I didn't immediately turn it off - I really like it here. It doesn't ruin everything like it does on most TWS implementations. Personal taste of course, as is most of this maybe, but the Denons are definitely the much better set than the MTW3, imo. I got them for 279€ which is a solid price, I guess. Cannot argue against the fact that it was more than twice the price in comparison to the Senns, however. Still, the MTW3 are gone again, which is quite telling all things considered (but they still remain one of my favourite TWS, I just don't need that many around and prefer to keep the better ones).

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #58,185 of 62,422

Users who are viewing this thread

Back