Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 17, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #58,156 of 62,431
Original Fidelio was pretty well liked from what I remember. Did it have the same driver configuration?

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #58,158 of 62,431
My TWS experience has taken me right back to higher quality wired IEMs. Been rocking TWS since the Senn MTW2 and have probably tried just under 10 different TWS. I am currently quite happy with the Mystique, the MTW3, depending upon if I want a better ANC and transparency mode on that outing - and the Pixel Buds Pro (primarily when I need a super portable set or to make phone calls on the go).

But I just kept craving better sound, and that took me on a journey which has ended up with me and the Volur and the IER-Z1R, with the IE 600 for sale. I did go for the iFi Go Pods at first but they were just lacking too much in various ways. I turned out to be quite content for now with the Qudelix 5K and the iFi Go Blue. If the IEM wire is plugged into one of those little devices, it just doesn't get in the way like they do when plugged into a phone dongle. The quality of sound is just unbeatable. I think at this point TWS are just kinda chasing the dragon with no real step forward having happened in a while. We need another major step forward for them before I go and get into the constant search for better with actual TWS buds.

I appreciate the journey, and I like the TWS I have, but I appreciate even more the journey back to really good wired IEM with portable solutions. I look forward to further TWS solutions for wired IEM's from FiiO and iBasso and iFi's second attempt at hopefully righting the obvious mistakes they have made with their first.

Nov 18, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #58,161 of 62,431
My TWS experience has taken me right back to higher quality wired IEMs. Been rocking TWS since the Senn MTW2 and have probably tried just under 10 different TWS. I am currently quite happy with the Mystique, the MTW3, depending upon if I want a better ANC and transparency mode on that outing - and the Pixel Buds Pro (primarily when I need a super portable set or to make phone calls on the go).

But I just kept craving better sound, and that took me on a journey which has ended up with me and the Volur and the IER-Z1R, with the IE 600 for sale. I did go for the iFi Go Pods at first but they were just lacking too much in various ways. I turned out to be quite content for now with the Qudelix 5K and the iFi Go Blue. If the IEM wire is plugged into one of those little devices, it just doesn't get in the way like they do when plugged into a phone dongle. The quality of sound is just unbeatable. I think at this point TWS are just kinda chasing the dragon with no real step forward having happened in a while. We need another major step forward for them before I go and get into the constant search for better with actual TWS buds.

I appreciate the journey, and I like the TWS I have, but I appreciate even more the journey back to really good wired IEM with portable solutions. I look forward to further TWS solutions for wired IEM's from FiiO and iBasso and iFi's second attempt at hopefully righting the obvious mistakes they have made with their first.

I'm still waiting for that "perfect" IEM TWS adapter...The latest one from Ifi is decen't, but very expensive, too large of a case and few software features. I don't think I can go back to an ordinary bluetooth amp like the 5K, a TWS is just too damn convenient.

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #58,162 of 62,431
I'm still waiting for that "perfect" IEM TWS adapter...The latest one from Ifi is decen't, but very expensive, too large of a case and few software features. I don't think I can go back to an ordinary bluetooth amp like the 5K, a TWS is just too damn convenient.
I don't think the perfect adapters exist or will be available anytime soon.
The Shure TW2 is a good one and very reliable but isn't the most powerful.
Some adapters are more powerful but they are so buggy it makes the whole listening experience not fun at all.

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #58,163 of 62,431
I don't think the perfect adapters exist or will be available anytime soon.
The Shure TW2 is a good one and very reliable but isn't the most powerful.
Some adapters are more powerful but they are so buggy it makes the whole listening experience not fun at all.
Yeah, anything "perfect" will most likely never exist :)

But the current market is just awful, just awful. Go Pods were sort of exciting, but with many drawbacks.

Nov 18, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #58,164 of 62,431

to me they'll never fulfill the same use case.

TWS with transparency for calls and general life is just so much more pleasant than walking around with metal earplugs in (wired iems). Same goes for any kind of exercise, in or out of the gym, I want TWS. And go pods/utsw5 adapters are terrible for that.

I think I've settled on full wired iems and tws. I plug the wired iems directly into my phone or player, and that is a big jump in sound. Then bluetooth I go tws.

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #58,165 of 62,431
Yeah, anything "perfect" will most likely never exist :)

But the current market is just awful, just awful. Go Pods were sort of exciting, but with many drawbacks.
Like I mentioned here a few times; the Shure TW2 are my favourite. No ANC, great app and ambient mode. Excellent for calls too with the side tone; single side use and such. The sq is definitely better than many TWS.
The case is on chunky side but it’s alright. Definitely worth considering IMO.

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #58,166 of 62,431
Like I mentioned here a few times; the Shure TW2 are my favourite. No ANC, great app and ambient mode. Excellent for calls too with the side tone; single side use and such. The sq is definitely better than many TWS.
The case is on chunky side but it’s alright. Definitely worth considering IMO.

Yeah..But it's SoC is really dated, and no seperate amplifier/dac as far as I'm aware? It's functionally is great, unlike the Fiio's...:)

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #58,167 of 62,431
Anyone else still rocking the Pi7s?

I always find them engaging and impressive in their layering compared to Airpods Pro 2 when I switch. Makes me realise that although the detail and tonality of APP2 is great, they just lack that pull of other iems...I can't describe it, they never offend but they also never truly impress. I'm finding Pi7 more flawed in places, but overall just so much fun.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #58,168 of 62,431
Yeah..But it's SoC is really dated, and no seperate amplifier/dac as far as I'm aware? It's functionally is great, unlike the Fiio's...:)
It is not the most recent technology and AFAIK no separate amp/DAC.
I reach to them the most because they have great battery life and as reliable as they get and they sound great with other IEMs.
I’m sure there are more powerful adapters out there but they all based on reviews alone feel like unfinished products.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #58,169 of 62,431
Weekend shoppers, Bose QC Ultra are currently selling for $50 discount, which is a great discount on brand new buds. @Bhelpoori as I thought you had some interest in these.
Thank you for thinking of me. I decided that as I have the QC 2 earbuds and the Ultras are pretty much the same for ANC and just as bad for calls, there’s no point side-grading.

The QC2 at $199 or less than $150 refurb are good value if ANC is your thing.

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #58,170 of 62,431
Anyone else still rocking the Pi7s?

I always find them engaging and impressive in their layering compared to Airpods Pro 2 when I switch. Makes me realise that although the detail and tonality of APP2 is great, they just lack that pull of other iems...I can't describe it, they never offend but they also never truly impress. I'm finding Pi7 more flawed in places, but overall just so much fun.
Still my best sounding when I EQ them, they rival some of my best over ears. I paid $299 during a B&W website promo and felt it was a great deal. Picked up my PX7's for $199 new at Best Buy, these were some of my best scores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back