Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 19, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #57,631 of 63,207
Hey all, I've been out of the headphone game (at least the shopping/researching part) for a few years now, hoping I could get some advice here (if you think it would be better to just start a new thread, LMK).

Pre-pandemic I was using wired IEMs for my commute as I would end up at a desk all day, so wired wasn't a big deal. I had (and still have) a set of Hyla CE-5's powered by a Chord Mojo, and I really like them. I think the hybrid design is fun, and I love the sound of the DD over strictly BA IEMs. Nowadays, that setup has been relegated to home (I WFH most of the time now), and while I'm considering getting non-IEMs for home and selling the Hylas, thats a separate discussion.

In 2021 I picked up some Sony WF-1000XM4s that I enjoyed well enough. Nothing compared to the Hylas, but they were fine for when I was out and about. Now the Sonys are not holding a charge, and Sony has offered me a full refund ($250). Seems like the hi-fi TWS market has a lot more offerings than when I looked before, and I see some of you have both the Sonys and other TWS' mentioned here. One other thing that is pretty important to me is the size of the case, given that I often carry it in my pocket. The XM4 case was fine, smaller would be nice but not a huge deal. Larger might be an issue, however.

To be honest, ANC is not a dealbreaker for me, however I do like having ambient sound mode, good for times when I'm in high traffic areas and want to be aware of my surroundings. Codecs and such are also probably not something crazy important to me (I like good sound, but I'm sure I'm not as refined of a listener as you all).

My price point I'm shooting for is probably in the ~250-400 range, so I was looking at the Noble FoKus Mystique, as it seems to be cut from a similar cloth as the Hylas. That said, seems like there are other new options (Gemini 2, MTB, Hifiman) that are being talked about right now. I'm in the Chicago area, not sure if any of these can be tried anywhere? (looks like Best Buy has the Gemini, but only for shipping). I've considered just going with the XM5s given how good Sony's support was for me, but I feel that seems like such a "mainstream" option, doing something a little different has me hoping there is a better choice.

Thanks in advance, all. Going to keep doing my research, but as always these things can be overwhelming if you're jumping in fresh after a few years.
I have the HiFiman Svanar Wireless and if ANC is something you might use only occasionally then I can recommend them. Note LDAC has issues for a lot of people, myself included. When it works correctly it adds a bit to the sound quality. When it has issues you will have to turn BT on and off on your phone and then reconnect to the TWS. Sometimes more than once. AAC on the other hand it stable. So, having said that, the LE version omits LDAC plus wireless and a black plastic on the part touching the ear versus carbon fiber for only $299 which is a $200 savings...

But I am going to go off board on you a bit and also recommend taking a hard look at the Jabra Elite 10. I actually slightly prefer their sound over the Svanar due to harder hitting bass and not quite so sharp treble. The Svanar will definitely the most audiophile out if the 2.

Both Svanar and Jabra offer better sound stage and spatial queues than any other TWS I have owned including the WF-1000XM4. The Jabra also has an actual Dolby Spatial option as well with head tracking and its cool, but I actually prefer them best with that off and they still have amazing spatial qualities if the song was recorded to sound that way. I am listening to a lot prog rock, classical, and jazz and really enjoying them.

Think more balanced and detailed with Svanar and bolder harder hitting with Elite 10.

The Svanar is a more traditional IEM type TWS and the Elite 10 is semi open with very unique proprietary tips. They are both very comfy but for my ears I will give the nod to the Elite 10 for comfort. But this will be very ear dependant. I also use JVC spiral Dots on the Svanar as the included tips were not great. But they do take traditional type tips so have lots of tip options.

If you want to try the Jabra I recommend using Amazon or Jabra direct as they will allow you to return if you have any issues.

Not sure how that will work with the Svanar Wireless in regards to returns.

NOTE: I have actually started to use the Svanar with AAC (less hassle) and the Elite 10 also only has AAC. I would love it if LDAC was better on the Svanar and if the Elite supported it. Having said that these both sound better using AAC than a lot of TWS that do support LDAC.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #57,633 of 63,207
Oct 19, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #57,634 of 63,207
I have the HiFiman Svanar Wireless and if ANC is something you might use only occasionally then I can recommend them. Note LDAC has issues for a lot of people, myself included. When it works correctly it adds a bit to the sound quality. When it has issues you will have to turn BT on and off on your phone and then reconnect to the TWS. Sometimes more than once. AAC on the other hand it stable. So, having said that, the LE version omits LDAC plus wireless and a black plastic on the part touching the ear versus carbon fiber for only $299 which is a $200 savings...

But I am going to go off board on you a bit and also recommend taking a hard look at the Jabra Elite 10. I actually slightly prefer their sound over the Svanar due to harder hitting bass and not quite so sharp treble. The Svanar will definitely the most audiophile out if the 2.

