Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 30, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #57,796 of 62,750
Do these have an app yet?
I’m intrigued but I would like an app for the EQ and whatnot.
Yep and oluv done EQ presets for them

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #57,798 of 62,750
I couldn’t compare them in same room, but my impression is that G2 is way superior to MTB when it comes to ANC.

Indeed, because of their ANC I was still considering G2. But at the end, I decided to go with a better sound (imo).

Gonna test mtbs for a run/gym and see if I keep them or send them back. So G2 still got a chance :wink:

When I was trying G2/MTBs I was switching ANC on/off. Both times I prefer mtbs

I am a fan of the MTB but not so with its ANC, which does the job but kinda affects the SQ too much to my liking. So I have the ANC turned off like 90% of the time.

BUT the MTB features one of the best passive noise cancelling (i.e. seal) out there, partly probably due to the design of its long-ish eartips contrary to the popular notion that TWS eartips need to be shorter/shallower than conventional iem eartips. These eartips fit great and seal superbly, and comes with a better selection of sizes than most. I don't miss ANC at all with the MTBs on.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #57,799 of 62,750
I cannot find a Amazon UK Early Bird Code for the extra 10%.
Dunno if the code i posted above was specific to me or generic -- i had got it through a "pre-order" email setup by earfun on their site a couple weeks ago

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #57,800 of 62,750
So I just LOVE my Fokus Mystiques, the V-Shaped signature is addictive and overall I think they sound great. However, mine are damaged and I have the money for a new pair of TWS (these cost £360). Given that I enjoy their sound signature, are there any other TWS I should consider before I just go and buy another set?

I am happy to spend this same budget on another TWS.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #57,803 of 62,750
Unboxing time...
EarFun Free Pro 3
Headline summary -- brilliant bargain

What's in the box:
  • Earbuds
  • USB-C 10cm cable
  • 6 sets of tips: Med fitted but 2 smaller and 2 larger sets by the looks of it. Plus a set of foamies loose in the bag separate
  • 3 sets of stablise bands (small, large and flat)
  • Instructions
Charging case is small and pocket friendly. Less chunky than the Senn MTW3 and similar thickness to Samsung Galaxy FE case but wider
The case opens nice and wide (slightly over 90° open lid) making them easy to get in and out. Features Qi Wireless charging which is a nice feature bizarrely lacking from buds costing 5x the price (Bose looking at you!)

Usual pairing process once you've peeled away the tape blocking the charge ports and let them initialise. Either can be done in-app or just in settings.

App
You can update firmware, customise buttons (both sides indepdent and from a good list of options), EQ, which comes with a bunch of presets including Oluv's natural and boosted EQ's (more later), options for codec (aptx adaptive available), mic options, voice, and a find buds option. Simple and clean app, nice and responsive. Perfectly functional

ANC
I'd say theyr'e probably the worst out of the 3 i've got here but it's still enough to drop white noise down a few dB but it's nowhere near as capable as some more expensive buds. It's definitely passable when out and about. The firmware update you get on launch of the app (0.2.0 at the time) adds a wind-noise feature which seems to be the in-vogue feature.

Fit
Initially used the small tips and large wings and they fit fine but still i find the need for a shallower overall fit to get the best experience for me so i switched to my goto Spinfit CP1025 TWS tips and the buds are immensely comfortable. Almost no pressure in any spot. The wings adds the security but are very soft silicone and flex so they really don't pressure your ears. With the tips switched improving my fit i get a good boost in bass too.

Sound
The EarFun signature sound is "ok". Nothing special but perfectly fine. I immediately tried Oluv's 2 pre-sets and it really wakes these things up in a big way.
The "Oluv Boosted" EQ adds that more V feel. But for me it did push the bass a little bit too boomy for me on some tracks
Sub bass is present and solid. I took the Oluv boosted preset and knocked the bass down 1 notch on the 1st two points and it eased off the boominess plus i pushed up the top end a little as i felt it lacked a little bit of aireness. Am talking EDM / Drum'n'Bass music here -- for most other things it's ok. But backing off the bass a touch on the boosted EQ was the sweetspot for me.
They're a fun set and for the money they punch above their weight. I think my MTW3 are better still and handle things a little tidier and give me a little more detail but i think for the asking price these are a great casual set. I'll spend some time with the EQ on these and see what i can manage but out of the box with minimal fuss you have a solid fun set of earbuds for a super competitive price. I think they definitely compete strongly with the Samsung Galaxy Buds FE which are a good 30% more expensive.

The ANC is definitely similar and AptX adaptive being present means more options for better audio than the limit of Samsung SSC

These are a solid value prop.
20231031_141837.jpg20231031_135422.jpg20231031_135543.jpg20231031_135616.jpg20231031_135719.jpg20231031_140736.jpg

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #57,804 of 62,750
Apple AirPods Pro 2 USB C for $189 on Amazon. As much as they don’t make me excited as much as other toys that’s a great deal!

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #57,805 of 62,750
I am a fan of the MTB but not so with its ANC, which does the job but kinda affects the SQ too much to my liking. So I have the ANC turned off like 90% of the time.

BUT the MTB features one of the best passive noise cancelling (i.e. seal) out there, partly probably due to the design of its long-ish eartips contrary to the popular notion that TWS eartips need to be shorter/shallower than conventional iem eartips. These eartips fit great and seal superbly, and comes with a better selection of sizes than most. I don't miss ANC at all with the MTBs on.
Would you mind posting a video of them or more pictures? How they fit in the ear etc? There’s so few reviews and videos in English… so I am just trying to get more information before/if I get them. Thanks!!

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #57,806 of 62,750
So I got my MTBs today. Quick testing session. First (well, second) impression - they are still great. Lovely sound. I just love how guitars sound on them. I didn't figure out exactly, if they sound a bit too artificial or just amazing, but it was nice how MTBs draw my attention to guitars. Treble sounds really great as well, crisp, but not too bright and just right amount of bass (for the most part).
Soundstage is nice, but its not really "in front" of me, but rather inside my head/on top. Placement could be better. On classical music I feel like timing might be slightly off? And I do miss some depth of timber in vocals.

I did a small run with them and took them to the gym. Outside - cant use ANC, cause they will pick up all the wind noise. Occlusion sound is decent, you hear it, but its not the worst. They were comfy and secure for 2 hours, I never had a feeling they might fall out.
In the gym I didnt really notice much difference between ANC on and OFF. Imo, ANC is really week on them. Probably miles after Bose, Apple, Sony. As productred mentioned, the seal is pretty good so passive NC is very decent. I did not had issues while running outside, but personally I do prefer to have ANC on to get "complete silence".
I didnt figure out how to increase/reduce volume on the buds (at least its not intuitive for me) and I didnt see option to change touches/commands in the app. Which at 400$ is not good enough imo.

Did I enjoy them? For sure! Will I keep them? Not so sure - maybe. I need to test them more. Despite small issues, I doubt there are many better sounding buds. But volume/touch control are important for me, as well as ANC with no wind noise.

Tomorrow Ill try to find some time to test/review 5-10 songs, comparing them with wired IEM with dac and speakers (not fair, but its not about fairness).

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #57,807 of 62,750
another tws from hifiman- svanar wireless jr

Screenshot_20231031_203200_AliExpress.jpg

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #57,808 of 62,750

Users who are viewing this thread

Back