Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 19, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #57,618 of 63,207
Hey all, I've been out of the headphone game (at least the shopping/researching part) for a few years now, hoping I could get some advice here (if you think it would be better to just start a new thread, LMK).

Pre-pandemic I was using wired IEMs for my commute as I would end up at a desk all day, so wired wasn't a big deal. I had (and still have) a set of Hyla CE-5's powered by a Chord Mojo, and I really like them. I think the hybrid design is fun, and I love the sound of the DD over strictly BA IEMs. Nowadays, that setup has been relegated to home (I WFH most of the time now), and while I'm considering getting non-IEMs for home and selling the Hylas, thats a separate discussion.

In 2021 I picked up some Sony WF-1000XM4s that I enjoyed well enough. Nothing compared to the Hylas, but they were fine for when I was out and about. Now the Sonys are not holding a charge, and Sony has offered me a full refund ($250). Seems like the hi-fi TWS market has a lot more offerings than when I looked before, and I see some of you have both the Sonys and other TWS' mentioned here. One other thing that is pretty important to me is the size of the case, given that I often carry it in my pocket. The XM4 case was fine, smaller would be nice but not a huge deal. Larger might be an issue, however.

To be honest, ANC is not a dealbreaker for me, however I do like having ambient sound mode, good for times when I'm in high traffic areas and want to be aware of my surroundings. Codecs and such are also probably not something crazy important to me (I like good sound, but I'm sure I'm not as refined of a listener as you all).

My price point I'm shooting for is probably in the ~250-400 range, so I was looking at the Noble FoKus Mystique, as it seems to be cut from a similar cloth as the Hylas. That said, seems like there are other new options (Gemini 2, MTB, Hifiman) that are being talked about right now. I'm in the Chicago area, not sure if any of these can be tried anywhere? (looks like Best Buy has the Gemini, but only for shipping). I've considered just going with the XM5s given how good Sony's support was for me, but I feel that seems like such a "mainstream" option, doing something a little different has me hoping there is a better choice.

Thanks in advance, all. Going to keep doing my research, but as always these things can be overwhelming if you're jumping in fresh after a few years.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #57,619 of 63,207
In the US at least they will ship them to you from the store.
Thanks - from the website that wasn’t clear and seemed to not be the case

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #57,622 of 63,207
Hey all, I've been out of the headphone game (at least the shopping/researching part) for a few years now, hoping I could get some advice here (if you think it would be better to just start a new thread, LMK).

Pre-pandemic I was using wired IEMs for my commute as I would end up at a desk all day, so wired wasn't a big deal. I had (and still have) a set of Hyla CE-5's powered by a Chord Mojo, and I really like them. I think the hybrid design is fun, and I love the sound of the DD over strictly BA IEMs. Nowadays, that setup has been relegated to home (I WFH most of the time now), and while I'm considering getting non-IEMs for home and selling the Hylas, thats a separate discussion.

In 2021 I picked up some Sony WF-1000XM4s that I enjoyed well enough. Nothing compared to the Hylas, but they were fine for when I was out and about. Now the Sonys are not holding a charge, and Sony has offered me a full refund ($250). Seems like the hi-fi TWS market has a lot more offerings than when I looked before, and I see some of you have both the Sonys and other TWS' mentioned here. One other thing that is pretty important to me is the size of the case, given that I often carry it in my pocket. The XM4 case was fine, smaller would be nice but not a huge deal. Larger might be an issue, however.

To be honest, ANC is not a dealbreaker for me, however I do like having ambient sound mode, good for times when I'm in high traffic areas and want to be aware of my surroundings. Codecs and such are also probably not something crazy important to me (I like good sound, but I'm sure I'm not as refined of a listener as you all).

My price point I'm shooting for is probably in the ~250-400 range, so I was looking at the Noble FoKus Mystique, as it seems to be cut from a similar cloth as the Hylas. That said, seems like there are other new options (Gemini 2, MTB, Hifiman) that are being talked about right now. I'm in the Chicago area, not sure if any of these can be tried anywhere? (looks like Best Buy has the Gemini, but only for shipping). I've considered just going with the XM5s given how good Sony's support was for me, but I feel that seems like such a "mainstream" option, doing something a little different has me hoping there is a better choice.