Both Svanar and Jabra offer better sound stage and spatial queues than any other TWS I have owned including the WF-1000XM4. The Jabra also has an actual Dolby Spatial option as well with head tracking and its cool, but I actually prefer them best with that off and they still have amazing spatial qualities if the song was recorded to sound that way. I am listening to a lot prog rock, classical, and jazz and really enjoying them.

Think more balanced and detailed with Svanar and bolder harder hitting with Elite 10.

The Svanar is a more traditional IEM type TWS and the Elite 10 is semi open with very unique proprietary tips. They are both very comfy but for my ears I will give the nod to the Elite 10 for comfort. But this will be very ear dependant. I also use JVC spiral Dots on the Svanar as the included tips were not great. But they do take traditional type tips so have lots of tip options.

If you want to try the Jabra I recommend using Amazon or Jabra direct as they will allow you to return if you have any issues.

Not sure how that will work with the Svanar Wireless in regards to returns.

NOTE: I have actually started to use the Svanar with AAC (less hassle) and the Elite 10 also only has AAC. I would love it if LDAC was better on the Svanar and if the Elite supported it. Having said that these both sound better using AAC than a lot of TWS that do support LDAC.
Thats an interesting option. I used to have the Jabra 65t which was awesome from a comfort perspective, it just didn't sound very good.

Svanar LE is definitely an option for me, I'm not a huge fan of the look of them, but whatever.. The case also seems pretty big and bulky for pocket carry. Still though, might be worth it. Very curious to see if anyone who has used the Svanar and the FoKus Mystique can compare.

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #57,635 of 63,207
Thats an interesting option. I used to have the Jabra 65t which was awesome from a comfort perspective, it just didn't sound very good.

Svanar LE is definitely an option for me, I'm not a huge fan of the look of them, but whatever.. The case also seems pretty big and bulky for pocket carry. Still though, might be worth it. Very curious to see if anyone who has used the Svanar and the FoKus Mystique can compare.
Bulky and also I'd argue not the best of fit as not deep, it's perfect for walks, but not running/sports etc.,

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #57,636 of 63,207
Oct 19, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #57,637 of 63,207
You really see HD660S2 as an improvement over HD650, inside or outside? Hmm. :thinking:
Sennheiser is dead, has been for many years, the last innovation was HD800 with ring transducers, after that it's just reheated soup, can't even redesign those horrible spring based cable connectors that fail all the times. Of course you can claim any R&D on stuff that consumer cannot see or touch in the final product.

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #57,638 of 63,207
You really see HD660S2 as an improvement over HD650, inside or outside? Hmm. :thinking:
Sennheiser is dead, has been for many years, the last innovation was HD800 with ring transducers, after that it's just reheated soup, can't even redesign those horrible spring based cable connectors that fail all the times. Of course you can claim any R&D on stuff that consumer cannot see or touch in the final product.
I really don't know whether the 660S2 is an improvement. I just appreciate you sharing all your knowledge and wisdom here :smile_phones:

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #57,639 of 63,207

I tried the Elite 3 and Elite 7 Pro and both were sold off or sent back. I really was not impressed with their sound or ANC. It was very pedestrian in quality, midfi at best.

The Elite 10 still lacks a bit of detail but is definitely better than the 3 or 7. The soundscape is amazing and I personally love that aspect of headphones that can deliver it.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #57,640 of 63,207
Oct 19, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #57,641 of 63,207
This is why boredom is bad... always loved the EX. A revisit was in order. By the way, Amazon used acceptable and not a mark on them. 220.00
PXL_20231019_231845949.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #57,643 of 63,207
I was told through a FB post that Gemini's will get more software updates soon - hopefully, remove some of the bas bloat some think they have - or better EQ as I am also interested in them as well as MTBs.
I don't hear a lot of bloat in the bass. I hear a lot of bass but it seems fairly tight and separate from the mids. When I think of bloat I think of messy bass that overwhelms the music. Just my one cent.
Is buying Bose QC Ultra solely for ANC worth it? Enjoying my AZ80s and I don't know how the sound compares between these two?
Yup. Absolutely.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #57,645 of 63,207
Is buying Bose QC Ultra solely for ANC worth it? Enjoying my AZ80s and I don't know how the sound compares between these two?
I have both. AZ80's sound quality is definitely better to my ears (even without LDAC) but Bose Ultra's noise cancellation is best in it's class.

I mainly got the Bose for noise cancellation and immersive audio, and so far I'm enjoying it too.

When I travel, I bring both buds with me. Bose to mainly use on commutes and for watching movies on planes (though need to find an aptx adaptive dongle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back