Thanks in advance, all. Going to keep doing my research, but as always these things can be overwhelming if you're jumping in fresh after a few years.
I don't have either of these - so hard for me to recommend something. Are you going to use them for calls? Need multipoint?

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #57,623 of 63,207
I don't have either of these - so hard for me to recommend something. Are you going to use them for calls? Need multipoint?
Hey thanks for the reply!

Calls will definitely happen, but it'll be typically in an office environment in a quiet room, and definitely secondary to music/audiobook listening.

I didn't have multipoint for a long time on my sonys, and honestly it wasn't a big deal. Once i got it, i used it, but not having it again isn't a make or break feature by any stretch.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #57,624 of 63,207

I’m in a similar boat. I think it’s clear the Gemini 2s are good but no where near $450 good. The MTBs are $400 and we know nothing about them except for the praise of a few folks which doesn’t give me a ton of confidence (yet). All it will take is one or two people saying they’re no good and you will probably never hear about them ever again.

Looking forward, I’m super interested in the Svanar LE. Looks like the trade offs are no LDAC, no wireless charge, and less premium materials in the same exact package for $200 less. I’m definitely in for that. Mystiques I have not tried but there are no ambient modes to speak of.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #57,625 of 63,207
I’m in a similar boat. I think it’s clear the Gemini 2s are good but no where near $450 good. The MTBs are $400 and we know nothing about them except for the praise of a few folks which doesn’t give me a ton of confidence (yet). All it will take is one or two people saying they’re no good and you will probably never hear about them ever again.

Looking forward, I’m super interested in the Svanar LE. Looks like the trade offs are no LDAC, no wireless charge, and less premium materials in the same exact package for $200 less. I’m definitely in for that. Mystiques I have not tried but there are no ambient modes to speak of.
You sure on no ambient mode on mystique? I thought that they had ambient but not ANC?

EDIT: yeah, mystique has ambient:

The FoKus Mystique also features improved microphone placement compared to the FoKus Pro with the microphone being placed on the faceplate rather than the side of the shell. This allows the FoKus Mystique to feature crystal clear call quality, and "Ambient Mode".

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #57,626 of 63,207

I was told through a FB post that Gemini's will get more software updates soon - hopefully, remove some of the bas bloat some think they have - or better EQ as I am also interested in them as well as MTBs.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #57,627 of 63,207
You sure on no ambient mode on mystique? I thought that they had ambient but not ANC?

EDIT: yeah, mystique has ambient:

The FoKus Mystique also features improved microphone placement compared to the FoKus Pro with the microphone being placed on the faceplate rather than the side of the shell. This allows the FoKus Mystique to feature crystal clear call quality, and "Ambient Mode".

Ah good catch, that’s interesting. Idk why I thought they were hifi mode only

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #57,628 of 63,207

If using Apple - my AirPods Pro 2 with foam is outstanding and works. But they aren't as clear of fun as some others - they just work, and I can go to apple and fix things...

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #57,629 of 63,207
If using Apple - my AirPods Pro 2 with foam is outstanding and works. But they aren't as clear of fun as some others - they just work, and I can go to apple and fix things...
Yeah i forgot to mention that part, I'm on a Pixel 6 pro, probably moving to P8 pro soon, and I don't use Apple products at all (and won't be in the future).

Oct 19, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #57,630 of 63,207
Yeah i forgot to mention that part, I'm on a Pixel 6 pro, probably moving to P8 pro soon, and I don't use Apple products at all (and won't be in the future).
I'll let others comment then, as I am 100% Apple - expect a DAP. It's work and easier for a few reasons. I'd wait a week or so if you want to see more reviews of some of the options mentioned here. I'm not sure if people feel the new Sony's are an upgrade. I read a review on Amazon that was very long and good - a lot of pros and cons and seemed to be very honest and balanced. - one of the recommend reviews they list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back